Snorkeling with 8yo?

LoneStarMama

We went with a family I met through our roll call. They had a five yo and a 13 yo. Went with Rosi and Mystic Snorkel. She is great with kids. A good time was had by all! There were just 8 of us on the boat, a really great day.

This is a good recommendation for a boat snorkel trip. The better snorkeling is only accessible by boat.

If you want to avoid the boat trip, I'd recommend a day at Chankanaab Park. It has decent shore snorkeling along with a bunch of other stuff to do.

http://www.cozumelparks.com/eng/parks-chankanaab.asp

Just have to take one of the many available taxis there. Be sure to agree to the fare before you get in the taxi and try to have exact change. Tipping for a taxi ride is NOT customary in Cozumel. There will be taxis waiting at the park when you are ready to leave the park.

Hmmmm, Cheesehead, I do always ask for the price of the taxi but it's always what's posted at the stand. AND, I always tip! Is that rude??? I don't want to be rude but I feel cab rides are such a good deal, I want to give the driver extra. I do know it's considered rude to tip for services in some countries but didn't think Mexico was one of them.

And, with a five yo, I'm sure a parent would be beside them and with a life vest, a float board and Rosi's watchful eyes, I wonder if a kid wouldn't be safer on a small snorkel excursion as opposed to on their own at Chank? I love Chank, too...just wondering!

xxxooo

Hmmmm, Cheesehead, I do always ask for the price of the taxi but it's always what's posted at the stand.
The fares aren't posted at every place a taxi might stop, so it is always a good idea to confirm the fare before you get in the taxi.

AND' date=' I always tip! Is that rude??? I don't want to be rude but I feel cab rides are such a good deal, [/quote']It isn't rude, it just isn't customary unless the driver has really gone out of his way to provide service, such as help you load luggage.

The fares aren't posted at every place a taxi might stop, so it is always a good idea to confirm the fare before you get in the taxi.

It isn't rude, it just isn't customary unless the driver has really gone out of his way to provide service, such as help you load luggage.

Thanks, Bruce! I've never understood the whole tipping thing, anyway. So hard to figure out who gets what why and when! I wish everyone was just paid a living wage by their employers and leave me out of evaluating whether or not they did a good job! But, I digress.

I'm just happy to find a smiling face, pretty easily, to take me where I need to go. And, as far as going out of their way, why the ride itself is better than a roller coaster at Disney World! :D

Donna

Thanks, Bruce! I've never understood the whole tipping thing, anyway. So hard to figure out who gets what why and when! I wish everyone was just paid a living wage by their employers and leave me out of evaluating whether or not they did a good job!
That is the way the Australians view the whole "tipping" thing as well.

Hi,

We just got back from Cozumel and spent the day at Paradise Beach. Next door and the San Francisco Beach there was a hut with beach activities and a glass bottom boat. They took us to 3 different reefs there were 4 of us and it was $25pp. We enjoyed this much more then a cruise group with toms of people. There were no other people at our stops. They provided all the equiptment and the guide got into the water with us. hth.

You might talk to Chellie at Eagle Ray Divers. They are wonderful! The groups are very small. I think there were eight in our group when we went. My friend was very afraid, and they took great care of her. She has asthma, and at one point she got strangled. All three of the staff members were on her in seconds. The seas were VERY rough that day. They are very caring, and it is truly important to them that you have a great time. Go check out their website. I don't think you could go wrong with them. Also, I would consider getting your child a snorkle vest. The vests really make snorkling much more enjoyable, and you won't have to worry as much.

Archived