What are the Mexican Riviera waters like?

D+D

For a cruise next year, my wife and I are considering several cruises embarking from California Ports and cruising down the Baja Peninsula and along the Mexican Riviera.

So, here’s my question – In/Around the Sea of Cortez (Topolobampo, La Paz, and Cabo San Lucas, Mexico) and along the Mexican Riviera (Puerto Vallarta, Manzanillo, Zihuatanejo, Mazatlan, and Acapulco, Mexico) how do the beaches, but especially the color and clarity of the water, compare with those of the Caribbean and Bermuda?

Thanks,

D+D

Carnival Victory, 10/08 “A sea of blue and all the colors imaginable await you”

NCL Dawn, 6/08 “Shores distant shores, there's where I'm headed for.” – Guy Clark

NCL Spirit, 10/07 “My favorite thing is to go where I've never been.” - Diane Arbus

NCL Majesty, 4/07 “Forces pullin’ from the center of the [Caribbean] again; I can feel it.” - Live

NCL Spirit, 9/06 “I hope you understand, I just had to go back to the islands.” - Jimmy Buffett

Celebrity Horizon, 9/04 “You can die and go to heaven, I’ll go to Bermuda.” - Mark Twain

Carnival Inspiration, 9/97 “One doesn't discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore.” - Andre Gide

We've been snorkeling in several places in the Caribbean, in PV and Cabo and the Caribbean has definitely been much better in my experience. Clearer, warmer water and seemingly much more to see in the Caribbean. That said, however, I've seen a lot of whales getting to and from the snorkeling in Mexico which is really fun and not something you see in the Caribbean.

I prefer the beaches in the Caribbean as well, but since I live on the West Coast, I'll continue to cruise the Mexican Riviera because of price and other travel considerations.

Nope, not as pretty.

The temps of the water vary greatly by season. For us, October was like bath water. March was too cold to get in.

In cabo we like to got to Santa Maria Bay. Grab a sack lunch fron Senior Greenbergs. If you're brave, rent a car. It's not that hard to find the beach. Lots of fish. A guy there rents umbrellas and chairs. Good privacy.

In PV, go to Las Caletas, on the tour. You can snorkel there. It was fun.

The beaches are Mexican Beaches, however they do vary. I also love Stone Island in Mazatlan, and Los Gatos in Z---jo. Linda Vista Island in Ixtapa is nice too.

There is a world of difference between the Caribbean water and the Mexican Riveria water.

Don't let this stop you from doing a Mex Riviera cruise. Most of my cruises are Caribbean but I have done 2, 10 day Mex Riviera cruises and loved them.

Different sea, different water and conditions. Any attempt to make a fair comparison will be futile. The beaches at Cancun are artificial - dredged materials that have nearly destroyed coral reefs. Pacific Ocean beaches are natural, with varying sand composition and no environmental destruction. You can do in the water along the Pacific Coast what you can do along other coastlines.

We recently returned from an 8 night cruise through the Mexican Riviera (March 2008) and were not satisfied with the water at all. I guess we were spoiled by our 2 previous trips through the Caribbean. The water was cold and the undercurrents were so powerful we were forbidden from getting into the ocean. Also, the beaches are not white and the water looks brown. I still loved Mexico; however, and am going again on July 26, 2008. Just don't plan on snorkeling and plan to have fun doing other things in beautiful Mexico!! There's a lot of culture and great Margaritas to be had!!:)

Comparing the Pacific Mexico to the Caribbean is a little like comparing Alaska to the Baltic regions -- both are similar latitudes, both are extensively cruised, and that's where the comparison ends.

Go to Mexico to go to Mexico, not to repeat a cruise done in the Caribbean.

Tee

I'll just say that there is no comparison to the color of the beautiful Carribean waters and the waters of the Mexican Pacific ports. I was disappointed. I knew they would not be as pretty, but I did not expect them to be worse than the coast of Louisiana!

zit/ixtapa was the closest beach/water i found to the caribbean in all of mexico, we snorkeled there, it was ok, but the water was clear and warm,

i would go on a cruise there if you are looking for that,

Archived