Pricing...Swimming with Stingrays

darie81

When you say get to Stingray City early to beat the cruise ships, how early did you get there? We booked a private excursion and they let us pick the meeting time. We arrive in Grand Cayman at 7:00 Cayman time. I told them between 8 and 8:30 because I wanted to make sure we would have time to get off the boat, since we have to wait for the Carnival tours to go first. Is this a good time or should I try to get there earlier?

Yep that is why I just made the reservation again with Captain Marvins, 2nd time. We want to go to see the rays early and then off to snorkle. They will drop us off at 7 Mile beach afterwards to spend the remainder of our day. A great value for $35.00.

Sdirector77...

are you going then this cruise ?

perhaps they could squeeze our roll call group in with you ...

what do you think?

Ive never been there before

so I really dont know my way around over there :confused:

• 2 weeks later...
Went on cruise to GC years ago booked trip for $45 from Carnival, when we tendered right in our faces were a bunch of tour companies offering the same trip I had already booked for only $15. I'm going back in Nov on Carnival and I will wait to book when I get to the island. I save money so I can go on more vacations.

Thank you for this information. A friend of mine also informed me of the same. Where exactly are the companies that offer the tour for $15?

Lots of info already given about independent tour operators (we used NativeWay - LOVED IT!).

I wanted to post about the tendering concerns. I read it a lot - ship's tours getting priority tendering. I want to say, when we were in GC, the very earliest tendering was done on a first come, first served basis. Folks with ship's tours were gathered in various venues and tendered together. AFTER the time period for the first come/first served tendering, you had to have a ticket that I assume told you what time you could tender. I don't know because we got up and out on one of the first tenders. (How many times can I type "tender" in one paragraph?)

Thank you for this information. A friend of mine also informed me of the same. Where exactly are the companies that offer the tour for $15?

There will be MANY people pushing tours at you right off the dock where you tender into. There will be people offering stingray city, and I am sure at super low prices. My only hesitation in picking a tour at the dock would be that you do not know anything about this company, like their service, reliability, knowledge, group size, etc. That is just my opinion though, I like knowing that I am going with a reputable company that many people have had great experiences with.

So yes, you can get tours right off of the ship. I for one, will be sticking with Nativeways, took them last year and doing the same tour again this year! Can NOT wait!:D

Sdirector77...

are you going then this cruise ?

perhaps they could squeeze our roll call group in with you ...

what do you think?

Ive never been there before

so I really dont know my way around over there :confused:

Carol, So sorry, haven't been on the Cayman boards in awhile and I missed this post of yours. I have booked with the Captain again for this upcoming cruise.

If you look at their website you will see a short tour, with this tour we wil be able to accomplish our goal, the rays. some snorkeling and then they will drop us off at 7 mile beach, most likely Sea Grape. Would love to go to Rum Point but maybe next time as time is limited and if I go to a great beach I do not want to have to race back to the ship.

I like Captain Marvins and you will have to provide a CC# but they do not charge the card, we will pay in cash upon arrival. If for some reason we do not make it to Grand Cayman (weather) they do not charge the card.

You can book on line or give them a call, maybe they will provide a better price with a group.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on that tour with Captian Chip on Wed., Sept. 24th. It was a great tour. The catamaran is nice and well maintained. Captain Chip knows the island and is very accommodating on giving you a memorable tour. He actually kept the tour that we scheduled, even with the fact my husband and I were only 2 passengers. (you don't find that happening too often) I highly recommend stingray sailings. This was our third trip to stingray city and by far the best.

Archived