How in the World can you put everything into 1 suitcase???

SEA SOUNDS

[quote name='Jolimont']I'm facing the same dillema right now. The 3 of us are trying to go with 2 large suitcases and one garment bag because that's what fits into our little French car trunk. We'll see if it can be done, I have serious doubts. For shoes I'm taking 3 pairs: one pair of dressy sandals, one for getting wet, one for jogging. That's not much, is it? But if we each do the same that's 9-10 pairs of shoes!!! Scary stuff...[/quote]

Jolimont,

Where in France do you live? My DH and I have been to Cannes, Nice, Eze, and Monte Carlo. We are going back next year. I think the French Riviera is absolutely beautiful. We hope to visit other cities and villages this time.

browneyes7:)

[quote name='SEA SOUNDS']I am already thinking about how I am going to cut back and just bring 1 suitcase each. It is just myself and DH traveling and we usually each have a suitcase (under 50 lbs), a carry on, garment bag and a laptop carry case.

I really do not know how I can go with less. I think maybe this year I will forego the dressy nights and just eat buffet those nights. And shoes-----------------------oh my what am I gonna do?

What do you bring on your cruise? Have you or will you forget the dress up nights? It is hard to fold an evening gown and stick it into your suitcase, or even that little black dress????? An all those shoes......

Help!

SEA SOUNDS[/quote]

I am packing less this year due to airtravel luggage tights.
--Taking one pair of white, one pair of black slacks.
--5 tops that I can where with those white and black slacks.
--one pair of white, one pair of black capris
--a lot less shoes. I usually take 3 sandals, tennis shoes, 4 pairs of dress
shoes...My goodness what is it with us LADIES and the shoes.
This year, taking 1 pair of sandals, 3 pairs of dress shoes and wearing
the tennis shoes onto the plane.
--We are not taking stuff this year like shampoo, conditioner etc. that
stuff weights, we going to walmarts before going on the ship.

--So we will have one large suitcase each (me and hubby) and one carry-
on.
--Did I mention snorkel gear...only face mask and snorkel are packed, fins
are staying home. Fins weight a lot!

I am re-thinking my packing stratergy. I am definately not bringing many shoes this time. Maybe 2 pair of dress shoes and 2 pair of sandles, then wear my sneakers on the plane ride. They really take up alot of room.

We usually take a garment bag that holds DH's suit and dress shoes and my dresses and shoes, some shirts too. Also each of us brings 1 suitcase and a carry on. We like to bring our laptop to keep in touch with home so hubby hangs on to that and I bring a large handbag with small change of clothes in case we need it before we get our luggage.

I am not traveling until early next year but I am going to start making out my list now so I can decide on the lightest load to take...

Keep all the ideas coming-----I love it!!!!!!!!!!!1

SEA SOUNDS

I would never even attempt to put everything in 1 suitcase... I'll be lucky if I only have 2 :p I'll be shipping some things down for our cruise this fall, and I'm going to try to narrow it down from 3 to 2... it's going to be very close :eek:

I find that the more cruises I go on the less I take. I am only going to pack shorts tops and swimsuits, two pairs of shoes (three counting the one I am wearing) and just purchase sample sizes of personal items when I arrive at port.

That should about do it.

My MIL is a one bag world traveler.

She gets some items from TravelSmith.

http://www.travelsmith.com/

Their stuff is wrinkle resistant, you can roll it up and also wash in sink and air dry.

They even have a dress that's reversible so it turns into a 'simple black dress' and a patterned dress when reserved. She also packs lots of colorful scarves to dress up simple items for formal.

She also carries a collapsible rain hat for her weather gear.

http://www.ifactoryoutlet.com/product/1425-black-13-inch-twist-rain-hat

Her favorite item is a purse that slings very close to the body and worn mostly in front..she had her wallet lifted once.

I am trying very hard to heed all of these suggestions. Since we are flying via Delta an extra bag each, round trip would be $200.00. I can have a lot of fun with $200.00!

I think I can pare down, but coming back is going to be an issue. We usually stock up on duty-free booze: if I have to pay to fly it home it won't be worth the inital savings.

Then there is the shoe issue :eek:

My suitcase:

Black travel pants

Black travel skirt

Swimsuit

Cover up

Sun visor

Cocktail dress

White capris

Denim Capris

7 tops

3 pair of shoes (1 are flip flops)

I wear a Capri windsuit onboard with my running shoes....It's black and the jacket that is part of it doubles as my jacket for cool nights

I also roll my clothes, which saves space. And I make up my face at home like I would for formal night and take only that makeup....Instead of my huge makeup case. It fits in a small ziploc baggie. Then I take travel size shampoo and conditioner etc....The only thing I can't leave at home is my own hair dryer and a big round brush! Still...I take one suitcase, and a tote bag thrown over my shoulder....And I have room to spare. I wash the denim capri's and the white capri's mid trip and I'm all set. Of course...Packing for a family is a bit harder! :)

I have no intention of giving up formal nights! As for packing, I'm going to take what I want and pay the price. I don't overpack but I'm not going to skimp either.

i hear you.. i rather have what i need instead of wearing the same clothes over and over! by the way, i always bring my own shampoo and cond. because hotel brands are usually horrible.

Archived