Boatswain's Beach/Turtle Farm - LONG Review

lindalo5032

We just returned from our cruise on the Conquest. Before we left, I tried to find reviews on Boatswain's but couldn't find much information. Since we had done the stingrays and Rum Point Beach last year, we wanted to do something different and ended up at Boatswains. I'll try to post some pictures at the end of this review.

We were a group of 7, DH & myself (grandparents), DD & her husband, and 3 kids (10, 9, 6). We took a cab to Boatswains, which was $7.00 per person each way. The cab driver gave us his phone number so we could call him to get a ride back, but as it turned out a cab arrived to drop off some people just as we were ready to leave, so we just grabbed that one to head back. You need to allow at least 20 minutes driving time (more if there are a lot of ships in port--we had 3 that day).

When you go in, they explain the different packages and prices. You can just do the turtle farm for one price (I think it's $18.00 per person), or you can get the whole package which includes the snorkeling lagoon and swimming pool, as well as the turtle farm. We were pleasantly surprised to find that they were running a special where they let kids in for FREE! So we paid $55.00 for each adult for the total package.

We all enjoyed the turtle farm. They have touch tanks where you can touch and hold the smaller turtles. They have other tanks where the larger turtles are. There are guides who explain about the turtles and help you hold them for pictures. In the morning there are more people there because the cruise ship tours include the turtle farm as part of a larger tour, but then they leave and the place was not at all crowded. (Keep in mind we were there in July, which is the off season--there were only 3 ships in port that day).

SALTWATER LAGOON:

There is a saltwater lagoon where you can snorkle, using their vests and snorkle gear (or you can use your own). This is a great place for kids (or adults) just learning how to snorkle, but an adult must accompany any kids under the age of 16. This is strictly enforced, and you must wear a snorkel vest or life jacket to enter the lagoon. The water starts out shallow and goes to about 15 feet deep. You have to go to the deep area to see most of the fish. At one end of the lagoon (in the deep area) there is a glass window where you can look into the Predator tank and see sharks swimming around. This is a man made lagoon. Some people don't like it because they say the water is "nasty". The water does have some algae, and the kids complained about it when they first entered the shallow water. But after they got into the deep area they had so much fun snorkeling that they forgot about the algae. This is a man made saltwater lagoon with a concrete bottom, and the serious snorkeler probably would prefer snorkeling in the ocean. But we thought it was great for kids or beginning snorkelers. There is also a very nice swimming pool (with waterfall) closeby, which makes it really convenient for groups that have some snorkelers and some non-snorkelers.

SWIMMING POOL

There is a beautiful swimming pool with a waterfall close to the snorkeling area, so it's easy for a group to split up and go to both the pool and the lagoon without being too far apart. They have very clean restrooms (air conditioned!!) and changing areas. You can get life vests for those who need them, and there are lifeguards who strictly enforce the rules (which I appreciate!) There are lots of chairs around the pool, and some of the chairs are in shaded areas.

FOOD

There is one restaurant which is centrally located. The prices are about what you would expect for Grand Cayman--about $12.00 to $15.00 (USD) per person for lunch. The menu is in Grand Cayman currency, which means it is a little more in U.S. dollars. ALSO, be aware that they add the tip to your bill (I ended up giving a double tip for so-so service) :eek: The food was pretty good--not great but not bad.

Here is a link to my pictures:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/565031780yqhCUI

Thanks. This is a place that always gets mixed reviews. Overall, would you recommend it for the price (assuming EVERYONE had to pay admission)?

For our family, it was a great outing.

I would recommend it for beginning snorkelers/kids and for groups that have some who want a pool and some who want easy access snorkeling. The turtle farm was a lot of fun, but it doesn't take too much time to see the turtles. It is a bit pricey, so if that is a concern you would probably be better off going to 7 mile beach. Experienced snorkelers would be happier taking a small boat trip to do snorkeling. But as I said, our family really enjoyed it and we are glad we went.

I was going to do one of those stingray/island tours but then I found out there is an aviary at Boatswain's Beach and it seems the tours only whisk you in and out of the turtle farm. I see you have a couple bird shots in your album, I was just wondering how the aviary was? Were there a lot of birds, especially Cayman Parrots? I am a very keen bird watcher and I also love walk-in aviaries.

I was going to do one of those stingray/island tours but then I found out there is an aviary at Boatswain's Beach and it seems the tours only whisk you in and out of the turtle farm. I see you have a couple bird shots in your album, I was just wondering how the aviary was? Were there a lot of birds, especially Cayman Parrots? I am a very keen bird watcher and I also love walk-in aviaries.

The aviary was a small area, and we really didn't see too many birds. There was the one that I got a picture of, and there were a few smaller birds, but I didn't see any parrots. A real bird lover might have noticed more birds than I did. By that time I was getting really hot and just wanted to go somewhere to cool off. But I really don't believe they had a lot of birds in there. Hope this helps!

Thank you for the review. If one person in your group does not want to swim or snorkel and doesn't pay the higher price, can he/she still go into those areas? We would like to go to Boatswain's Beach, but I will not be swimming. My husband and daughter would like to swim. Can we just pay for them to swim or we will all have to pay the higher price? I would just like to go watch them swim. We all want to see the turtles and birds.

I appreciate the information.

Jennifer

Thank you for the review. If one person in your group does not want to swim or snorkel and doesn't pay the higher price, can he/she still go into those areas? We would like to go to Boatswain's Beach, but I will not be swimming. My husband and daughter would like to swim. Can we just pay for them to swim or we will all have to pay the higher price? I would just like to go watch them swim. We all want to see the turtles and birds.

I appreciate the information.

Jennifer

When you go in and pay for your package, they give you a colored wrist band. The color of your wrist band determines where you are able to go in the park. When we were there, there were signs at the beginning of the path that leads to the swimming areas that says "blue and orange bands only". There was a person sitting on a stool checking to make sure you have the correct wrist band color to enter. So I'm assuming they will not let you go into that area if you don't have the correct wrist band showing you have paid to go into that area. However, I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask when you first get there. :)

Archived