packing

I am trying to pack light for my upcoming cruise. I am mix and matching everything so I can wear it a number of times. My big suitcase was damaged on my last trip and I got rid of it. Trying to avoid buying new luggage and the new restrictions I was trying to make my small case do. It is like a carry on case. Today I got it out and packed a few of the outfits I have set aside already for the trip. I have always rolled my clothes. On the boards I have heard people talking about putting them in large zip lock bags. I have also seen the packing cubes. What is the best way? The only problem I have is I am dead set I want to take 2 coats. One for excersions that is water proof and another one that is so very cute I want it for on the ship. The water proof one I could take it with me on the plane, but the other one still takes up 1/2 the case. Any suggestions? I guess I am going to be buying a new case.

Suitcases are so cheap now, I say go ahead and buy one!

I've ordered from www.ebags.com alot -- check out their "lightweight" section, you can find big suitcases that are 12lbs.

If you don't want to order online, you can also find good cheap luggage at TJ Maxx and Target.

If you insist on using a carry-on only , maybe you could "wear" your bigger coat and pack the smaller one? Then stow it above or hold it across your lap.

Where are you cruising to? I have never brought a jacket to the Caribbean. Even in the winter when flying from Wisconsin I've only worn a sweater for travel.

On our last cruise I did carry on only and I will next trip to.

You asked about ziplocks or the packing cubes. I use 2 gallon ziplocks. I use them because I like to be able to throw them away after I have packed dirty clothes on the way home.

Kelly

Where are you cruising to? I have never brought a jacket to the Caribbean. Even in the winter when flying from Wisconsin I've only worn a sweater for travel.

On our last cruise I did carry on only and I will next trip to.

You asked about ziplocks or the packing cubes. I use 2 gallon ziplocks. I use them because I like to be able to throw them away after I have packed dirty clothes on the way home.

Kelly

Alaska in mid September. I think the average temp for September in most of our stops is in the 50's. I am from MS and don't do Cold weather at all. Yes in MS 50's is cold. They say the wind of Glacier Bay is very cold.

I've ordered from www.ebags.com alot -- check out their "lightweight" section, you can find big suitcases that are 12lbs.

If you don't want to order online, you can also find good cheap luggage at TJ Maxx and Target.

If you insist on using a carry-on only , maybe you could "wear" your bigger coat and pack the smaller one? Then stow it above or hold it across your lap.

Thanks after seeing those cases I just have to have one. They have one that is called apple green it is so ugly and i love it. I hate watching for my luggage going on the turn table.

We are firm believers in the packing cubes. We used them last year while on a trip to Italy for a month. It was so nice to pull the cube with the underware out or the one containing the shirts and end up going through the suitcase looking for things. Oh, and we didn't need to iron anything, including my linen pants.

Judee

Love Ebags!!! We ordered ours from them also and love their products and their website. we tried the luggage we were looking at in Macy's, but ordered it online as it was soooo much cheaper.

I say to go ahead and buy another suitcase. It is always better to have more options than not...and since you are going to Alaska.....you probably need the coat.

As for packing, I use the ziplock bags for some things (panties, bras, swimwear, tiny tees, socks.....) and then I roll the longer items. I always do great packing for the trip (sometimes takes a few weeks)...my problem is packing for the trip home!! Hate taking time out of my vacation to fit everything back into my suitcases.

There is so much out there, you really have to go see for yourself what would work best for you.

Well made luggage is not cheap. Cheap luggage is not well made, there's just no way around that one. The only similarity is the shape, most suitcases are rectangular. I look at the luggage sold at TJ Maxx, JC Penney, Costco etc... and there is a huge difference in quality.

I work part time in a luggage store, currently we only sell pretty high end stuff and I meet people every time I'm there who are shocked at the price. The next customer walking through the door will not blink at paying a lot.

I will tell you that while Ebags is convenient to search and look at pieces, it is most of the time not cheaper than going to a store for purchase. Unless you know what you want and cannot get it close to home, or they have free shipping, you will pay more online. It's best used for people who cannot get out to shop or don't have a luggage store within a reasonable distance from home. But please, read the comments on the page with the stuff, pay attention to fabric, size, weight.

So, your best bet is to go to a luggage store that has trained staff to educate you on luggage choices. I'm not saying that cheap luggage doesn't work for people, don't spend way more than you can afford. Just buy what your own personal needs are. If you only travel once or twice a year it doesn't make as much sense to invest in high quality. Frequent travelers need cases that can stand up to the rigors of travel and the gorillas that throw their bags around.

Would one slip into the other and simply carry. I travelled to northern Alberta in April with carryon only. I wore my LL Bean fleece(black) and carried my lined raincoat. It was 10C with I arrived and 4 days later -10C from kneedeep snow, lol. I had gloves in my pocket and did fine.

" I look at the luggage sold at TJ Maxx, JC Penney, Costco etc... and there is a huge difference in quality"

I cannot agree with you on this one..................I was at Marshall's just yesterday with a friend who was buying luggage. The buys were unbelievable and even better than the luggage I recently purchased on ebags. We are not talking cheap brands either!

There is so much out there, you really have to go see for yourself what would work best for you.

Well made luggage is not cheap. Cheap luggage is not well made, there's just no way around that one. The only similarity is the shape, most suitcases are rectangular. I look at the luggage sold at TJ Maxx, JC Penney, Costco etc... and there is a huge difference in quality.

I work part time in a luggage store, currently we only sell pretty high end stuff and I meet people every time I'm there who are shocked at the price. The next customer walking through the door will not blink at paying a lot.

I will tell you that while Ebags is convenient to search and look at pieces, it is most of the time not cheaper than going to a store for purchase. Unless you know what you want and cannot get it close to home, or they have free shipping, you will pay more online. It's best used for people who cannot get out to shop or don't have a luggage store within a reasonable distance from home. But please, read the comments on the page with the stuff, pay attention to fabric, size, weight.

So, your best bet is to go to a luggage store that has trained staff to educate you on luggage choices. I'm not saying that cheap luggage doesn't work for people, don't spend way more than you can afford. Just buy what your own personal needs are. If you only travel once or twice a year it doesn't make as much sense to invest in high quality. Frequent travelers need cases that can stand up to the rigors of travel and the gorillas that throw their bags around.

I disagree with this -- Atlantic brand is a pretty sturdy cheap luggage brand. My whole family were Tumi toters for years because we thought "You get what you pay for". But the atlantic set i bought from ebags 7 years ago are still useable, and nothing, including the wheels and handle have broken off. I paid $300 for a 5-piece set. $300 gets you a doppkit from Tumi.

I disagree with this -- Atlantic brand is a pretty sturdy cheap luggage brand. My whole family were Tumi toters for years because we thought "You get what you pay for". But the atlantic set i bought from ebags 7 years ago are still useable, and nothing, including the wheels and handle have broken off. I paid $300 for a 5-piece set. $300 gets you a doppkit from Tumi.

I went to AAA travel seminar and they highly recommend Atlantic luggages. It was also recommended on the Oprah show.

I'm not familiar with the Atlantic brand, the luggage I am referring to that is sold at places like TJ Maxx and other stores certainly aren't priced at $300 a set, either, it's more like under $100-150 for a set and I think people are lucky they survive one flight. I'm sure there are some pieces that are better built than other inexpensive brands, which is the real reason it's best to see a piece in person rather than buying unseen online. You're lucky your piece is holding up well, I see even expensive pieces broken by the airlines and have to wonder how a lesser made piece would have fared the abuse.

But, you're right in that expensive isn't the only criteria for well made anything. I've seen luggage that is junk (to me) but carries a designer name, such as Kate Spade, at a ridiculously high price.

I will still stand by my opinion that you cannot put cheap and well made into the same statement.

I wish I would have known that before I got my 3 piece Kenneth Cole Reaction set Luggage but I couldn't resist that deal for $150.61 for all 3. But dang, the 29" is like 16 lbs. Oh well, I still love it.

I have a couple of pieces of Atlantic luggage and they have held up very well. My 29' bag has been on several cruises and is in perfect condition. My husband has also used it to fly with on business trips - it's his favorite bag. I bought it on sale at Kohls. I've also ordered a number of things from ebags and have always received good quality and service.

Michelle

This may seem cliche' but my L.L.Bean suitcase is my favorite..comes with shoe bag, suit bag, many pockets, mesh divider,,soft outside, travels well in airports,BOATS and car. FYI...

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=sportsmans-carry-on-rolling-garment-bag&categoryId=39065&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=4518&cat4=2911&shop_method=pp&feat=4518-tn&np=Y

I buy all my luggage at TJ Maxx or Marshall's. Look for sturdy, good zippers and lightweight luggage. I have Atlantic and some Delsy pieces. The airlines and cruiseships really beat them up, so don't buy really expensive luggage.

I also bought this really bright dayglow orange piece and believe me it's great in the "Sea of Luggage." If it's tacky looking I don't care.

I use the packing cubes as well. Very easy to keep everything organized, but I do wonder if it makes my luggage a bit heavier. I just like things more organized.

I did Alaska in May last year and the weather was in the 60's. My advice would be to leave the heavy jacket home.

I wore my LL Bean Gortex mid length rain jacket with hood and layered cotton mock turtlenecks with a fleece zip up vest and the Gortex jacket. It was perfect. If it got warm, I took the off the rain jacket and just wore the turtleneck and vest. I was very comfortable. I did bring one lightweight cashmere pull over sweater as well. Bring light gloves and a scarf for your neck and a hat.

Archived