recent visitors to Chichen Itza

oldmedic

have a couple of questions for someone that has been on the Carnival Excursion to Chichen-Itza recently.

#1- Are there places to sit or get in the shade while touring the site?

#2- does the tour involve a lot of walking?

#3- are there alot of steps or are the paths flat?

#4- is bottled water /drinks available at the site or do we need to carry our own? sorry to be explicit, but how about bathroom facilities? etc...

#5- any info will be helpful, trying to decide if it is worthe the 7 hrs or so, to do the excursion.... Thanks

There are shaded areas at Chichen Itza with clean restrooms, small snack bars, and gift shops dotted throughout the park. It's always smart to carry your own water, though. The paths are flat, but wear comfortable shoes as they can be a bit uneven. The tour does involve quite a bit of walking. Given the time factor, you might want to visit Dzibilchaltun http://www.yucatantoday.com/destinations/eng-dzibilchaltun.htm

or Uxmal,

http://www.yucatantoday.com/destinations/eng-uxmal.htm

both of which are closer to Progreso and very interesting.

We just returned from our cruise today and the ruins were the highlight of our trip. The bus was cool, clean, and comfortable. Scenery along the way with information from the guides. We had a little less than two hours at the site. The guide who was with us on the bus led us on a tour and he was very informative. My two sons, 20 and 18, were fascinated. Level ground...I didn't think it was much walking at all. After the guide talked, we had about 45 minutes to wander and take pictures. A lunch and water was waiting for us on the bus and it was a very nice nap on the way back to the ship. A+.

I am confined to a wheelchair and it is not recommended for me to go on this excursion but with help I think we can manage. I really want to go. Concerning the restrooms, did they have any larger stalls?

• 2 weeks later...

"We just returned from our cruise today and the ruins were the highlight of our trip. The bus was cool, clean, and comfortable. Scenery along the way with information from the guides. We had a little less than two hours at the site. The guide who was with us on the bus led us on a tour and he was very informative. My two sons, 20 and 18, were fascinated. Level ground...I didn't think it was much walking at all. After the guide talked, we had about 45 minutes to wander and take pictures. A lunch and water was waiting for us on the bus and it was a very nice nap on the way back to the ship. A+."

Which ruins did you visit?

"We just returned from our cruise today and the ruins were the highlight of our trip. The bus was cool, clean, and comfortable. Scenery along the way with information from the guides. We had a little less than two hours at the site. The guide who was with us on the bus led us on a tour and he was very informative. My two sons, 20 and 18, were fascinated. Level ground...I didn't think it was much walking at all. After the guide talked, we had about 45 minutes to wander and take pictures. A lunch and water was waiting for us on the bus and it was a very nice nap on the way back to the ship. A+."

Which ruins did you visit?

We are going to Chichen Itza out of Progesso. Do you know anything about the bathroom facilities? How wide do you think the stalls were? Were there any steps?

• 2 weeks later...
We just returned from our cruise today and the ruins were the highlight of our trip. The bus was cool, clean, and comfortable. Scenery along the way with information from the guides. We had a little less than two hours at the site. The guide who was with us on the bus led us on a tour and he was very informative. My two sons, 20 and 18, were fascinated. Level ground...I didn't think it was much walking at all. After the guide talked, we had about 45 minutes to wander and take pictures. A lunch and water was waiting for us on the bus and it was a very nice nap on the way back to the ship. A+.

Did you do the ship excursion or an independent tour?

• 2 weeks later...

We got back Thursday from visiting Chitzen Itza and Tulum. My mom doesn't get around very well- she's not in a wheelchair, but she has lots of problem with her foot, and so we were concerned...we did Tulum first, and it was VERY hard- lots of steps, uneven paths, etc.

Chitzen Itza was MUCH easier for her. We were with a large group, and there was a lady in a wheelchair in our group. She and her companion did much better here than at Tulum. The paths are fairly wide and fairly flat. There is plenty of shade, and lots of merchants selling all sorts of items within the park. You won't be able to see everything- but that's more of a time concern than a wheelchair issue. I get around really well, and there's still no way to see it all. But you'll get to see the important things. It's an amazing place. I recommend it.

Sorry, I didn't use the restrooms here, so I can't comment on that. I will tell you to carry kleenex or toilet paper with you, because most bathrooms we did go into didn't have any toilet paper or paper towels at all!

Archived