Land tour to Mayan ruins?

Grits53

I have visited 3 Mayan ruins while cruising, and I just wasn't satisfied with the amount of time we were allowed at each one. The amount of time a ship spends in port just doesn't allow for enough time at the ruins. Does anyone know of a good tour company that does land based tours? I've done some google searches, but I'm afraid to do something like this with a company that I know nothing about. We could fly in to any city and go from there, but Merida seems to be one of the closest to these ruins. I am most interested in visiting Uxmal again and also Chichen Itza and hopefully another one or two. Thanks for your help! :)

You can book one of several tour companys right in your Merida hotel. Several languages are available. The one tour I booked was very good and included a great Mexican buffet at a hacienda and very reasonable. I was picked up right on time at my hotel, but with a group of Dutch. When we arrived at Chichen Itza, I was switched to an English speaking group. Pickup was at 9AM and arrived back about 4:30. Merida is a great city and I've made several two week vacations there. Check http://www.yucatantoday.com for some tour companys. To me, Uxmal is the best. More impressive, prettier and way less crowded.

Grits, if you're planning a land vacation to Merida and have questions, feel free to email me at http://www.hdawson228@aol.com

Grits. You can also rent a car in Merida to visit the ruins. I've done that twice to visit Uxmal, then hire a guide and then spend as much time as you like. To me, a car rental is the best way. Another thing to consider is to rent the car and book a couple of nights at the B&B in Santa Elaina (Flycatcher Inn) which is about ten miles from Uxmal and definitly visit Ticul which is ten miles the other way.

hdawson, thank you so much for your help! I might just be shooting you an email with specific questions. If I do, my address will begin with mamahen....just so you'll know it's me!

Someone on another board said there is a hotel located right next to Uxmal that is very nice. Do you know anything about it?

Grits. Check this map from Yucatantoday.com of Uxmall. You'll see two hotels and I recall seeing "The Lodge at Uxmal". The B&B was nice and interesting. Built in a jungle setting with lots of flowers and birds. Owned by a US expat and her Mayan husband. Includes a nice breakfast of fresh local fruit, homemade breads, fresh juice and GREAT coffee. Also a bit of extra knowlege of the Mayans and the local life style. Wrought iron furnishings are hand made by the hubby.http://www.yucatantoday.com/maps/uxmal.htm

Grits. Check this map from Yucatantoday.com of Uxmall. You'll see two hotels and I recall seeing "The Lodge at Uxmal". The B&B was nice and interesting. Built in a jungle setting with lots of flowers and birds. Owned by a US expat and her Mayan husband. Includes a nice breakfast of fresh local fruit, homemade breads, fresh juice and GREAT coffee. Also a bit of extra knowlege of the Mayans and the local life style. Wrought iron furnishings are hand made by the hubby.http://www.yucatantoday.com/maps/uxmal.htm

Thanks again. I have been looking at the hotels at Uxmal, and unfortunately there are some not-so-good reviews on The Lodge at Uxmal. For the price (about $250/night), I would expect more positive reviews than negative. It makes me a little nervous about this one. Have you stayed there before?

I found another one, the Villas Arqueologicas Uxmal (shown on the map as Club Med, but it has since changed ownership), that has a whole list of very positive reviews, plus its prices are amazingly low. A common theme in the reviews is that they don't understand how this place can keep its rates so low. I'm looking for more info on it now..... Apparently, the hotel itself does not have a web site.

I have two more questions regarding a possible stay at a hotel at Uxmal.

Which airport city would be best to fly into?

Do you think there would be tours available from an Uxmal hotel to Chichen Itza? I'm guessing the distance would be about an hour apart? Or more?

One more question. What is the best time of year to visit this area? Other than summer months (which would be too hot, anyway), we are flexible. What are considered the "high periods and low periods" for tourists?

By all means fly into Merida. It's only one hour to Uxmal. There are many hotels of every standard and price in Merida. I'm glad I've done the B&B in Santa Elaina. Learned alot about the culture.

I use Merida as my base and really enjoy exploring the Yucatan on my own. Even as far as Campeche. I much pefer hotels in the historical center of town.

Every night in one of the many plazas, there are concerts or folklorics. No charge and although for the local folks, visitors are welcome. Late Saturday afternoon the streets around the central plaza are blocked off for a weekly street fair until late Sunday night. Merida has a great sense of "community" and is very safe.

If possible I would choose late Oct staying until about the 3rd of Nov. Oct 31 and Nov 1st (I think) is the Day of the Dead fesitival which is very interesting. Parades, memorials, dancing in the streets, etc.

By all means fly into Merida. It's only one hour to Uxmal. There are many hotels of every standard and price in Merida. I'm glad I've done the B&B in Santa Elaina. Learned alot about the culture.

I use Merida as my base and really enjoy exploring the Yucatan on my own. Even as far as Campeche. I much pefer hotels in the historical center of town.

Every night in one of the many plazas, there are concerts or folklorics. No charge and although for the local folks, visitors are welcome. Late Saturday afternoon the streets around the central plaza are blocked off for a weekly street fair until late Sunday night. Merida has a great sense of "community" and is very safe.

If possible I would choose late Oct staying until about the 3rd of Nov. Oct 31 and Nov 1st (I think) is the Day of the Dead fesitival which is very interesting. Parades, memorials, dancing in the streets, etc.

Thanks again, hdawson. You're a wealth of information! Now, to figure out when we can squeeze in this trip between cruises...... Is Feb. a good time to go, if we can't go in late Oct.? (We already have a cruise booked for Oct. 20.)

We were in Merida for 10 days 2003 and stayed at the Best Western,

Merida. We used a land based company in the lobby of the hotel.

the people were great wonderful time. If you can, please go to

Celestune to see the Flamingos 10,000 birds in flight is something

you will never forget.

Archived