need St Thomas//St Martin tour advice

All4fun1

Well, since the search function is down... I need some help from all you experienced family cruisers! :)

I'm looking for recommendations for excursions on St. Thomas V.I., and St Martin with our 5yr old ds. From my research, it seems the thing to in St. Thomas with kids is Coral World and Coki beach. Dh and I would also like to do the Skyride to Paradise point, maybe in the evening, so we can enjoy the sunset. We would also like to fit in some shopping. Would all of this be possible (and enjoyable) without using a tour operator, or should we just book with someone so we don't have to worry about transportation from one spot to the next (seems the easiest to me)? If using a tour operator, which ones do you recommend? I've seen a few mentioned on other boards, but I'd like to know which ones are most "kid appropriate". :cool:

I'm still not sure what we should do in St. Martin/St. Maarten. Besides the beach and shopping, what else is there to do there? Which beaches there are not topless or clothing optional? Is it just the french side? I can't remember... I am not sure about the rest of our party (6 other adults), but dh and I would like to avoid these beaches if possible. And actually, if we don't spent a lot of time on a beach, that is OK too, just as long as we're having a good time, since ds still doesn't really know how to swim (he's taking lessons though, but it's going slow).

thanks for any input. :)

All4fun-

Those two islands are two of our favorite stops! You do have enough time to do Coral world, Coki Beach in the morning, shop downtown, and go to Paradise Point! My family and I did Sapphire Beach for two hours last June, had lunch on the beach. The taxi from the pier to Sapphire Beach or Coral World was $10 pp, one way. After lunch, we took another taxi (very plentiful) to the downtown shopping area...stayed for about 1 1/2 hours..Then took the ride up to Paradise Point in the afternoon! The picture below was from Sapphire Beach, a few hundred feet behind us (Yuck, LOL!) were the iguanas-which fascinated my kids as well!!

In St Martin we did Bernards Tour. Since you would prefer not to go to the French beaches (Bernard stops there for 2 hours, :eek: ), you could take a taxi to Port Royale (french side) for lunch. There is a great pizza place over there and outdoor cafes/shopping. Stop at Maho Beach on the way back to the Dutch side, watch the huge airplanes land! That was a huge hit with my kids! (DS 15 and DD 8)

I don't know what your preferences would be for shopping but it is much cheaper to shop on the Dutch side in St Martin....

On another trip, we have also taken a taxi to Redhook (in St Thomas) and taken a fairy to St John! That was a georgeous beach, too.:) Hope this helps!

We were in St. Thomas and St. maarten with our 16 month old, 6 and 8 yr olds. I was not a lover of St. Thomas. I did not like the shopping areas or the locals. We got on a open air taxi and went to Magen's Bay . It was beautiful. I think we paid $10 to get their and 5 to get in. I thought the people that "we" met were not friendly. St. Maarten on the other hand was absolutely wonderful. It was so clean and the people were nice, nice, nice. We met a wonderful driver named Percy Thomas from Curaco. He reccomended Orient Bay the clothed side. The sand was soft. There was a little cafe there for snacks and drinks. Only one topless lady wandered onto our side. It was not anyone that you would want to see topless. It was a good lesson for our children in European culture.

Sapphire Beach was not as crowded as Magens Beach. However, both are georgeous. The water at Sapphire Beach was shallow near the shore line. Also, we were there on a calm day as you can see from the pictures previously posted, its crystal clear.

I'm not a huge fan of the shopping area because I felt it was dirty, with that being said we always visit to get liquor (there is a place that ships back to the boat) and Del Sol which sells color changing products etc...Other than that, I found St Martin (dutch side) to have better deals!

Orient Beach has a lower side that Bernards tour visits, but he is also open to dropping you and your family off at another beach. You will encounter some nudity on the lower side, but its not that bad. I agree with a previous poster it is one of the best beaches, with white soft sand, and georgeous bathtub water!

Paradise Point is also a must see and it is good to do at the end of your day since you can walk back to the ship (its right across the street from the pier) unless your on Princess they dock at another pier....

Also agree with flagirl that Maho Beach is worth a stop for an hour to watch the planes land! Its amazing!

Have fun-

See how much I love those Islands (epecially St Martin).

We did the butterfly farm through the cruiseline but you can also take a taxi there for minimal cost!! Thanks, Cruisinmama06, I forgot about that one!;)

That was a hit with my youngest! The butterflies land on you (its suppose to be good luck) so as long as your little one doesn't want to "swat" it, that was a fun thing to do as well........:)

Archived