STONE ISLAND Water Taxi

Kimmer727

Anybody know how much the water taxi is to Stone Island? Is it right on the dock where you get off the ship?

The water taxi costs $2 per person round trip. Keep the ticket they give you when you buy your ticket so that you can show it for the return trip.

You have to walk out of the port several blocks to get the water taxi. Once you exit the gates of the port, turn left and stay on the sidewalk. Keep going until the paved road ends in a dirt road that leads to the water (about 7-10 minutes). You'll see a small bright blue building, and that's where you buy your tickets.

Scroll down and look for the thread called "Stone Island on your own," and you will find lots of very helpful info (including some pictures and maps) on how to get there and what to do there.

Anybody know how much the water taxi is to Stone Island? Is it right on the dock where you get off the ship?

Why not just book this tour for $36 you get a ride there, a ride back, a meal, and all you can drink, in addition to 2 free activities. http://www.mazatlantours.org/stone-island-tour.htm I booked it with no problems and they sent me my tickets and instructions immediately.

Why not just book this tour for $36 you get a ride there, a ride back, a meal, and all you can drink, in addition to 2 free activities. http://www.mazatlantours.org/stone-island-tour.htm I booked it with no problems and they sent me my tickets and instructions immediately.

Maybe because the water taxi is $2 pp and easy to find, lunch for 2 is probably $20 and you get to eat what you want. Pacificos are $1 ea and activities are negotiable, if you want to do them. Mixed drinks aren't served unless you're on a tour.

I had thought about the tour too, to make it easier, but couldn't justify the extra cost. I have no doubt that you'll have a blast.

Your saying that I can't even PURCHASE a mixed drink??? That doesn't make sense.

From what's been mentioned on here, it sounds as though the ones being served mixed drinks are from the tours. Possibly a licensing issue. Not sure how valid that is, since nobody seems to have spoken to a restaurant owne there to ask. :confused:

We considered doing this, but when we looked into the costs for the five of us in our party, we decided we could do it for less money, and we did.

For 5 people on a tour, it would have cost us $180

We paid:

Water taxi for 5 people at $2 each: $10

Lunch for 5: 8 beers, 6 soft drinks, 2 orders of awesome garlic shrimp, 2 orders of quesadillas (all meals came with beans, rice, and salad), an extra side of rice because it was so good, and guacamole and chips: $43

Banana Boat for 3 of us at $4 per person: $12

2 ATVs at $20 each for 30 minutes: $40

Total: $105

If we had booked a tour, each of us would have had the option of two activites, which is nice. In reality for us, not everyone in our group wanted to do activites - some of us were content to sit on the beach and play in the water. Others of us did some of the activites.

The other activities offered on the tours (banana boat, kayaking, horseback riding, wagon tour, snorkeling) are generally $5 per person per activity if you do them on your own.

The horseback riding is $6 a half hour or $12 an hour.

The ATVs on a tour would be an extra expense - the prices would be about the same as what I quoted above - $20 per half hour or about $30/35 an hour - or something like that.

So let's say we had each paid for and done the two activites offered on a tour instead of the ATVs; our total cost would have been $103, which is still a savings of $77 over booking with a tour. That gave us a lot of money to spend on the vendors. ;) But even with our many purchases (dresses, purses, sand toys..., we still didn't spend that whole $77.

We had originally decided to go to Victor's, Molakay's or Lety's because they were so highly recommended on these boards. We found Molakay's, but it was very crowded - King David Tours go there as well as the cruise ship tours. All the people there looked like they were having a good time, but we wanted to be somewhere a little less crowded.

We found "Carmelita's" and loved it. We had lounge chairs with shade right on the beach, delicious food, and very friendly service. We'll definitely go there again.

Well, where was this place? How did you find it?

Carmelita's was a little ways past Molokay's. When you get off the water taxi, you go over a little hill to the beach, which spreads out to your left. Along the beach are many restaurants, and you can just find one that looks good to you and set up camp there.

We saw Molokay's, but since it was so crowded, we decided to keep walking.

After a couple minutes, we say Joyce (from these message boards) at Carmelita's. There were several beach-front lounge chairs available, and they brought out more umbrellas for us so that we had enough shade. It was great because we had this whole big group, all from these message boards, and we had the restaurant almost all to ourselves.

The signs for each restaurant are not always that visible. Carmelita's sign is square and up high with a blue "Pacifico" sign. I think it's easier to look for the "Pacifico" sign, and then it says "Carmelita's" below that.

Good luck!

I haven't been there yet, but apparently you can't. There is a lot of discussion about this on the thread titled Stone Island On Your Own.

Hey, we're neighbors (we're in Wayne)! We're going on the Vision again in November.

Archived