Molly Impact

illin

I was just looking and the seas are really tossing in the wake of Molly...pretty far behind her too.

I just loaded the luggage in the car and we will be sailing out of Tampa towards Mexico (Yucatan) on Thursday.

Will Carnival possibly reroute us and avoid the trailing high seas and storms? Looks like quite a few will be lingering around towards the Yucatan till Friday and beyond. The seas are really stirred up right now.

This would be a HUGE bummer as all my kids have talked about is the ruins and lizards!

Where would possible alternates be? I assume eastish...Grand Cayman maybe?

I was just looking and the seas are really tossing in the wake of Molly...pretty far behind her too.

I just loaded the luggage in the car and we will be sailing out of Tampa towards Mexico (Yucatan) on Thursday.

Will Carnival possibly reroute us and avoid the trailing high seas and storms? Looks like quite a few will be lingering around towards the Yucatan till Friday and beyond. The seas are really stirred up right now.

This would be a HUGE bummer as all my kids have talked about is the ruins and lizards!

Where would possible alternates be? I assume eastish...Grand Cayman maybe?

Who is "Molly" ??????

Dolly Intensifying;

As of 4:00 a.m. CDT on Tuesday, Tropical Storm Dolly was over the southern Gulf of Mexico and was centered near 23.3 degrees north and 93.8 west or about 295 miles southeast of Brownsville, Texas. Dolly is tracking to the west at 15 mph and has maximum-sustained winds of 60 mph. Estimated minimum central pressure is 997 millibars or 29.44 inches.

A hurricane warning has been issued for the Texas coast from Brownsville to Port O'Connor. A tropical storm warning has been issued for the Texas coast from north of Port O'Connor to San Luis Pass. A hurricane warning has been issued for Mexico from Rio San Fernando to the U.S. border. A tropical storm warning has been issued for Mexico from La Pesca to just south of Rio San Fernando, with a hurricane watch for this area as well.

Atmospheric conditions continue to improve in the path of Dolly as an upper-level low west of the system quickly retreats toward Mexico. During the course overnight on Monday into Tuesday morning, satellite pictures and reports from planes flying through the storm have shown better organization and some strengthening. The surface pressure has continued to drop over the past few hours. Though winds have increased slightly, usually the pressure falls occur quicker than the winds. Showers and thunderstorms are also starting to wrap around a center, also showing organization and lending room for further strengthening. Dolly should continue to intensify and reach a Category 1 hurricane today. Dolly continues to move at a rather rapid pace, but is expected to slow. How soon that slowing takes place will be critical in not only determining exact time of landfall and where, but also will impact how much the storm intensifies. If Dolly were to slow even more than it is now, strengthening to a Category 2 is possible. If Dolly does not slow down enough, then a Category 1 storm may be the strongest Dolly becomes. The current track will place Dolly onshore on Wednesday, probably in the morning, probably as a Category 2 storm, this assumes some slowing in the speed. Landfall should be around the Texas/Mexico border. An upper-level ridge of high pressure will be strengthening over the central Rockies into the southern Plains mid- to late week and would tend to steer Dolly deeper into Texas or northern Mexico on Thursday and Friday. At present, that ridge is fairly weak and may contribute to a more northward track initially.

We are concerned that Dolly has the potential to cause damaging winds and life-threatening, widespread flooding across South Texas and northern Mexico. Rainfall amounts of 5 to 10 inches are likely across the region with locally heavier amounts possible. Sustained hurricane-force winds may be mainly confined to near coastal areas, but tropical storm damaging winds will probably occur far inland through the middle and upper Rio Grande Valley.

Archived