Travel Insurance

luvcruisin66

Any opinions on Travelex? Good/bad experiences?

TIA

Have used Travelex the last 4 cruises. Never had to make a claim though. Friends of ours cruised with us last year and bought Travelex too. She needed to go to the ships infirmary twice on the cruise.

Once home she called them, they sent forms to fill out. After about a week she had a check in hand for the charges.

We usually use Travelex Lite. It has primary coverage instead of secondary, and kids 16 and under are covered free.

Bill

In the end - Good outcome with Travelex

DW and I sailed in March, flights were delayed and they lost our luggage for two days. Had about $750 in additional expenses due to delays. Both claims were originally denied due to lack of proof of the delays. Had to have the airlines write a letter confirming the flight delay and had to have carnival write a letter stating exactly when we received our bags. Both claims were eventually pain in June. Many phone calls. I would recommend the insurance, but if you have any delays or issues, get written proof at that time, it is a real pain to go back and get it latter.

get written proof at that time, it is a real pain to go back and get it latter.[/color]

All insurers will give you a toll-free or collect number to call if it looks like there may be a claim. USE IT. Tell them the problem and they'll tell you exactly what information you'll need to document the claim so you can round it up right them. Not only can it be harder to get this at a later date it can often be impossible depending on the exact situation. They can also open a claim and get the forms mailed to you right then which can cut a week or more off the time needed to get reimbursed.

Have used Travelex the last 4 cruises. Never had to make a claim though. Friends of ours cruised with us last year and bought Travelex too. She needed to go to the ships infirmary twice on the cruise.

Once home she called them, they sent forms to fill out. After about a week she had a check in hand for the charges.

We usually use Travelex Lite. It has primary coverage instead of secondary, and kids 16 and under are covered free.

Bill

Thats a plus .. i have to tell my sister about

have a link for them?

Thanks Bill

Toni

I work for AIG, who sells the Travel Guard Insurance plans. I usually use them since I receive a small employee discount (very small). I have never used Tavelex, but have considered it. I do know they have a very good rating, which means the company is financially stable and have positive claims experience. With this being said, if they provide the best rate and provide coverage for all of your needs, then go for it.

Just as a side note, most carriers provide coverage to minors at no cost if the policy also covers adults. I just returned from a cruise with 5 teenage girls and all were covered at no cost on my policy.

Any insuance companies that you would NOT use?

I would avoid using companies with a rating less than A-. This rating could mean they may not be as financially stable as other companies or may have negative claims history(paying our to little or too much). Both of these factors could lead to having difficulty receiving $ from claims.

How important is it to buy insurance? The insurance through carnival is about $50 pp. We are flying into the port on the same day that the cruise leaves.

Does everyone always get insurance?

How important is it to buy insurance? The insurance through carnival is about $50 pp. We are flying into the port on the same day that the cruise leaves.

Does everyone always get insurance?

VERY

What if your flight is delayed?

What if g'forbid you can not cruise due to an injury or illness?

What if the airlines lost all your luggge?

What if g'forbid there is a death in the family?

It protects you from loss, just like any other insurance...

I purchased insurance for me and my husband for an 8 day cruise out of NYC for $72 for both of us.. Compared to the $1000's we spent on vacation its worth it!:)

PS I wouldnt purchase it from Carnival... but that's my opinion

You can purchase for much less elsewhere

Bill

I have purchased this same insurance for our last cruise and I have it for the one coming up next month. Have not had to use it. I purchased it from insuremytrip.com and did so after comparison of several different ones. One of the reasons I choose this was because they primary regardless of what other insurance you have, that way there is not a hassle for filing with 2 or 3 companies as I don't think my medical insurance pays for out of the country expenses.

Archived