Is 12:35am too early to fly out of SJU

I haven't seen this mentioned, but I have read on other threads that to some extent the speed in which the AOS clears customs depends on which itinerary you are on. If you are on the Aruba route the last stop is St. Thomas. All pax are required to clear customs in St. Thomas which in theory is supposed to make the process easier and therefore quicker in San Juan. If you are on the other itinerary, the process is supposed to take a little longer.

We are on the Aruba route in January and were looking at a flight that left at 10:40!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: Our TA contacted RCI's custom air department and was told that they are instructed to book flights for anytime after 10:00 A.M.!!! This surprised me as this seemed way too early. I have read that getting to the airport early is the key to avoiding long lines. Make sure you have the earliest colored tag and you should be fine. Years ago the airlines used to send trucks to the pier to check in bags, this process was brutal. I would keep your luggage with you. If you make the plane and it doesn't.......this just delays the mountains of laundry for a day or so. :) :)

Good Luck!

I fly American to SJU. They have there own side of the airport and never any of the zoo the rest of the airport experiences. If your flight is on this airline, you will have no problem

On the contrary. I, too, was on American and thats where we waited a half hour to get thru security and where the line behind us was 3 times as long. Thats also where there was a long line waiting to check in.

So, it CAN happen at any of the airlines.

I haven't seen this mentioned, but I have read on other threads that to some extent the speed in which the AOS clears customs depends on which itinerary you are on. If you are on the Aruba route the last stop is St. Thomas. All pax are required to clear customs in St. Thomas which in theory is supposed to make the process easier and therefore quicker in San Juan. If you are on the other itinerary, the process is supposed to take a little longer.

Very good point pltag!

Maybe you are right...we were on the Aruba route so when we had to wait to board the ship, the sailing before us was returning from the other route. Maybe that does make a difference.

If you are on the Aruba route, before you can debark in St Thomas everyone must go thru immigration on the ship. (and they mean everyone...children, babies...every person). I heard from others that had taken this cruise before that it normally takes about 15-30 minutes to go thru immigration in St Thomas, but for whatever reason, they only had 3 officials working that day so we waited in line for 2 hours (our family took turns standing in line while we all showered and dressed for the day) However, when we arrived in San Juan, we had to go thru it again. (yes..had to show our passport/id to customs again...but it was conciderably quicker.) So, I don't understand why we had to do it in St Thomas, when they made us do it again in San Juan.

That immigration fiasco in St Thomas was the only negative thing on our cruise. Everything else was wonderful!!!

We just got back from Adventure yesterday. We found that they called for flights that were between 10 and 12 as the first off the ship. The next wave of folks got off like 15 minutes later.

What we did was wait near the stairwell off to the left of the lyric theater on the 4th floor. There was a line forming here since this is one of the exit points. Got off the ship by 8:35, stay to the line on the right at customs. The line on the left moved slowly as there was only one agent as opposed to 3 agents working the right side. We found our luggage and got a taxi, got to the by 9:20 and were third in line at usair, about 10th in line at security. Got to the gate by 9:50 and then had to wait, airport got extremely busy about 11:00ish.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived