Jet lag-----need help

I used No Jet Lag on a flight from San Francisco to Sydney, Australia, this past Feb. I didn't have that "foggy" feeling at all. We walked around Sydney for a couple of hours...took a nap, showered, and we were off to dinner with friends that evening.

I felt it was a safe, homeopathic tablet to use.

Karynanne, I was on a flight from San Fran to Auckland 2 years ago and I was in a total fog for the first day. We are flying from Vegas, where we live, to Rome in 3 weeks and I'm dreading it because of the horrible jet lag I get.(swollen feet & legs as well) We arrive at 7:30 AM so our hotel room will most likely not be available. After dropping off our luggage we are taking the HOHO bus, have lunch and by then we should have our room. It will be 10:30 PM, Vegas time when we arrive so I'm hoping "No Jet Lag" will at least get me through that first day.:D

I will respond re: NJL when we return, hopefully with great results.

Lori

I used to have horrible jet lag every time I flew to Europe (I'm on the west coast, so it's a 9-hr time difference for me). After several trips in which my first few days were spoiled, I figured out the secret (for me, anyway). Here's what I do: I always book a flight that arrives in Europe in the morning, and then try to get as much sleep as possible on the flight over so I wake up feeling ready for the day.

This means I'll need to go to sleep way earlier than I normally would, because in order for a flight to arrive in Europe in the am, it needs to depart from the US in the afternoon. So I'll make a point of staying up really late the night before (which I usually have to do anyway, as I'm always late finishing up my packing;)), and then get up really early the day of departure. That way when I get on the flight I'm already tired. Given that I can't afford business class, I'm stuck with coach...and the only way I can sleep in coach is to take a good strong prescription sleep aid. Ambien works for me. Pop one of those, and I'm off to dreamland.

Then when I arrive in Europe, even though my body thinks it's the middle of the night, I've had a good 6 or 7 hours of sleep so I can stay awake for most of the day and feel fine. Then I'll fall hard asleep that first night in Europe, and wake up feeling fabulous, and completely adjusted to the time zone, the next morning.

Works every time for me. The key is, force yourself to go to sleep on the plane, even though it's only 4 or 5pm. Just do it. It'll work!

We are flying from Vegas, where we live, to Rome in 3 weeks and I'm dreading it because of the horrible jet lag I get.(swollen feet & legs as well)

Lori

If this is a problem I would recommend the flight stockings you can get. Also, drinking a lot of water on route (and making sure you are fully hydrated before the flight), moving around as much as possible on the flight and skipping that glass of wine etc.

You should also walk as much as possible on arrival in Rome to help your circulation re-establish itself.

As sailingkiwi posted...drink lots of water before your flight, and while inflight. Hydrating your body is key to keep any swelling from occuring.

LeAnn, I'm flying from the West Coast to Barcelona next month, and I plan to take the "No Jet Lag" 2 hrs. prior to my flight, and then every 2-3 hrs. thereafter (not while sleeping). Our flight arrives in the morning, and we plan to stay awake that day. Being outside in the sunlight gives the body back some Vitamin D.

Folks,

Interesting to read about ways to avoid a "day in a fog" including some combination with ambien! No way! Can't always control the time you start your flight and arrive either. How about adding a day to your embarkation port and just expect recuperation before tourism and cruise begins? I know, for some people each additional day is to be cherished. We will start in Barcelona, have rented an apartment, and will expect to do little our first full day anyway. On return, we will be in our home and don't have to do anything for that weekend. This time, we are turning in those points that have now become so much more valuable and while these programs are still functioning. Saving 4-6 thousand dollars is worth whatever discomfort is involved and will make a $10 glass of diet Coke much easier to swallow.

My best,

David

If this is a problem I would recommend the flight stockings you can get. Also, drinking a lot of water on route (and making sure you are fully hydrated before the flight), moving around as much as possible on the flight and skipping that glass of wine etc.

You should also walk as much as possible on arrival in Rome to help your circulation re-establish itself.

Thanks for the reply.

I do wear the compression stockings, as well as "Spanx" that go from just under my bra to mid- calf. I only drink water, never alcohol, and don't take sleeping aids so I can get up and move around. I am going to continue with my usual routine and I am going to try the No Jet Lag tablets. I talked to my Pharmacist who travels to and from Spain several times a year. She uses them and finds them highly effective. I leave in 3 weeks for Rome---we'll see. I'll post when I return with my review of these tablets.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

I travel a fair amount for Business. I can do 6-7hr time changes with minimal jet lag.

My trick - try to get at least 4-5 hours of sleep on the plane eastbound (i.e., to Europe). Prescription sleep aids are indispensible for me, I use Ambien. Take a shower upon arrival at the arrivals lounge or hotel. The shower is key for me. Then I'm pretty much good to go for the rest of the day. If necessary (and schedule-permitting), take a short nap in the afternoon, I say no more than 60-90 minutes, just to re-charge. Stay awake until your normal bedtime, local time. Drink Red Bull (and vodka!) if you need assistance. :)

Of course most of this supposes I'm in Business or First Class. I'm not sure even an Ambien would help much in Coach...

On the return (westbound), it can be a little tougher. I think it's helpful to take a brief nap on the plane. Then again, force yourself to stay awake until your normal bedtime. Maybe take a sleeping pill to stay asleep for a full 7-8 hours.

Totally agree with above poster.

When ever possible dont fly coach. I charge everthing to my BA card. and then buy a ticket and upgrade.

Agree about ambien...

I take half a tablet on plane and one tablet the first night. Then I taper off...one half tablet the second night, and one quarter tablet the next two nights...Then I am usually ok,.Obviously check with your doctor. It is prescription. Only side affects I have had is sometimes I rememver vivid dreams..

Stay awake...stay up. walk and stay outside in the sunlight. Eat on the new schedule and drink h20 as some of jet lag is low blood sugar and dehydration.

Also I change my watch to the new time when I board the plane and avoid thinking about what time it is at home. I just try to plan fun things for the first two days and keep busy.

Ah yes...jetlag is very much like being a new mother...and then repeated during menopause....maybe you just grab some sleep when you can and try not to bite too many heads off. Frankly I think I'm in constant jetlag.

Seriously though I remember when my husband and I flew from Australia to Dublin (via London) I thought I was ok ...dropped the bags at the hotel and headed out ....until the ground kept moving under my feet! So we headed back to the hotel for a quick nap and woke 36 hours later! Oh my!

Archived