How to book cruise?

krennen

Hope to go on a cruise next June. Is it better to book with the individual cruise line or go with one on the internet--many of which have better prices?

Go with whoever gives you the best deal. As the reply to your other question said this morning, we're not allowed to give specific suggestions for online agencies, though.

You'll find a lot of general discussion on these threads about booking direct with a cruise line vs booking online vs booking through a travel agent (which can be discussed without naming names).

Just be sure to understand exactly what each one allows. Do they charge a cancellation or change fee? How easy is it to get ahold of someone if you have a question? How knowledgeable are they about the product they are selling? etc.

Everyone has their own opinion on the best way to book a cruise. I, personally, prefer to deal direct with the cruise line (although I've used an online site in the past with no problem), but some people have used the same travel agent for years and wouldn't do it any other way.

I don't think you pay any more if you use a local travel agent. Then you have an actual person to talk to if you have questions, etc.

I am skeptical using an online agency when I can't actually see a person handling my booking.

Travel agents are great....most of them are really knowledgable and the cost should be the same.

Good Luck

M

I always book myself and do all the planning for our families trips. I have used different on-line services as well as going with the cruiseline directly. In my area when I have done my research on prices and then go to a travel agent, they have always been higher priced. For some that don't like to do the planning or get "into" the details, a travel agent works great. For me I love doing that and am not going to pay more for a product to have a travel agent handle details for me.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I too do all the planning for our trips and I don't mind putting in the time to do research. I have not used a travel agent for our last trips to Hawaii, Paris, etc. The hardest part is determining what is a "good price" and making sure that I don't get "taken" by an on-line agency just because they have a better price. I also know that Alaska requires more advance planning than some other destinations.

I used a Travel Agent on the first cruise I did 7 years ago and have booked on the internet everytime since. Never had an issue either way. Always get trip insurance. Split itienary air line tickets can be a pain (Montreal to Boston) unless they are Points tickets. Read the boards, lots of great info out there.

Good Luck, sailing again to Alaska next month on Princess.

We check prices on the cruise line site, get some pricing from on-line TA's then contact our TA who works for a company is both on-line and B&M and they always have a better price as they are a large company and purchase large blocks of cabins and then pass at least a portion of the savings to the pax.

Archived