Enough time for it all!

susq2

We'll be cruising for the first time in Feb. to Belize. We definitely want to do the cavetubing/zipline tour. However, I also want to do the shopping that "Driftwood" had rec'd previously. With the tour being at least 6hrs., will we have the shopping time available? or should we just do the cavetubing and drop the zipline? I can't leave the port empty handed!!:D Most posters seem to have alittle time at the end of the excursion, but I don't want to run late and be the last to board. Thanks for the help.

Hello...

I think it's been three years since we were in Belize, but we found the best (quality) shopping right outside of the gates. There were several Guatemalan women there from right over the border selling beautiful weavings, huipiles, tablecloths, etc. for very good prices. Perhaps someone who's been there recently can tell us if they're still there.

We also went to a small craft center about 1/2 block from the gates and found some nice local primitive/naif paintings.

Everything that I saw in the stores seemed to be imported from other Central American countries or Mexico. At the time, I was told that Belize is not known for any particular craft export....ie. Panama/molas and Embera weavings, Guatemala/to numerous to mention, Costa Rica/carvings, little carts, hammocks, Nicaragua/wonderful pottery....not meant to limit what these countries have available, but it's nice to purchase something actually made in country.

I'm anxious to see a reply about current shopping in Belize...a bit outside of the ship area.

Happy shopping!

murphysmum:)

Archived