RCCL Takes 3 Weeks to Return Bag - What Would You Ask For?

My family and I got off Independence on July 12 at Southampton, and one of our bags was nowhere to be found. Somehow, it got lost between the ship and the terminal - a distance of about 20 yards. I filed a report on the spot, and we returned to the US that day.

A RCCL rep left a phone message on July 16 saying they'd found the bag, and would contact us with shipping info. Waited 3 more days. Nothing. My wife began calling RCCL reps daily, demanding information. For awhile, no one could even confirm that they'd actually found the bag. Our travel agent even joined in, but only got the reply that "this never happens."

On July 29, my wife finally got confirmation the bag had shipped and got a Fedex tracking number. July 30 initiated two days of phone tag with someone at Fedex who needed my SSN to get US Customs to release the bag.

The bag finally showed up August 4, full of pretty nasty-smelling clothes.

So, what would you ask for from RCCL, and how would you go about it?

P.S. my trip insurance (Travelex) does not cover baggage delays when returning home -

I would ask for the address that I could send a letter of appreciation to, to get this I would either check on RCI's website, or call (800) 256-6649.

I wouldn't settle for anything less than The Oasis of the Seas

Would that be just a cruise or the whole ship? ;) :D

OP, I wouldn't ask for anything. I would venture a guess that a letter of thanks for even getting the bag to you may garner you *something.* Course on the flip side it may get you nothing.

I, or anyone else for that matter should understand your wanting the bag returned asap. Anybody that travels would like to have all their possessions with them when they return home. Unfortunately that does not always happen.

I'd think that finding a bag that needs to be sent overseas requires some amount of paperwork. My guess is that is where the delay was. It may have had to go through some channels (not the water type) before being released for it to make it through a possible inspection on that side of the pond and customs on this side.

I am glad you got your bag back, smelly tho it was.

i would venture to say that the long shoreman company didnt look right away, probably get a number of reports a week, so it had to wait to be looked into, then a customs delay in the UK, then a customs delay in the us, then you yourselve said it took a few days to get it released.

all in all, its a timely process, and unfortunately the bag didnt have its own passport, which delays the process...:D :p

greg

Got tired of reading after 2 pages but want to put in my 2 cents, since last month I dealt with RCI asking for compensation.

FACTS!!!!

1. The OP put effort(calls and time) in to keep the Cruise line on top of it.

2. After three weeks, soiled clothes might need professional dry cleaning or laundry.

So I do believe they should get some compensation, for cost of cleaning/calls.

My suggestion call Customer service....if they do not satisfy, you can request a call back from the "executive" customer service group these are the people that can give you compensation, just to make you happy.

My guess would be 100 OBC for a future cruise.

And for those comments about travel insurance coverage, I would like to know what coverage extends three weeks after you arrive home?

Even though I would personally not expect anything, it certainly costs the cruise line very little to put a good taste in the OP's mouth.

I can understand your frustration, but why do people automatically assume that they are entitled to some form of compensation? Is anything missing or damaged? If no, then you are not entitled to anything. Just be glad that you have recieved your belongings and move on.

Am I the only one who is sick of the "entitlement mentality" that we Americans seem to have? This is a big reason this country is in the mess that it is in..

(A general observation, not an attack on the OP)

I'm not sure that the "entitlement mentality" is reserved for "Americans".

I've heard plenty of that kind of stuff from people who come here from other countries and automatically want to know what they are "entitled to" once they get here.

[quote name='shaggyofwv']
Am I the only one who is sick of the "entitlement mentality" that we Americans seem to have? This is a big reason this country is in the mess that it is in..
(A general observation, not an attack on the OP)[/QUOTE]

No, you're not the only one. It's sad and quite pathetic :(

I did a little research into this matter, and found exclusive video footage of what happened to your bag in those three weeks it had gone missing...

[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2ZeIoLz8FE&feature=related[/URL]

(might explain the stinkiness as well)

[quote name='megessey']I did a little research into this matter, and found exclusive video footage of what happened to your bag in those three weeks it had gone missing...

(might explain the stinkiness as well)[/quote]
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D

[quote name='megessey']I did a little research into this matter, and found exclusive video footage of what happened to your bag in those three weeks it had gone missing...

LMAO........

[quote name='HobsonDD464']My family and I got off Independence on July 12 at Southampton, and one of our bags was nowhere to be found. Somehow, it got lost between the ship and the terminal - a distance of about 20 yards. I filed a report on the spot, and we returned to the US that day.

A RCCL rep left a phone message on July 16 saying they'd found the bag, and would contact us with shipping info. Waited 3 more days. Nothing. My wife began calling RCCL reps daily, demanding information. For awhile, no one could even confirm that they'd actually found the bag. Our travel agent even joined in, but only got the reply that "this never happens."

On July 29, my wife finally got confirmation the bag had shipped and got a Fedex tracking number. July 30 initiated two days of phone tag with someone at Fedex who needed my SSN to get US Customs to release the bag.

P.S. my trip insurance (Travelex) does not cover baggage delays when returning home -[/QUOTE]

whats wrong you did not have any other clothes to wear at home?

I wonder if this is the place that the luggage porters send bags when they don't get a tip?

For the most part, I think you should be happy that you have the bag back.

BUT, you did state that you had to spend a lot of time of the phone and it does sound like RCI gave you a bit of a runaround. The fact that they do not have a good customer resolution tracking system shows that they need some infrastructure improvements in IT. Come on Corporate America, it is the 21st Century, it is not that hard to buy CRM software.

Anyway, as a show of good will, I think it would be nice of RCI to offer you some wine on your next sailing, or maybe a complimentary dinner at the specialty restaurant. I don't think there should be any discount on the cruise price itself, but some gesture of good will that shows that they want your return business.

I hope I don't get flamed for this suggestion.

(might explain the stinkiness as well)[/QUOTE]

Is it sad that I only watched the first second of it because I'm old enough to remember it when it came out originally?

[quote name='smoosh21']For the most part, I think you should be happy that you have the bag back.

BUT, you did state that you had to spend a lot of time of the phone and it does sound like RCI gave you a bit of a runaround. The fact that they do not have a good customer resolution tracking system shows that they need some infrastructure improvements in IT. Come on Corporate America, it is the 21st Century, it is not that hard to buy CRM software.

Anyway, as a show of good will, I think it would be nice of RCI to offer you some wine on your next sailing, or maybe a complimentary dinner at the specialty restaurant. I don't think there should be any discount on the cruise price itself, but some gesture of good will that shows that they want your return business.

I hope I don't get flamed for this suggestion.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]No flames from me. You actually have come up with a viable reason to write a letter. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Along with a thank you for the return of the luggage, the OP could state the concerns about the time it took and that it wasn't made clear that it could take so long. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Going on, he could explain that they were concerned enough to make repeated calls because some confusion came about in conversations with different folks. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Further the OP could suggest a possible remedy such as a person getting the name and number of one person that is charged with following up on lost luggage or a program online that any employee could access for current info.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='HobsonDD464']My family and I got off Independence on July 12 at Southampton, and one of our bags was nowhere to be found. Somehow, it got lost between the ship and the terminal - a distance of about 20 yards. I filed a report on the spot, and we returned to the US that day.

P.S. my trip insurance (Travelex) does not cover baggage delays when returning home -[/quote]

How about a set of RCCL luggage tags and a sample bottle of Fabreeze?

Archived