First to Call on Costa Maya

rarescrambler

I read someplace last week that our Westerdam cruise in late October w/b the first ship to call on Costa Maya (on Fri., 10/31) after their reconstruction. I've read in other places where people are posting up their experiences and observations, having been there (obviously by means other than cruising) since Dean wreaked his havoc there last summer.

In thinking of planning excursions there, can someone provide feedback as to what may or may not be available at this port once it opens to cruiseships? We were originally planning to do a beach day based on people's comments on this forum, but my husband and BILs are interested in the ruins, so we may just send the guys that way. Are the ruins still available for an excursion? Is the snorkeling still great there, or were the reefs damaged by Dean?

Any info/insight would be appreciated.

I reccommend going on a tour to Chacooben with David and Ivan from Native Choice, the cost is $50pp and you will be back in plenty of time to stop off in town and shop at the tourist village before getting back on the ship. We had a great time with them prior to Dean and will be using them again in Dec. Ivan said they will be ready for the ships to arrive at the end of Oct.

Unrelated to this topic (though I am interested in Costa Maya):

Love your dog... I have black mini. Had a Salt and Pepper Mini until February.

Andrea

AND... Now back to regularly scheduled programming about Costa Maya

Crusing Bob,

Thank you for the invite to join the Roll Call. The truth is that I haven't joined because we're going to be w/my 2 sisters and their husbands and they're not into the Cruise Critic board (They love getting all the info I'm relaying to them, but they're not checking in like I am). This is going to be "family time", and I don't want to feel torn between wanting/needing to be 2 places at once.

Actually, very shortly after I joined this board a month or so ago, I came across a thread where someone was being flamed for not attending a Meet and Greet on a previous cruise. Not sure what the background was to this, or who was the flamer and who was the flamee, but I just don't want to get into any of that.

I thought I'd just lurk on the board and try to get my questions answered and gain as much info as I could to enhance our upcoming cruise, and if the opportunity arises (as it did yesterday with regard to parasailing on HMC) I'm more than glad to share my experiences.

Thanks for understanding.

I am also booked on that cruise and I see from the PortTime website that is the first ship scheduled to visit Costa Maya since the reconstruction. Originally, some of the Disney ships were scheduled to visit first, but Disney decided to replace it with another port.

I'm wondering if Costa Maya is still tentative for the Westerdam because as of yesterday the HAL website did not have any excusions available for booking.

I do hope we go there because I was also planning on booking something with Ivan's company.

Lynn

I reccommend going on a tour to Chacooben with David and Ivan from Native Choice, the cost is $50pp and you will be back in plenty of time to stop off in town and shop at the tourist village before getting back on the ship. We had a great time with them prior to Dean and will be using them again in Dec. Ivan said they will be ready for the ships to arrive at the end of Oct.

I second this recommendation...

Chacchoben was incredible, and David was GREAT! This excursion was a highlight of the cruise, and after the ruin tour they gave us the option to be dropped off at this beautiful beachside town (cant remember the name). There was lots of shopping, food, drinks (i got sick though from ice in a drink, so stick with bottled drinks) and the beach there was awesome! You can snorkel from the bars. There were a lot of massage tables out there too. Taxi ride back to the port was short and cheap. I can not stress enough how much we loved this excursion! :D

Wow, Eballgirl, thanks for your enthusiastic response! Can you give me some highlights of what this is about? I didn't think I was interested in it - not much at looking at old rocks, etc. Not to sound disrespectful of whatever these ruins are, but I've no idea what this is, and you've peaked my interest. I may end up tagging along w/the guys after all . . .

Wow, Eballgirl, thanks for your enthusiastic response! Can you give me some highlights of what this is about? I didn't think I was interested in it - not much at looking at old rocks, etc. Not to sound disrespectful of whatever these ruins are, but I've no idea what this is, and you've peaked my interest. I may end up tagging along w/the guys after all . . .

Ok, first I have to admit that I may be partial to this excursion because I got engaged there, but even if I hadn't, I still would have loved it! David who was our guide was soooo enthusiastic and knowledgable about ancient Mayans that it made me really interested in them myself.

Basically, we found them at the port and got into an air conditioned bus, took a drive to the ruins and on the way David told us about the area and Mayan culture. He even stopped to buy everyone on the bus some fresh pineapple slices, juice, and chili pepper. Once we got to the ruins we split into 2 groups (we stuck with David because we already liked him so much). He then took us around the entire site telling us about it, pointing out different things. Then after he was done he let us go on our own for a while, and before getting back on the bus there is a small shopping complex with local crafts, food, drinks, etc. On the way back they let those of us who wanted to off the bus at that town i was talking about. It may be the one that starts with an "M" that everyone is talking about being devostated and that it may not be the same after the storm. We did some shopping, had some drinks and food, we had plenty of time for this plus some. If we had had our bathingsuits we would have gone swimming in the crystal clear water. The only down side was that I got sick the next day, from what I think was the ice cubes in 1 drink that I had. Not a great way to start off my engagement and end our 1st cruise!

I just attemped to add some pictures and I can not figure it out...if I can later on I will be glad to! Just do a google search for their company, check our their website, I am sure they will be up and running!

They got me really into the Mayan history so much that anytime I see something on TV about them, i have to watch it. I will also be visiting more Mayan ruins this year in Belize!

The ruins tour sounds great! Is there any charge to swim at the beach in the village? My kids would love that. Thanks for any info.

I wouldnt imagine, the beachside bars had stools out in the water, so I assume that you could just go on out! There wasnt much of a sandy beach because of all the restraunts, etc. were right on the shore. But there were people out in the water. I remember lots of beach chairs and umbrellas though, I honestly do not know if they charge for them.

Archived