DO Canadians need a visa for Russia

I am going on a Baltic cruise in 3 weeks and I was told by my TA and Regent that I was covered under a blanket visa if I went on the ships tours. Today I am told I am not.

Are there any Canadians out there that have the right answer - did you need a visa to tour Russia while on a regent cruise.

I know nothing about the subject but hope this will help:

http://montreal.rusembassy.org/en/montreal/RUSVISA.html

http://www.russianvisa.org/

Russian Tourist Visa

The following documents should be submited to the Russian Embassy or Consulate to obtain a Tourist Visa to enter Russia:

1. Your original passport with at least 2 blank visa-designated pages (passport must be valid for at least 6 months after intended departure date from Russia).

2. Two copies of Russian visa application form, completed and signed.

3. Two passport-size photos signed on the back.

4. If Tour Group or Cruise Passenger: Letter from tour company or cruise line confirming itinerary and including a copy of the confirmation from authorized Russian travel company which shows the reference number and confirmation number for the visa.

5. If Individual Travel: Confirmation of hotel arrangements from authorized Russian travel company, or directly from the Russian hotel, showing reference number and confirmation number for the visa.

There are quite a few threads in the ports of call section as well. Here is one:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=784795&highlight=russia+visa

It sounds like you may only need to obtain a personal visa if you will be touring on your own and that the cruise lines get group Visas for the tours they offer. I'd call Regent to be 100% certain.

Friscorays is correct. I took a Baltic Sea cruise in 2005. If you stick to the shore excursions offered by the cruise line, you don't need to get a visa beforehand. However, if you want to do some personal travelling in Russia , you will need to get a visa ahead of time. Hope this helps you.

I am going on a Baltic cruise in 3 weeks and I was told by my TA and Regent that I was covered under a blanket visa if I went on the ships tours. Today I am told I am not.

Are there any Canadians out there that have the right answer - did you need a visa to tour Russia while on a regent cruise.

You're covered by the blanket visa as long as you do excursions through Regent. If you do anything independently, which I don't recommend as you'll have to walk 2-3 miles through a bad industrial area to get to where taxis can pick you up, you need to get an individual Russian Visa.

Archived