RCI Ground Transfer Craziness

We usually come in the night before and stay at a hotel near the airport that has a free shuttle. So to us its no big deal.

If the ship were leaving from Panama City, it wouldn't be a big deal to us, either! As it is, the port is Colon -- some 36 miles away as the crow flies, and I have no idea how far in terms of driving time, or road conditions. Up until quite recently, RCI didn't have any information to offer about how we were to travel from PC to Colon, and we didn't look forward to trying to arrange that trip ourselves. As it happens, my husband and I both speak Spanish and are quite used to independent travel. However, we've not traveled in Panama before and feel it's probably safer to go with the cruise line's transport.

My friend and I are in the same situation as you... except we aren't going until February so we will have plenty of opportunity to learn the best way to go about this. I have contacted one taxi company and here is the response I got:

>>>

Yes, Easy Travel Panama can provide this service. From Tocumen

Airport to Port of Colon is about a 2 hour drive.depending on the traffic.

For 2 persons..this service would be $250.00 total "each way". This price

includes car, gas, bilingual driver/guide. On the way my guide would be

giving you a lot of info on our culture, history, etc.

If you have more people.we have 10 passenger buses where we could fit 6

persons with bags. We also have coasters if you have more people

interested. Depending on the amount of persons interested..then I could

give you price.

Please let me know if you need any more information. It would be a

pleasure to be of assistance.

Saludos from Panama

Judy Tovar

Easy Travel Panama

Cellular (507) 6617-4122

www.easytravelpanama.net

I included teh contact information incase you are interested... but to me $250 each way seems exhoribitant! And I find her comments that it is a 2 hour trip to seem further than I've heard from other places.

I had heard about the easytravel service from the meet n mingle board, and I also thought that $250 pp was outrageous for that short a trip. We ended up taking the advice offered on this thread about calling C&A with a flight arriving on the day of departure. We are now booked on the RCI shuttle at $40 per person each way. Quite a savings, wouldn't you say?

Actually we had originally hoped to take the train down -- it makes daily runs along the canal route and is very reasonable, scenic and safe, but only on weekdays.:(

Archived