Refrigerated medication question

FSUSammy

Hi everyone! My 9 month old has a minor ear infection and his doctor gave him antibiotics that need to be refrigerated. We will be going on RCCL this weekend and I know they have those little fridges but does anyone know if that'll be cold enough to keep the medication chilled? Should I just ask the room steward to bring us ice so that we can keep it extra chilled?

Also, it shouldn't be a problem bringing his nebulizer on board right?

some medications can be left out of the fridge for some time. Some medications need to be kept cold to maintain their effectiveness, but for others, the cold only makes the medicine taste better. Depending on how many days you still need it, you may get away without needing to refridgerate it. If not, a mini-fridge should be cold enough. I'm not sure about the nebulizer, but if people can take CPAP machines for sleep apnea, I don't see why a neb machine should be a problem. You might want to check with your cruise line just to be sure. Have a great trip and enjoy your vacation with your family!:)

you should be fine, our son was on prilosec for awhile and it had to be refrigerated as well. i agree with asking the pharmacist.

on short trips we kept it on ice when there wasn't a fridge available...

also remember you have to keep it cool on the way to the ship. for us this meant on a plane, we rubberbanded it to and ice pack and kept it in it's own small cooler so we could pull it out at security, once security saw it was prescripition that needed to be kept cold, we had no problem

The fridges on the ships are more like coolers, they will keep something cool, but not cold. For example they are not cold enough to keep milk in. I would rely on ice in a bucket before I would rely on the minifridges - but please check with your pharmacist about what the medicine really requires. You might want to contact special needs tomorrow and see if they have time to arrange for a fridge that is cold enough for medicines by this weekend.

Not only do you have to worry about keeping it cold in transit but if you are flying you need to worry about getting it past the security screeners. My sister had to fly in March with her 22month old and prescription medication for an ear infection that needed to be kept refrigerated. She had the pharmacist dispense it into two bottles so that each was under the 100ml limit for carry-on liquids as she didn't want to take a chance that an overzealous security agent would insist that she dump it. She also took a letter from the doctor stating what the medication was and why it was needed. She packed it with icepacks but also took empty ziploc bags that she could pack with ice on the other side of security if they took the icepacks away from her. When she got to the airport the security personnel didn't have a problem with the icepacks but they did tell her that if the bottle had been larger than 100ml she would not have been allowed to carry it on.

oh and yes you can bring a nebulizer....we always bring ours just in case...since our son had a little problem at one point...we dont want to risk him having a breathing attack and not having a nebulizer...we just packed it in the suitcase

lmg1230 - they were wrong then, if you check the tsa site - prescription meds are exempt (as long as they display the label from the pharmacy). i carry on larger prescription ointments for psoriasis and (used to) carry 5-6 oz bottles of prilosec for my son. I did however print the page from the tsa site in case i got questioned (as a backup) but i never needed it

Archived