Need Info about Carnival

Our son and daughter-in-law are taking their first cruise in August on the Carnival Pride. They are active 30-somethings and I have never been on a Carnival ship - we sail mostly on Princess. So a few questions:

1. Do they have washers and dryers on board?

2. How do their cabin sizes compare to the other cruise lines?

3. In August, can they expect a bunch of young children and college kids to be on board - it's a 7-dayer Mexican Riviera.

Oh heck, anything anyone can tell me will be appreciated! Thanks Denise

Our son and daughter-in-law are taking their first cruise in August on the Carnival Pride. They are active 30-somethings and I have never been on a Carnival ship - we sail mostly on Princess. So a few questions:

1. Do they have washers and dryers on board?

2. How do their cabin sizes compare to the other cruise lines?

3. In August, can they expect a bunch of young children and college kids to be on board - it's a 7-dayer Mexican Riviera.

Oh heck, anything anyone can tell me will be appreciated! Thanks Denise

1. Yes, at least on public laundry facility per passenger deck.

2. The cabins are generally larger than on other lines. Typical non-suite cabin is about 185 sq ft.

3. There's a fair bet that you'll see college kids if Cabo is on the itinerary, probably not so many children.

August is kind of a gray area as far as the kiddies go. Some schools have taken up by then, but not all of them.

We usually try to cruise between September and December, and then January through March. That time has the least ammount of children and high school/college kids. It's also when cruises are the cheapest, so its a win-win situation.

It's also good that they are going on a 7 day cruise. I generally have found there to be less kids on longer cruises. It's just harder for the parents to take them out of school.

Wow Darth - you do for the Carnival line what we do for Princess:p . I think we need to forewarn our "kids" that it's very likely going to be a major party ship because they do go to Cabo and it could be a great opportunity for the college kids to have a last fling before school starts. The mention of Koseykat on YouTube was a great help. I hadn't thought of that. I should probably try to find other videos that way:confused: . I'm pretty clueless with those sites.

Here's another question: in general, we try to avoid the Princess excursions. We find they are way overpriced, and everything is pretty much hurry up and wait, or simply hurry up and get back on the bus. How do you find the excursions offered by Carnival and have you done the Mexican Riviera? - Denise

May I ask their sail date? My first cruise is in August on The Pride also.;)

Their sail date is Aug. 17 - how about you Drynne?

A lot of colleges have started back by then, my son's will. Our public schools start this Friday:( . I think it is too early and way too hot down here.

Here's another question: in general, we try to avoid the Princess excursions. We find they are way overpriced, and everything is pretty much hurry up and wait, or simply hurry up and get back on the bus. How do you find the excursions offered by Carnival and have you done the Mexican Riviera? - Denise

Carnival will be about the same.

Are they going to Matazlan(sp?) If so look into Randi's Horses if they are interested in horseback riding. I usually take the ships excurions but this independent was recommended on this board. It was a good exeception.

Thanks Jay, I'll pass that on. As for school starting up earlier and earlier, I'm one of those curmudgeons who thinks that a 3-week summer break is enough. I mean the whole idea of summers off for kids was soley intended to allow them to work with their parents on the farm or in the fields. Way archaic now. Of course, back int he 50s I loved those lazy hazy days of summer, but Mom was at home also. Ok, hopping off my soap box now;) . Denise

Archived