port play on NCL whilst parents are on excursion

kdee69

Specifically Jade if at all poss but any NCL veterans might be able to help.

DH has finally talked me around to the idea of leaving the kids in the kids club whilst we visit Rome. (They would hate traisping around a city and we want to really pack loads in to the day - we've been before so we know this would work best)

However, I've just noticed that the kids can only be checked in from 9am which is certainly a reasonable time but not if we want to get to Rome.

I'm guessing that all the excursions leave prior to this time and as such, we probably won't make it.

Can anyone help?

I personally would be uncomfortable leaving my kids on the ship for an extended time without me - what if there's an emergency or something happens and you miss the boat? I know you were looking for an answer to your original question, but I felt I wanted to point out that something could go wrong while you are separated from your kids. I would maybe consider hiring a taxi driver/tour guide for a few hours, but leave PLENTY of time to get back to the ship, and maybe try to get a cell phone that will work in Europe before I would leave my kids on board.

I personally would be uncomfortable leaving my kids on the ship for an extended time without me - what if there's an emergency or something happens and you miss the boat? I know you were looking for an answer to your original question, but I felt I wanted to point out that something could go wrong while you are separated from your kids. I would maybe consider hiring a taxi driver/tour guide for a few hours, but leave PLENTY of time to get back to the ship, and maybe try to get a cell phone that will work in Europe before I would leave my kids on board.

I'm sorry you'd be uncomfortable, however, we have weighed up the options that's why we're looking at an NCL excursion as then the boat won't sail without us plus a taxi could break down and where would we be :eek: , also, we're European ourselves so our mobiles will work.

so, can anyone maybe assist with an answer re the timings?

Thx in anticipation

We haven't been on the Jade, but the Pride of America offered reservations-only port play times both before and after the 9-12 regular Kids' Crew times. I think it was $10 an hour extra, but I can't recall for certain. Reservations were due by the end of the previous night's session. I'm sure that the specific times available vary by ship and port, but I'm quite certain that they would be able to accommodate any hours necessary for a ship's excursion. Sorry I can't remember all the details, but I hope at least some of this will be helpful. Have a great cruise!

• 4 weeks later...

Last year the policy for NCL was that if you were booked on an NCL sponsored ships excursion that left before 9 am and you made prior arrangements with the kids crew then they would accommodate your child. The price was $5 per hour for the first child and $3 per hour for a second child. On Kauai our DS was the only participant in port play, so he had one on one care and went all over the ship that day. We were on the other side of the mountains and out of cell range, but we face the same problem at home on ski days.

You may want to post your question on the main NCL boards. There are a couple NCL crew members who post in that area who may have your answer.

Last year the policy for NCL was that if you were booked on an NCL sponsored ships excursion that left before 9 am and you made prior arrangements with the kids crew then they would accommodate your child. The price was $5 per hour for the first child and $3 per hour for a second child. On Kauai our DS was the only participant in port play, so he had one on one care and went all over the ship that day. We were on the other side of the mountains and out of cell range, but we face the same problem at home on ski days.

You may want to post your question on the main NCL boards. There are a couple NCL crew members who post in that area who may have your answer.

The policy was the same for our PoAm cruise a few weeks ago. You must sign up at least one day prior.

Archived