Washington Dc ?

IDKaren

Three airports to pick from on United-which do we flly in to to be close to Washington DC govt sites?? Any good recommendations for hotels? Imagine we would have to stay outside DC for best prices and train/bus/whatever into town? I am thinking May be a good time of year- not too hot and muggy yet and kids still in schools? Not exactly cruise info but everyone on these boards is So helpful! thanks!

Three airports to pick from on United-which do we flly in to to be close to Washington DC govt sites?? Any good recommendations for hotels? Imagine we would have to stay outside DC for best prices and train/bus/whatever into town? I am thinking May be a good time of year- not too hot and muggy yet and kids still in schools? Not exactly cruise info but everyone on these boards is So helpful! thanks!

The closest airport is Washington Reagan Airport-which is 5-10 minutes from all the sites....with no traffic....next is BWI and last is Dulles....

Landing as Reagan is something pilots hate. Short overlapping runways with strict noise controls and air restrictions.....

To be close to everything that is DC, definitely Reagan and yes, there is that little issue of short runways but I'd much rather fly into it for what you want. Because Reagan is only 3 or 4 miles from DC it is more crowded but even so, trust me, you do not want to rent a car and drive anywhere around DC. First off, many motels will charge you an additional $20 or so per night to keep your car down in their garages and I can pretty much assure you that you won't/can't use it in many places in DC unless you want to drive around hunting parking spaces. We that live near it don't drive there unless you live there. DC has the Metro subway system that will get you to most sites you want to visit and if not, take a cab.

Regarding our weather, it is always hot and muggy during the summer - May is a weird month - you may find it extremely hot/humid already or still slightly cooler. Most VA schools are in session until at least the first week or so in June so other than field trips may not see many kids. Motels in the district are probably going to be more expensive but Crystal City should be slightly less and has easy access to Metro and not that far from where you want to be. Crystal City is directly on the other side of the 14th Street Bridge in VA and is really Arlington, VA.

Go to TripAdvisor.com and input Crystal City and see what others have to say about specific motels. You can input Alexandria VA also which is a little farther out but the farther out you go the cheaper it may be but if I did that I'd want to be on the Metro line and not deal with cabs myself. Most motels if on or near a Metro line will specify because that's a big plus for that motel.

Have fun, DC is a place that one has a lot of free stuff still available and a great place to visit.

ETA: a heads up - from April (Cherry Blossom time) to October is more of a peak tourist season so what you pay for accommodations may not necessarily be cheap - its all relative depending where you are from and what you are used to.

To be close to everything that is DC, definitely Reagan and yes, there is that little issue of short runways but I'd much rather fly into it for what you want. Because Reagan is only 3 or 4 miles from DC it is more crowded but even so, trust me, you do not want to rent a car and drive anywhere around DC. First off, many motels will charge you an additional $20 or so per night to keep your car down in their garages and I can pretty much assure you that you won't/can't use it in many places in DC unless you want to drive around hunting parking spaces. We that live near it don't drive there unless you live there. DC has the Metro subway system that will get you to most sites you want to visit and if not, take a cab.

Regarding our weather, it is always hot and muggy during the summer - May is a weird month - you may find it extremely hot/humid already or still slightly cooler. Most VA schools are in session until at least the first week or so in June so other than field trips may not see many kids. Motels in the district are probably going to be more expensive but Crystal City should be slightly less and has easy access to Metro and not that far from where you want to be. Crystal City is directly on the other side of the 14th Street Bridge in VA and is really Arlington, VA.

Go to TripAdvisor.com and input Crystal City and see what others have to say about specific motels. The farther out you go (Alexandria for example) the cheaper it may be but if I did that I'd want to be on the Metro line and not deal with cabs myself.

Have fun, DC is a place that one has a lot of free stuff still available and a great place to visit.

ETA: a heads up - from April (Cherry Blossom time) to October is more of a peak tourist season so you may not necessarily find cheap accommodations during that timeframe.

Thanks for the info! We have always wanted to do the big DC tour and never been able too! We have United Frequent flyer tickets that we have to burn before they are taken away so we thought it would be a great time to do it! It looks like it is going to take a lot of planning out- SO much to see!

I was thinking of May because thought maybe "toursit" season would not have been in full swing till schools get out and we could beat the "summer crowds" But probably it is pretty busy ALL year long huh?

NO desire to rent a car-ugh- do not do well in traffic! No congestion in Idaho so would not know WHAT to do with traffic jams:eek: The subway/busses/whatever are GREAT for us!

THank you for your help! K

Another factor regarding airports, if you don't want to rent a car, is the cost of a taxi into town. A cab to/from BWI will cost about $80-100 (about the same for a car service); that's also probably the cost to get to or from Dulles. Reagan National will only cost $30 or so.

Probably the best hotel for location is the JW Mariott, which is (sort of) on Pennsylvania Ave. (there's a small plaza between the hotel and Pennsylvania Ave.)--its 2 blocks from the White House, 2 blocks from the Mall (with the Smithsonian's Museum of American History and the Washington Monument the closest to the hotel). I have not checked, but it is probably pretty expensive because of its location. (Unfortunately, downtown is not the best place to walk around at night if you don't know where you are going, but D.C. has a pretty lively nightlife in the Chinatown area.) If you want to go farther out and don't want to drive, pick a hotel near a Metro stop, such as Pentagon City (in Virginia) or Bethesda or Chevy Chase (in Maryland). I can't recommend any specific hotels, but I know there is a Hyatt in Bethesda near a subway stop. The subway is easy to navigate (there are only 5 lines and they all go through the downtown area where all the tourist attractions. None of the subway lines go through Georgetown (the oldest part of the city), but all the other attractions that are near a subway (Metro) station. Be forwarned, though, that the subway can be pretty crowded.

I think Washington is a great place to visit, but then I'm biased because I live here.

Another factor regarding airports, if you don't want to rent a car, is the cost of a taxi into town. A cab to/from BWI will cost about $80-100 (about the same for a car service); that's also probably the cost to get to or from Dulles. Reagan National will only cost $30 or so.

Probably the best hotel for location is the JW Mariott, which is (sort of) on Pennsylvania Ave. (there's a small plaza between the hotel and Pennsylvania Ave.)--its 2 blocks from the White House, 2 blocks from the Mall (with the Smithsonian's Museum of American History and the Washington Monument the closest to the hotel). I have not checked, but it is probably pretty expensive because of its location. (Unfortunately, downtown is not the best place to walk around at night if you don't know where you are going, but D.C. has a pretty lively nightlife in the Chinatown area.) If you want to go farther out and don't want to drive, pick a hotel near a Metro stop, such as Pentagon City (in Virginia) or Bethesda or Chevy Chase (in Maryland). I can't recommend any specific hotels, but I know there is a Hyatt in Bethesda near a subway stop. The subway is easy to navigate (there are only 5 lines and they all go through the downtown area where all the tourist attractions. None of the subway lines go through Georgetown (the oldest part of the city), but all the other attractions that are near a subway (Metro) station. Be forwarned, though, that the subway can be pretty crowded.

I think Washington is a great place to visit, but then I'm biased because I live here.

Ok- so the METRO is the SUBWAY?? Got it! NO trains etc-between VA-MD-DC? We should plan on the METRO?? Ok- good to know! thanks!

Since you live there-- do you know of any kind of maps of where and how the metro goes? I would like to get SOME idea of where places in VA and MD are from DC and how it runs. Living in rural Idaho-where we have NO city buses, taxis etc it is good to be able to vizualize an area! We have traveled alot and I have always made my own arrangements but for some reason- SO many airport-with SO many states etc close by to choose from I feel a bit overwhelmed! DId not even feel this overwhelmed when planning Europe! Strange!! Thanks for any help on this!:p

Permit me to jump in here -

Here's a link to the Washington area Metro map:

http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.cfm

On the Virginia side (where we live), you'll find a number of hotels at/near the following stops - Rosslyn, Pentagon City, Crystal City, and King Street (Alexandria). There are many other hotels in DC and Maryland that are at or near Metro stops; hotel web sites usually indicate if they are near a Metro stop and those that are not near a stop may have a shuttle bus. Oh, BTW, you walk directly from the National Airport terminal to the Metro Station - maybe 50 yards.

As "Flag Fan" noted, Metro is a great way to get around but do take a few minutes to read the Metro site and get a feel for the way it works - each passenger needs a ticket which can be purchased at the Metro station. Each statioun has an attendant who can help you if you have any questions on the system or are having difficulties purchasing a ticket. Here's a link to Metro's "Visitor Information" page -

http://www.wmata.com/riding/visitors/visitors.cfm

Hope you have a great trip and enjoy the nation's capital.

- Paul in NoVA

Since you live there-- do you know of any kind of maps of where and how the metro goes? I would like to get SOME idea of where places in VA and MD are from DC and how it runs. Living in rural Idaho-where we have NO city buses, taxis etc it is good to be able to vizualize an area! We have traveled alot and I have always made my own arrangements but for some reason- SO many airport-with SO many states etc close by to choose from I feel a bit overwhelmed! DId not even feel this overwhelmed when planning Europe! Strange!! Thanks for any help on this!:p

For a map of the subway (Metro) system in D.C. click on this link: http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.cfm. There are commuter trains to the suburbs (with which I am not familiar) and the Amtrak, which is a convenient way to get to Baltimore; it also goes to BWI (Baltimore-Washington International) airport, but I have never taken it there so I don't know how convenient it would be to go from the airport to Washington; it would definitely require a cab ride to the train station and then the train into D.C. (Union Station, which is a few blocks from the Capitol). The Metro website has a lot of information regarding bus routes, tourism information, schedules, and fares--www.wmata.com. I should have mentioned that there is a subway station at Reagan National Airport so you don't really need a cab to get from the airport into town, but it is quite a walk with a lot of bags, so I always take a cab. (However, since the airport is almost at the end of the line, the cars will be empty so it will be no problem getting luggage onto the train.)

Quite frankly, I would not worry about Maryland or Virginia unless you are staying for more than three days; there is plenty of things to see in Washington to keep you busy for a few days (assuming you like to visit museums). If you are staying longer, you could visit Mount Vernon in Virginia (you will need a car) or take a side trip to Baltimore (by car or train)--the Inner Harbor is a good place to visit. But flying into Reagan National, taking a cab to a hotel in a suburb near a Metro stop, and then taking the Metro into central Washington to sightsee should be realatively easy without needing to know too much about the area. For things to do at night you could go to a show at the National Theater (downtown, next to the Marriott Hotel I mentioned, www.nationaltheater.org) or the Kennedy Center (which would require a cab, its not really near any subway stops (or anything else), www.kennedy-center.org), but shows can be expensive. There is also a Shakespeare Theater (www.shakespearedc.org), which does some things other than Shakespeare. If you are interested in sports, we now have a professional baseball team--the Washington Nationals--and the new stadium is on the subway line (I have not been there yet). Tickets are easy to get (:( the team isn't doing that well). There is also hockey (Washington Capitals) and basketball (Washington Wizards)--both teams play in the Verizon Center, which is downtown, on a subway line.

I don't mean to make things more confusing--as I said, most tourist spots are surrounding the Mall--Lincoln Memorial, Capitol Building, Smithsonian (Air and Space Museum, National History Museum (with dinosaur skeletons, the Hope Diamond, and a bug exhibit (I think), American History Museum, a new Native American museum), the National Gallery and other art museums (modern art, African art, Asian art), Vietnam Memorial, Washington Memorial, WWII Memorial, Korean War Memorial, FDR Memorial, Botanical Garden--and a lot more just 1 or 2 blocks off the mall--White House, Supreme Court, Jefferson Memorial, Corcoran Gallery of Art--and even more 2-3 or so blocks from the Mall--Ford's Theater, Library of Congress, Union Station. A few blocks more (within walking distance) is Chinatown (only a few blocks large), which includes the Spy Musuem (very popular) and the National Portrait Gallery. There's even a (very small) aquarium in the Commerce Department Building one block off the Mall.

Washington also has a number of different tour options, including trolley (really buses that look like trolleys), double decker buses, segway tours (which look like a lot of fun), and Ducks (those amphibious vehicles from WWII). There is also a cruise ship (for dinner cruises) that goes up and down the river (Potomac or Anacostia river, I'm not sure which).

Getting to all these places is easy, its just a question of picking what you want to see. I suggest either getting a good guide book or figuring out what interests you and then doing an internet search (perhaps staring with www.tripadivser.com).

Hope you enjoy your trip to Washington!

The closest airport is Washington Reagan Airport-which is 5-10 minutes from all the sites....with no traffic....next is BWI and last is Dulles....

Landing as Reagan is something pilots hate. Short overlapping runways with strict noise controls and air restrictions.....

It can't be a lot worse than JFK. I was on a flight landing Wednesday from Tampa that the pilot had to pull straight up and away becaue another plane got too close to us when we wee landing.

Talk about having your heart in your throat...half of the passengers were screaming. I would have but nothing came out.

Glad to hear you won't be getting a car since if you are from Idaho, otherwise you'll be in for a shock. For those of us that live here, we've had a little time to perfect the proper way to cut off the guy in the next lane (not), trying to catch the guy's eye in the next lane so you can get over and if you end up lost in DC, uh, let's just say that in some places, just sit back, keep going and look straight ahead and don't get out of the car! (lol)

The above is very true and not meant to scare you because what you will find is that almost all attractions that tourists come to visit, are in the safe parts of the city and you'll be on Metro so not a problem.

It can't be a lot worse than JFK. I was on a flight landing Wednesday from Tampa that the pilot had to pull straight up and away becaue another plane got too close to us when we wee landing.

Talk about having your heart in your throat...half of the passengers were screaming. I would have but nothing came out.

Much much worse than JFK. Jfk has the longest runways on the east coast at 12000 ft I believe. they also don't intersect. LGA runways are longer then National.... I have done stop and gos and go arounds on LGA a number of times and once the plane bumped the berm sorounding the airport. I did an emergency landing at JFK from an LGA takeoff...our plane digested a bird in the engine. We couldn't land back at LGa with the fuel we had on board....

Glad to hear you won't be getting a car since if you are from Idaho, otherwise you'll be in for a shock. For those of us that live here, we've had a little time to perfect the proper way to cut off the guy in the next lane (not), trying to catch the guy's eye in the next lane so you can get over and if you end up lost in DC, uh, let's just say that in some places, just sit back, keep going and look straight ahead and don't get out of the car! (lol)

The above is very true and not meant to scare you because what you will find is that almost all attractions that tourists come to visit, are in the safe parts of the city and you'll be on Metro so not a problem.

Oh I am so laughing- my sides hurt. thanks! Yeah- it will be different! We have traveled around the world a bit but DO NOT drive in strange cities-cuz who is to know what the good and bad areas are! FUnny- one time in LA we got in the wrong lane and it exited VERY quickly and we could not get off. Hmmmm. we are in WATTS at 1 am. SCARY! Figured if we just kept goin we would parallel the freeway NOT! Scarier and Scarier and yes we did just keep going and looking straight ahead! I LOVE tours in big cities- NO driving for us SPUDS! But traveling is fun!

Thanks for the laugh! Needed it tonite! Oh--did finally get our air from United on FF- NO problem at all- figured I would have to settle for whatever they give us. Got a Clarion hotel in Arlington on Court House Rd-very close to Metro. Hope it is all good:)

Thanks for the advice and the humor. If you have any more great tips- send them on. IF you ever need tips on Idaho- I can direct you to the nearest stage coach stop:D

Thanks for the laugh! Needed it tonite! Oh--did finally get our air from United on FF- NO problem at all- figured I would have to settle for whatever they give us. Got a Clarion hotel in Arlington on Court House Rd-very close to Metro. Hope it is all good:)

Thanks for the advice and the humor. If you have any more great tips- send them on. IF you ever need tips on Idaho- I can direct you to the nearest stage coach stop:D

Years ago I had to attend training in Anacostia. It is one of the absolute worst place I'd ever want to get lost again. Stoplights had beggars rapping on your windshield wanting change. I stopped at a Safeway for directions and that was just as bad. I will take the Metro anywhere into DC but if you drive, you have to park at a meter and trying to find a meter is an act of God. BTW, the comment about DC traffic I was exaggerating slightly but we were second on the list of worst places to drive and yes, it is an art of how to cut someone off on the interstates! Funny I don't mind that but other places scare me. Also, the other problem new to DC drivers experience is that there is not a lot of non rush hour. There is always traffic, pretty much always. I have been out on I395 at 2 am and there is more traffic than in rush hour traffic many other places.

I recently asked a question about driving to Bayonne, NJ to catch the Explorer of the Seas and said I was afraid if I missed the wrong turn I didn't want to end up in NY. The responses I got back were that if I drove on I395 or the beltway around DC I was more than prepared to hit any ole street, even in NY. Whether it is true or not I didn't want to try it out on my own with two teen nieces!

Make sure you get to a few of the Smithsonian Museums on the mall. I personally love the Air and Space. I used to take my nieces/nephew when they were younger and they liked the interactive part of the Air and Space when they were younger. All the monuments are pretty much centered on the mall also. You'll have a good time I am sure.

• 2 weeks later...

I just read this site. I live on the Maryland side of DC. Like others said you can take the metro (subway) from Reagan and either go to VA (I see you are staying on the VA side) or MD. The metro will take you to the Mall area where you can see all the museums and monuments (for free). Food downtown can be expensive or cheap. If you walk one or two blocks off the main area you can find Subway, McDonald or the Hard Rock Cafe ( next to Ford's Theatre). Everything is in walking distance but they also have buses that you can get on and off (these buses cost money). During May there are a lot of out of town school groups and local school groups (been one of those groups). The National Zoo is in another part of town but you can take the Metro there too. Arlington Cemetary is across the river (not in walking distance but by metro) from the Mall. There is a charge but worth it. You can see the Custis-Lee House. National Stadium is also available on the Metro line. We have tickets so we have been there several times. If you have questions, here is another local.

One more suggestion - call your local Senator or Representative's office to see what they can do for you like White House tour tickets or any other kinds of tickets or passes.

I didn't plan ahead when I took my son overnight on the train from Boston to Washington. We arrived around 6 am and went to the White House and the line for tickets was already enormous. This was the one thing my son wanted to do and there was no way we were getting tickets. They are free and you're not allowed to resell them. However, some enterprising tour folks would be first in line to get 4 tickets. Then they would offer a tour of Arlington Cemetery and the Lincoln Memorial area with a "free" White House tour. It seemed a bit sketchy to me, but these guys had legitimate tour guide badges. I asked the National Park folks - you could see they didn't like what these guys were doing - but it was not a scam and they were documented tour people.

It was the best thing I did! My son really wanted to see the White House. We got driven to Arlington Cemetery for an hour and then driven to the Lincoln Memorial (also Viet Nam and Korean Memorials) for another hour. Then we got in line and went to the White House. It was worth every penny of the $60 we paid to have someone drive us around and to get us into the White House. However, I don't recommend this as a plan. Get whatever tickets you can ahead of time from your Congressmen.

Archived