Family friendly FO cruises

Kez100

We are soon to travel on the Balmoral with two children - 12 and 10 - on a cruise billed as family friendly. We appreciate there is just a limited childrens facility but wondered what was on offer before we pack, perhaps, too many games and books etc for them.

We are also on an Arts club cruise (photography) and my 10 year old is a very good photographer for his age and I would like him to accompany me to,at least, the practical sessions. Is there any age limit imposed on the Arts Club sessions?

I notice the children are not allowed in the cards room. Is there anywhere suitable for playing family games (like scrabble)?

Guest Anorak33
We are soon to travel on the Balmoral with two children - 12 and 10 - on a cruise billed as family friendly. We appreciate there is just a limited childrens facility but wondered what was on offer before we pack, perhaps, too many games and books etc for them.

We are also on an Arts club cruise (photography) and my 10 year old is a very good photographer for his age and I would like him to accompany me to,at least, the practical sessions. Is there any age limit imposed on the Arts Club sessions?

I notice the children are not allowed in the cards room. Is there anywhere suitable for playing family games (like scrabble)?

When we were on Balmoral this year there were kids in the card room, I didn't know they weren't meant to be there and no-one objected. I would not think you would have a problem as long as it did not become so extremely rowdy that others could not play their games.

There could definitely be a problem with kids or anyone else playing games in the card room if there was bridge going on in there however. Those bridge players can get pretty mean.

Somehow the words Fred Olsen and family friendly don't really go well together for me.

When we were on there last time were few kids and consequently although families had been promised kids club etc FO did not provide them.

Thanks for your reply.

It's interesting you say a club was promised but not provided. That seems a bit naughty. Our cruise specifically says in the brochure 'family host aboard', or something like that. TBH I don't have a problem if there isn't a club - I am more than happy to have them with us doing things - but I'd prefer to know beforehand so we can take enough activities to do together. I may just ring to clarify the extent of the activities and then I will know from the horses mouth, so to speak.

I have sailed with Fred Olsen three times during the summer during what I could call peak season cruising time. The first time I went to the Baltic on Black Watch there were a lot of kids and they were entertained by 3 kids staff members, had their own dedicated room beside the Neptune Lounge and reserved times at the main pool. They also had other activities organised for them such as a Coketail party, deck quoits etc. This has been a pattern repeated for the Boudicca and the second Black Watch cruises I have been on. The kids have been very well behaved and you never really saw them. The cruises I have been on have been marked as 'family friendly' with 'hosts onboard'.

That's good to hear Braemar, thanks. Did the children join the parents in the evenings for the main meal? That's another thing I need to to work out - how many dresses to buy for my tom-boy daughter!

There were special Children's menus and when I was on Black Watch there was a special Childrens' Dinner laid on around 5pm ish in the Garden Cafe. Not sure what the arrangements will be on Balmoral but suspect they will be similar.

I have sailed with Fred Olsen three times during the summer during what I could call peak season cruising time. The first time I went to the Baltic on Black Watch there were a lot of kids and they were entertained by 3 kids staff members, had their own dedicated room beside the Neptune Lounge and reserved times at the main pool. They also had other activities organised for them such as a Coketail party, deck quoits etc. This has been a pattern repeated for the Boudicca and the second Black Watch cruises I have been on. The kids have been very well behaved and you never really saw them. The cruises I have been on have been marked as 'family friendly' with 'hosts onboard'.

That's good to hear as we sail on BW in 2 weeks with our son. Presumably we'll hear more details on the events you mentioned when we board on in the Daily Times.

There were special Children's menus and when I was on Black Watch there was a special Childrens' Dinner laid on around 5pm ish in the Garden Cafe. Not sure what the arrangements will be on Balmoral but suspect they will be similar.

This interests me as I had assumed, and want our son to dine with us in the evening. There's no point him going to an early childrens dinner when he'd just have to sit with us for dinner anyhow. As for a childrens menu, what does it offer? We've just come back from a wedding where he devoured the 'posh' adult menu in preference to the childrens!

Guest Anorak33
That is really helpful. I shall contact them to confirm what will be available for us.

Are you sure you don't want to take your children in to dinner with you in the dining room?

They are certainly old enough, and if you think they may not have the table manners already then its a great time for them to learn how to dine in public in a nice setting.

Of course we want them eating with us! The reason I thanked the poster was for giving me the heads up of what is available. I need to contact FO now to find out what the children are allowed to do, as given the reduced fare we paid for them there may be dining room meal restrictions -although I hope not!

They are better behaved than we are, I have no problem in that respect.

Son has just ordered a gold waistcoat and cravat, so he will be coming to the Captains Dinner even if there is a supplement!

I have seen children eat with their parents in the dining room so it is permitted. On a sideline I have found a children's menu from Boudicca 2 years ago...

Melon Cocktail

served with cubes of fruit jelly

Cream of Asparagus Soup

Breaded Scampi Tails

served with 'remolade' sauce and fried rice

Beef Steak

served with mixed salad, baked potato with bearnaise sauce and sweetcorn

Pancake

pankcake filled with vanilla cream and banana, served with chocolate sauce and coconut ice cream

Sponge pudding

served with vanilla sauce

Archived