presription snorkel mask

twosea

Here is the thread that helped me:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=797648

I ended up getting mine at Sport Chalet (a local sporting goods/diving store). I think it's really important to check the fit/seal of the mask on your own face before buying one, which was why I didn't buy one online....

You'll be better off purchasing at a local dive shop. If you only need a diopter correction, they'll likely have the lenses in stock. You will also get a proper mask fit.

Note: If you have astigmatism or any other visual defect beyond far/near sighted, you'll require ground lenses. The shop will order them. In either case, bring your prescription.

How much more would a prescription-specific dive mask cost at a local dive shop vs. a non-prescription specific dive mask bought online?

I guess I'm skittish about walking into a dive shop without knowing a thing, and being "oversold" on some expensive model I don't need (will prob. use the mask only 1-2 times a year).

What are some brands/options I should look for/at. I don't want to spend a huge amount of money.

Also, if anyone could recommend a reputable dive shop around Raleigh, NC, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

it was literally twice the cost of snorkelmart. I am talking about a perscription mask not a standard one.

I tried on a few @ the dive shop & found out that the mask for me was the same type as 90% of the general public can wear. They told me at the dive shop that less than 10% of people need a different shape of mask. All masks are designed to fit almost everyone. They don't carry a bunch of different sizes of masks like a shoe store.

With that information I bought at snorkelmart and saved a lot of money.

This was my experience ... other opinions may differ!

You can order a prescription mask online for about the same price as we got the generic ones at Sports Authority. Search "prescription mask" at amazon to see examples.

We got the one at Sports Authority simply because we were there, my son tried it on, it fit well and he could see clearly through it.

Thanks guys.

Don't think we have a Sports Authority around here (Raleigh, North Carolina). Dick's is the large chain sporting goods store. I'll have to check if they sell magnified masks.

So, SnorkelMart and I'll google for others. Anyone else want to recommend a good online source for magnified masks (prescription-specific and non-prescription specific).

• 2 weeks later...

As I posted on another thread, we just ordered a prescription mask for my DH yesterday at a local dive shop. The prescription lens, per his Dr's exact prescription, was $153 + tax, and he had the choice of using the mask he already had or buying a new mask. They will put it in whatever mask you want. Since the mask he already had was a "cheapie", it made sense to buy a better quality mask, since we were spending this much anyway. As someone else said, the dive shop owner told us that most people wear "this mask". It surprised me that the same mask fit both my DH and me. He did have other masks to try, but they didn't fit us as well. With my luck, if I ordered online, I'd end up with one of those that didn't fit! :rolleyes:

I'm very new at this, so I don't know if we "got took" or what, but the mask we bought (I bought one, too) is a Seadive Egaleye, according to the label on the bag. The price was $68, which does not include the snorkel.

I really wouldn't buy a mask online... if it doesn't fit and it leaks, you've wasted your money.

Also, remember water magnifies everything by 33% anyway.

I wear glasses in everyday life, but have a 'normal' mask underwater.... and see perfectly.

I bought my mask at a dive shop. I am a diver and snorkel, too. I then took the mask to my optometrist's office where they sent it out for the prescription lens that was inserted into the mask. I do have astigmatism, and my glasses prescription has changed slightly three times since the lens was put into my mask, but I can still see great underwater. The optometrist said that the changes to my glasses don't impact what I want to see underwater (like reading and driving), and I guess he is right!

Thanks for all the replies. Me and my wife just got eye exams and prescriptions and are getting ready to start looking for masks.

For those who've purchased at snorkelmart, what did you pay for your prescription mask and what make/model did you buy?

I'm not yet convinced I need to go to a dive shop where I'll surely pay a lot more than online.

Had great luck with a mask I rented on a beach in Kona--and I never had to try several models. So maybe I already am a good fit for the generic / average mask that would fit most people anyway.

My wife and I shared the same prescription mask in Kona (that the rental guy eyeballed for me, looking at my lenses) and our prescriptions actually differ--but neither of us had any complaints. So I'm thinking having the exact prescription isn't quite so critical anyway. Or not. Who knows.

I do know that vision will already be magnified to some degree--to what degree I don't know--with a glass lens underwater.

Finally, what about snorkels and fins? Should I simply purchase an el-cheapo mask/fin/snorkel combo (now on clearance I've noticed) from chain stores, or does the snorkel somehow matter? My guess is that at a dive shop, I'd surely pay more for a snorkel and fins--maybe more than what I need.

Thanks again for the help.

Thanks for all the replies. Me and my wife just got eye exams and prescriptions and are getting ready to start looking for masks.

For those who've purchased at snorkelmart, what did you pay for your prescription mask and what make/model did you buy?

We paid $60 about 3 years ago. We purchased mask, snorkel and fins. The masks are Deep Blue Gear, not sure of the model. I just made sure we got snorkels that wouldn't let the water back in..forget what the technical term is.:)

I'm not yet convinced I need to go to a dive shop where I'll surely pay a lot more than online.

<snip>

I do know that vision will already be magnified to some degree--to what degree I don't know--with a glass lens underwater.

Finally, what about snorkels and fins? Should I simply purchase an el-cheapo mask/fin/snorkel combo (now on clearance I've noticed) from chain stores, or does the snorkel somehow matter? My guess is that at a dive shop, I'd surely pay more for a snorkel and fins--maybe more than what I need.

I have had great success with Scuba Toys for on-line purchases of diving gear. http://www.scubatoys.com/

They sell a Tusa Splendive for $44.65 which can take corrective lenses @$29.95 each lens. So you can get set up for ~$100 They stock -1.5 to -8.0 power. (Join the Scuba Toys forum and get an instant 10% off all purchases!)

I bought my mask (Deep Blue) at the local dive shop and with lenses it came to about $190. My glasses are about -10 but the -8 lenses work perfectly because water magnifies things about 30%.

Scuba Toys also has a dry snorkel for $19.95 and a large assortment of fins.

I Agree with the posters above that said don't buy on-line, especially with out trying a mask on. The idea that only 10% of the people have a different shape face is crazy. Mask fit and comfort is very important.

Also if you see a mask you like on-line check with your local dive shop, many will meet on-line prices if you ask them about it. Plus you have someone to help it something happens to the mask.

I am a certified diver that is strongly nearsighted. I don't use a perscription mask. I have found wearing disposable soft contacts is a better option for me. It took a little getting used to for me, but now I love it. I only wear the contacts for diving and it works well for me, and then I don't have to worry about changing from glasses to the mask and vice-versa. I have tried a bunch of the different brands of contacts and the ones I have found work the best for me are 1-Day Acuvue Moist. Something to talk to your eye doctor about.

People usually question why I only wear the contacts for diving, it is because my "day job" is a professional pilot, and the air at high altitude is very dry and with contacts after a long flight they got really dry and uncomfortable.

The other advantage of going contacts vs a perscription mask is a good mask will give you years of use especially if it is cared for. Chances are your perscription will change before the mask wears out.

One other thing, several people have said they don't want to go to the dive shop to get sold more mask than they need.

I have never found that to be a problem, in fact most dive shops would rather sell you the correct piece of gear and establish a positive relationship with you, so when you come home from that Caribbean Cruise all excited about your experience snorkeling and think you might want to try Scuba they want you to be a satisfied customer and come back for scuba training etc.

Plus would you rather by an important piece of gear from someone that is certified professional in the sport, or a highschool kid making minimum wage?

Trust me a proper fitting mask is important. I have dove with a crappy rental mask and with my own good fiting mask and it made a huge difference.

I have worked with all sorts of dive shops and have never felt ripped off. If you are worried that you are new to the sport and affriad you will be taken advantage of do your homework on-line before you shop. Better yet print out from the internet masks you are thinking about buying. Chances are a dive shop will have most brands and models in stock. You can try it and if you don't like the masks they have you can always go home and order it on-line if you want.

Thanks Flying Pirate and others. I can't wear contact lenses so that's not an option.

I like the find-a-mask-online and check with a local dive shop for price-matching. If they have the mask and I try it on, but they refuse to price match, I can always go back online and buy the mask.

I'd probably be willing to pay a $10-$20 premium at a local shop over online prices, but no more than that.

Please forgive the cross-posting...

Thanks everyone. I am copy-pasting all the great info I've been giving, looking stuff up online, and may head out to a dive shop today (weather permitting...) to see what the local stores can do--would prefer buying local if they can price-match.

Can anyone recommend a good dive shop in the Raleigh, NC area? I've heard Gypsy Divers is good.

I'll look seriously at the TUSA models. Anyone else have affordable favorite makes/models from Snorkel-Mart or elsewhere? Going to print out some model info / prices and go to a dive shop and see what they can do for me.

Update--didn't see any TUSA models at snorkelmart. When I clicked on Prescription Masks, I got this:

http://www.snorkel-mart.com/master.cfm?CategoryID=28

Spirit 2

Freediver

Sea-Rex

The custom ground lenses just seem to durn expensive. And quite frankly, when I was snorkeling in Kona, I rented a generic prescription mask, where the rental guy on the beach eye-balled my diopter from looking at my glasses, and the mask worked great! Guessing an exact prescription mostly helps for people with exceptionally bad eyesight? Or people who take diving and snorkeling *verrrry* seriously as a hobby (great hobby--hope to graduate from snorkeling to getting dive certified some day).

My wife and I have different prescriptions--I'm -5 Sph and she's -2.25 Sph--if that's what a diopter is. We shared the same mask (first time snorkeling, so we figured get the one prescription mask and try it out), so I guess we'd be fine with "in-stock" diopters.

Oh yeah, is a purge-valve worth the extra $3.50 or so?

Archived