Atlantis 2009 - Baltic Jul 4th and Labor Day Med/incl Egypt?

Atlcple

I heard a rumor that Atlantis in 2009 will be offering a July 4th Baltic cruise as well as a Labor Day cruise aboard the Solstice from Rome to Rome with a stop in Egypt.

Can anyone confirm either cruise and if so can you provide any more details?

That would be cool, although Egypt is a predominantly Muslim country and not exactly "enlightened" with regard to gay men. A few years ago a bunch of men on a Nile cruise were arrested for what was perceived as lewd behavior. I think they were eventually released, but only due to strong international pressure.

We should hear more Sun. night or Mon., when people get back from the Med cruise.

I am waiting to hear from friends on the Baltic cruise which leaves tommorrow about more 2009 itineraries.

Mike

I just rec'd an update from a friend who is on the Navigator cruise as follows:

A new 10 day Baltic with 1 sea day over July 4th.

A 10 day Egyptian Med one from Rome with 3 sea days.

That's all the details that I know so far...

I just rec'd an update from a friend who is on the Navigator cruise as follows:

A new 10 day Baltic with 1 sea day over July 4th.

A 10 day Egyptian Med one from Rome with 3 sea days.

That's all the details that I know so far...

While it's possible that there would be an Egyptian cruise marketed that way, I have little faith that the port call would actually happen. Buyer beware on that one.

Much like the twice marketed, never actually made the stop at Kusadasi (Epheseus), I suspect this will be the same thing. For one reason or another. Either the cruise line won't allow the ship in that corner of the world, or there would be an issue. IF you book this one, just don't be upset if that port call doesn't happen.

I could be completely wrong, but I'm suspicious.

Sailing for August 29th looks open. The ship is currently planned to do 12 day cruises next summer in Eastern Med (Note that the Atlantis cruise would be probably 10). The current itin for other non-Atlantis sailings hits Alexandria and Kusadasi.

The next sailing is the Sept 18th from Rome. That would leave room for a 10 and 12 day sailing (if my math is right).

Sounds very plausible

just back off the Navigator BCN-ROM 2008 cruise - FANTASTIC!

The Atlantis brochure we were given on the ship for 2009 includes-

Baltic Cruise

July 2 - 12, 2009

Holland America Eurodam

2 Jul Copenhagen

3 Jul Warnermunde (Berlin)

4 Jul Sea

5 Jul Tallinn, Estonia

6 Jul St Petersburg

7 Jul St Petersburg

8 Jul Helsinki

9 Jul Stockholm

10 Jul Stockholm

11 Jul Aarhus, Den

12 Jul Copenhagen

Med Cruise

Aug 28 - Sep 6 2009

Celebrity Solstice

28 Aug Rome

29 Aug Sea

30 Aug Sea

31 Aug Alexandria, Egypt

1 Sep Rhodes

2 Sep Mykonos

3 Sep Santorini

4 Sep Sea

5 Sep Naples

6 Sep Rome

They also have a Mar 28 - Apr 2009 cruise Hong Kong to Singapore on the Azamara Quest. The ship only holds 695 guests so this is likely be to a fast sell out.

We booked for the Baltic and have started the count down and saving up the next round of frequent flyer miles....

:cool:

This '09 info is much appreciated, Rhino305. I'm glad to see that Atlantis is now using itineraries that begin and end in the same city. That makes booking airtravel much easier (and maybe a little cheaper?).

You're right about the Hong Kong/Singapore cruise. It sold-out in about 2 weeks to Alums, so I don't think it will even appear in any new advertising or on their website.

I'm looking at that Rome/Rome cruise you listed, but also considering the 9-night RSVP river cruise in early August '09 from Paris to Prague. Either way, Rich Campbell gets teh majority of my travel budget!

So many choices, so little time (and $$)! :eek:

just back off the Navigator BCN-ROM 2008 cruise - FANTASTIC!

The Atlantis brochure we were given on the ship for 2009 includes-

Baltic Cruise

July 2 - 12, 2009

Holland America Eurodam

Med Cruise

Aug 28 - Sep 6 2009

Celebrity Solstice

:cool:

Thanks Rhino....could I trouble you to list the lowest price ranges for both cruises? Inside cabin (steerage), port chge, taxes?

Atlcple- here are some of the prices as listed from Atlantis....

Baltic Cruise

July 2 - 12, 2009

Holland America Eurodam

Port charges $280, $9/day fuel surcharge (subject to change), gratuities to be paid onboard

There are about 35 catagories but this the lowest in each class

NN Std Inside cabin $1899

K Large Inside $2149

F Large Outside $2659

VH Dlx Verandah $2749

SZ Spr Verandah $3799

3rd or 4th person $1299

Med Cruise

Aug 28 - Sep 6 2009

Celebrity Solstice

Port charges $260, fuel surcharge $9/day (sub to change), prepaid gratuities $132 to $100 per person depending on room class

11 Interior-Plza deck $1949

9 Interior $2099

2C Verandah $2599

C2 Concierge Verandah $2999

3rd/4th person $1399

I know this is really early to be asking this, but did Rich give any indication if he will repeat this in 2010? I'm leaning toward not doing it in 2009, but for 2010 I may be interested. Or maybe it depends on whether it sells out or not?

Is the RSVP River Cruise just open to previous RSVP customers right now? I don't see it on their website but it sounds interesting!

I know it's not up on their website, but if you contact RSVP they'll send you a pdf file with their entire '09 offerings. One '09 cruise is up on the website. The back-to-back river cruises are not.

Both river cruises are in August '09. The first is 2 nights in Paris, then 7 nights cruising through Bavaria to Nuremburg. The post-cruise is 2 nights in Prague. The second starts with 2 nights in Prague and 7 nights cruising from Nuremburg through Austria and ending in Budapest. The river ship is the ms Amalyra - brand new (just beginning service in May '09, I think) and the company is Amadeus Waterways. You can google them and check out the accommodations, servicess, amenities, etc.

I'm seriously thinking of River Cruise 1 since it's been a while since I was in Paris and I've never been through Bavaria. (And, my birthday happens to fall during that itinerary. :p )

It'd be great to have you onboard, too. Keep me posted.

Friends are returning from the Constellation cruise to the Baltic and frantically texted to tell us about the Solstice 09 cruise on Atlantis. they all held cabins. When and how do the regular guys book?...lol It isn't on the web page yet, and I'm not sure if they will let you get on the "waiting list" to book.

Atlantis typically puts the next year's comparable month cruise on sale to the current year's similar month cruise (e.g. January Cruise for 2010 will go on sale first to people on the January 2009 cruise). Atlantis also typically has several cruises that are similar each year (January Caribbean, October California/Mexico, Summer Europe, etc) The practice of releasing the next year's similar cruise to current pax is a home run for Atlantis who can have 25-35% of the ship sold before they finish the current year's cruise. There is a method to this madness (i.e strike while the iron is hot). However, it is often not "fair" to others who would like an equal shot at specific cabins etc, but weren't on the specific sailing where sales for a new cruise first accepted.

There have been two recent exceptions to this rule, the first being the initial Baltics cruise in 2007, and just recently, the acceptance of reservations for the 2009 Asia cruise. Each of those were first marketed on land via email, to alumni passengers, stratified into groups by number of prior trips taken. This process seems to have worked well (so well that the 684 pax Asia cruise sold out before being offered to the general public). I'm not sure why Atlantis hasn't moved towards this for all their cruises, other than it's simply easier to tempt people who are almost at the end of their vacations, with an added bonus of being "the first to book". Often the repetitive same period cruises use the same (or same class) ship. Thus the deck/cabin layouts are the same offering the ability to have the "same room" on next year's ship. That was the case on the 2008 London-Barcelona cruise that was first released on the 2007 Baltics cruise. They both will sail on the Celebrity Constellation, and it was great for me to be able to simply fill out a card saying I wanted the same cabin on next year's cruise, and not have to even go to the Future Cruise Sign Up circus. (very similar to "families" having the same cabin at the shore or in the mountains for their summer vacation).

For those that weren't on the 2007 Baltics cruise, cabin choices were exceedingly limited when it went on sale to the general public. However, I think they cleared almost everyone who chose a space on the waitlist.

Again, ALL THAT SAID, Rich Campbell often says that if you book on the waitlist, when stuff goes on sale to the general public, you will almost certainly clear. That may not be true for either the highest end suites or the few bottom category cabins, but if you just want one of the more common cabin categories (inside, outside window, balcony, etc) then there is usually not a concern. Obviously that rule will NOT apply to the Asia cruise, as there just aren't that many cabins on offer, and demand was HUGE.

I have had this discussion with many alumni pax and they all agree that the fairest way would be to announce it on the website, with an "On-Sale" date much like concert tickets are sold, without any regard to alumni status. Then pax and travel agents could fight it out. There were some great stories of alumni scrambling for reservations for the Asia cruise, but in the end, it was the most fair and efficient method yet employed.

so, in regards to your original question, get on the waitlist once the office staff gets back from the Baltics cruise, and you will probably clear. It's a huge ship, there will be lots of cancellations. However, as I wrote in my original comment in this thread, don't be heartbroken if that stop in Alexandria doesn't happen. While the world is becoming a more enlightened place every year, Atlantis is starting to head to some really exotic places. I'm just not sure those places are ready for us.

I just got off the phone with Atlantis. Very nice and helpful. provided the same info as was posted here. Friends Had sent a message while they were on the recent baltic cruise and we are excited about the Egypt/Mediterranean cruise for 09.

UNFORTUNATELY... i am unable to get on a waiting list or even get notice once the rome/greece egypt cruise is available to book. What's up with that? I have no problem with allowing past sailings and those returning from the baltic cruise dibs on a room, but why not have a contact list so they could book me the day I am allowed to? I doubt it will sell out so i guess i don't see their point...

Best she told me was just keep watching the web site and it should be posted in a month or so...

Now that's customer service!:rolleyes:

Just returned from the Baltic cruise -- great trip!! My partner and I (along with 2 other couples) booked the 2009 Solstice Med Cruise while on board. Actually, we've already picked out staterooms! The 2009 Asia Cruise was in the brochure as well but is already sold out (in 3 days according to Rich).

The itinerary info posted above is correct -- leave from Rome, two wonderful sea days, a stop in Alexandria, Rhodes, an "overnight" in Mykonos (ship leaves at 4am the next day), Santorini, another sea day, Naples and back to Rome. Really looking forward to all those sea days on the Med!!

Not sure about the Alexandria port call pessimism noted above -- anything can, of course, happen. Actually, Atlantis did indeed make a stop last year in Kusadasi -- we were on the Atlantis Med back-to-back cruises in '08 with a stop in both Kusadasi and Istanbul and had a great and very welcoming visit (rainbow flags everywhere -- they know how to market!). Granted, Turkey is more progressive than Egypt, but we're definitely willing to wait and see -- if the port is canceled, c'est la vie!

By the way -- I read and research a lot on these boards but this is my first time posting -- be gentle!!:)

Wow! I'm stunned Atlantis would even think of going to Egypt. I went on the NCL Jewel and did an overnight in Cairo last year and it was a fantastic cruise and excursion offered by NCL. I can't envision people seeing a whole lot with only ONE day in Alexandria considering it takes nearly 3 hours each way on the desert road to get to Cairo.

As much as I give props to Atlantis to branching out to new places (finally). I hope that they return to Asia but call in China as I would love to see the Great Wall and go to Japan as well. Can't seem to find anyone locally who is interested in going on a hetero cruises to these places.

Next Atlantis needs a round the horn cruise in S. America or an Antarctica expedition cruise. That'd be really awesome! (Definitely not for the party crowd unless you want to freeze your kahunas off!!)

Check my post on the "Atlantis Asia Cruise" thread. Rich says in 2010 there will be two back to back cruises to Asia..one Beijing to Hong kong with a few stops in Japan...the other Hong Kong to Singapore.

I agree with you about Egypt...you have to spend several days there (Cairo and Luxor) to really see it. A few hours at the pyramids just won't do it justice.

Not sure about the Alexandria port call pessimism noted above -- anything can, of course, happen. Actually, Atlantis did indeed make a stop last year in Kusadasi -- we were on the Atlantis Med back-to-back cruises in '07[corrected per poster's followup] with a stop in both Kusadasi and Istanbul and had a great and very welcoming visit (rainbow flags everywhere -- they know how to market!).

By the way -- I read and research a lot on these boards but this is my first time posting -- be gentle!!:)

Yes, but prior to 2007, the European cruises were scheduled to stop at Kusadasi the prior two years. In both years, the stops never materialized. After the first year, it was obvious that cruise lines were not taking ships there (after the Istanbul terrorist events). However, the 2nd year cruse was marketed as such (with certainly no hope of any ship hitting there, let alone a Gay Charter). Now, maybe there was a HOPE of the cruise actually making the call, and thus Atlantis wished to advertise it as such, but I knew when we booked it that we'd never get there. Thus I was shocked, SHOCKED I tell you when Rhodes got substituted for Kusadasi. It didn't affect me, as I never believed we would call on Kusadasi, but I can tell you there is a huge difference between the amazing archaeological sites at Ephesus and the rocks on Rhodes.

Again, Alexandria is somewhat distanced from most of the concerns that cruise lines have with porting ships in the Eastern Med. However, I continue to be skeptical of that stop, for various reasons. Again I could be wrong, but it's certainly something to be aware of.

welcome to the boards!

Is the RSVP River Cruise just open to previous RSVP customers right now? I don't see it on their website but it sounds interesting!

You can book with an agent or with RSVP. Since the ships are small they dont really need to market them; word of mouth seems to sell them out. I am on the River Cruise and there were not many cabins left, so if this is something you might want to do; I would not wait. Feel free to contact me if you have more questions on the ship or cruise

• 1 month later...

Anyone know where I can see the 2009 Med and Baltic brochures? I thought I remember seeing them, someone had scanned the ones they were given on board, but cannot seem to locate them again. They both sound great. Not sure I can decide which one to go on.

Edited:

I found them.

http://www.mygaycities.com/MyGayCities/Atlantis%20Events%20Page.htm

Archived