Where to buy Molas

Liz2008

We are going to Colon in January on Carnival and will only have a short day there. Do any of the ship tours go anywhere that you can buy "reasonably priced" Molas? I saw that they are made by the Kuna Indians in San Blas, but wondered if they are for sale other places. Also we are interested in the train or the tour to Panama City. But when I looked online it said that the train only leaves Colon at 5 pm. Thanks. :D

The regular train routes are AM Panama City to Colon and PM Colon to Panama City and it is mainly for business commuters. The train routes for most cruise passengers are charters and are only available through the cruise ships. If you want the train you will need to book through Carnival.

Molas. They are all over in shops and stores. I think the best places to buy molas are at "Old Panama" (not Casco Viejo but the original city that burned after Morgan raided it) where there are lots of craft shops and at Christobal pier where lots of Kuna and Embera come to sell molas and baskets when there is a ship in port. Carnival has an interest in Colon 2000 so that's where all their ships end up. If there is another ship at Christobal it might be worth taking a cab over.

Hope that helps! I've got lots of other Panama cruise stuff and tips on my blog at www.richarddetrich.wordpress.com

Regards, Richard

:D Thanks so much for the great information. I wondered why the train would sit dormant from 8 - 4. Carnival has it listed as an excersian, but does not give times yet since it is still too far out.

My mom and sister have several Molas, and we want to try to find some more while we are there.

Archived