Beach dive @ CoCo Cay

TexCruise371

Since it is an RCCL private island I would think that the only people you will find posting about it are here. Anyway, the last time we were there the dive shop was closed and we were left to snorkel. Not a great snorkel. We asked a life guard where the dive usually takes place when the shop is open and they pointed to an area just outside the rocks that enclose the lagoon. We attempted to try to get there to snorkel, but it was pretty hazardous-- sharp rocks and rough surf. Maybe that's why the dive shop was closed. We have been on two other cruises that couldn't make the stop because the water was too rough for tendering. We now avoid iteneraries that include CoCo Cay.

TexCruise:

DH and I did the shore dive at CocoCay in April 2007. It was just OK. They suit you up at the picnic tables near the scuba shack (and will lock up valuables) and you wade into the main snorkeling area. You surface swim in shallow water out to a buoy near the little island and drop down. Max depth is about 30 feet.

I think I saw more colorful fish on the snorkel out there than I did on the dive. On the dive we saw fish, a lobster, and a big ray zooming away. Very low-excitement. If you just want bottom time, go for it, but I think for the price, I'd just snorkel and save my diving for Nassau or somewhere else.

Good luck!

PHXscuba

"You can't have everything -- besides, where would you put it all?":D

Has anyone done this one?

Oh, I'm so sorry I misunderstood your question. I originally read your post as to asking about Cocoview Resort in Roatan, not the Royal Caribbean private island Coco Cay. Please disregard my original response.

We did it 2004, and DH swore never again. Well, we're doing the Sovereign in September, and my gills have been drying up, so I'm probably desparate enough to go, just to get wet.

Has anyone done the CocoCay dive recently?

Wendy

from our earlier trip

http://www.freewebs.com/wendyandkeith/cococay.htm

dive pix

http://community.webshots.com/user/wendyandkeith

We were in Coco Cay not all that long ago and didn't do the shore dive but opted to just snorkel it instead. I think it was a good call. The snorkeling area is huge, and there is plenty to see. The Water is very shallow in the snorkeling area. They have the replica "pirate" ship and a couple of airplane wrecks to look at. If you are doing one of the short cruises I would suggest snorkeling at Coco Cay and plan to SCUBA in Nassau with Stuart Coves. That is a much better SCUBA site in my opinion.

If you get a chance to get to Coco Cay I wouldn't skip the chance to snorkel it. If you do, go early in the day before the "thundering herd" stirs up the water near shore.

Yeah, BTDT on Stuart's Cove as well. http://www.freewebs.com/wendyandkeith/nassau.htm

We went to a completely dead rock reef, and the fish had the day off. I'm a marine biologist, so I can always find something cool to look at, but that pair of dives pretty much defeated even me. The most annoying thing was that it seemed to be a typical experience. It turned out to take almost all day, and was a bit spendy for our (lack of) dive time. That being said, I would love to do the shark trip, but FIL is along on this trip, and we can't be gone all day.

I found the most interesting snorkeling in CocoCay in the small seagrass bed just off-shore. My bobbing rear and waving feet over 'that wierd stuff' on the bottom attracted a couple of folks wanting to know what I was doing, and what on earth I was looking at, which started an impromptu show-and-tell. Before too long, I had group of about 20 folks looking at floating bits of seaweed, seagrass blades, hermit crabs, snails, worms, sea squirts, and loads of small crustaceans. Pretty cool.

I did make it out to the plane, but not out to the pirate ship, because I was getting a bit cold. This time, I'll head out to the ship first - thanks for the tip!

Wendy

I did Coco cay quite a few years ago. As I remember, we got our gear, walked and snorkeled to the left of the snorkel area and then did a 40 minute dive in 40ft. of water along the reef wall. Really didn't see anything, just got another log in my log book and got wet. But it was a dive! :)

Randall

Archived