Shuttle to Port Douglas?

aussie57

Hi! We're cruising to Cairns & back on N834 at the end of Sept. Does anyone know the details of "optional shuttle to Port Douglas" from Cairns? What does it cost? How long does it take? What do you do when you get there? Also is the Kuranda skyway & train a good tour to do? Also does the ship stop at an island in the Whitsundays? Sorry if they're dumb questions. Haven't got the blue folder yet:)

Hi! We're cruising to Cairns & back on N834 at the end of Sept. Does anyone know the details of "optional shuttle to Port Douglas" from Cairns? What does it cost? How long does it take? What do you do when you get there? Also is the Kuranda skyway & train a good tour to do? Also does the ship stop at an island in the Whitsundays? Sorry if they're dumb questions. Haven't got the blue folder yet:)

Hi Anne & Allan,

The coastal drive to Port Douglas is gorgeous in good weather. It is 75km north of Cairns. I have no idea what the shuttle costs. In Port Douglas there is a lovely beach. I think your cruise is in September. That's good. It is well before the marine stinger season. Port Douglas is a very touristy town and there are a lot of shops & restaurants. Boats leave here for trips to the reef, but if that is what you want to do you are probably better off taking a trip from Cairns.

The Kuranda skyway/train is good. There are several attractions in Kuranda all within close walking distance of the skyway & train terminals. Are you docking in Cairns or tendering to Yorkeys Knob?

In the Whitsundays I understand that the ship anchors and boats taking passengers on reef trips come alongside.

Enjoy you cruise.:):):)

:)

Hi Anne and Allan,

the ship anchors off Airlie Beach and the tenders take you into Airlie.

a shuttle bus takes you to the township.

there are tours from the ship out to the reef etc, and I think one goes to Daydream Island

This is a new one for me regarding having to take an "optional "shuttle from Cairns to Port Douglas, we anchored off Port Douglas and tendered in.

regarding the train and Skyway...DH and I have done it...train up to Kuranda, and Skyway down......great..on a clear day fabulous..

I will give you the e-mail address of Cairns and Tropical North visitor info centre, for you to find out if it is suitable for Allan.

info@tropicalaustralia.com.au

kind regards, Lorraine:) :)

The overnight stop in Cairns with optional shuttle to Port Douglas is a new thing, I think it will start with the first Coastal cruise after Pacific Sun comes out of dry dock. So not much is known about it at the moment. I'd be interested to hear how it works before we do our cruise in January.

Re the Kuranda Railway/Skyrail - yes it's a wonderful trip, but booking it through P&O is very expensive. Investigate booking it directly. The station is within walking distance of Trinity Wharf.

The overnight stop in Cairns with optional shuttle to Port Douglas is a new thing, I think it will start with the first Coastal cruise after Pacific Sun comes out of dry dock. So not much is known about it at the moment. I'd be interested to hear how it works before we do our cruise in January.

Re the Kuranda Railway/Skyrail - yes it's a wonderful trip, but booking it through P&O is very expensive. Investigate booking it directly. The station is within walking distance of Trinity Wharf.

Thanks for that Skyrules. We will be the first coastal cruise after dry dock - 27 Sept. Haven't got our tickets yet so haven't got anything from P&O about shuttle to Port Douglas. Will let you know in a Review.

Re the Kuranda shore tour we did look up the Skyway website & the round trip seemed to be only about an extra $40. As my DH is disabled, being picked up from & delivered back to the ship direct would be worth it for us for that much extra.

Don't know what I'll do at Airlie Beach though as DH doesn't "do" tenders.

Hi all, we did this cruise in May. We stayed in Cairns overnight and caught a bus - there were about 4 or 5 huge buses - to Port Douglas. From memory the first one left at 7.30am and started returning at around 12pm. We caught the first bus up and first bus back. Was long enough for us to have a wander around.

Hope you enjoy this cruise. We did, it was our first. :)

Hi all, we did this cruise in May. We stayed in Cairns overnight and caught a bus - there were about 4 or 5 huge buses - to Port Douglas. From memory the first one left at 7.30am and started returning at around 12pm. We caught the first bus up and first bus back. Was long enough for us to have a wander around.

Hope you enjoy this cruise. We did, it was our first. :)

Thanks Princess Fiona. How much did the shuttle buses cost? Also, what did you do when the ship anchored at Whitsunday island? Did you go to Airlie beach? Thanks in advance.

Archived