My DS son wants to know-

suzyjack

Actually it is one of his favorites, he eats it like popcorn. And was hoping he might be able to find some on the cruise. I don't know who fixed okra for you, but it is ashame that what you experienced was so bad.

You need to do yourself a favor and give it another try. Just let someone from the South fix it for you.:)

That's so true. Good fried okra could be one of the wonders of the world, imo. Have a Southener fix it for you and you'll know what I mean :D

I enjoy good fried okra and it is DH's favorite food. It has not been served on any of the ships I have been on. I hope someone doesn't pop up with an answer that Cruise line "...." serves it. DH would make me switch!

I don't recall seeing fried okra on the Conquest, but we don't do the buffet, so it could have been there. I LOVE fried okra! Hate boiled okra, but love it stewed with tomatoes. I do believe we had it stewed with tomatoes once on the Conquest, but I could be mistaken.

On the subject of southern food, I think most southerners will agree that although they offer grits on the Conquest, it's best to avoid them. These people do NOT know how to cook grits! :rolleyes:

EEeeewwwwwwwww, That is the most disgusting food in the world :confused:

All slimey.....it coats the mouth.........with a horrible slime.

Yuk, gives me goose bumps just to think about it......

I do think I may have seen is mixed in on the Buffet.......

LoL......it is some sort of cruise deal breaker for the sick little imp.....

OR :) Maybe he's like me and is frightened he might encounter the dreaded non-food and get slimed if its mixed in with other vegies and he misses it.

you are thinking boiled okra and not fried okra.

I don't recall seeing fried okra on the Conquest, but we don't do the buffet, so it could have been there. I LOVE fried okra! Hate boiled okra, but love it stewed with tomatoes. I do believe we had it stewed with tomatoes once on the Conquest, but I could be mistaken.

On the subject of southern food, I think most southerners will agree that although they offer grits on the Conquest, it's best to avoid them. These people do NOT know how to cook grits! :rolleyes:

That made me think of My Cousin Vinnie... what's a grit?? lol

Most places don't know how to cook them... unless you use bacon grease, butter and lots of salt, it ain't grits.. ;)

Born and raised in the South....those aren't grits! Way too runny. Got to be able to stand the spoon up in them so when you put the butter in they become creamy.

If you are lucky one morning, you might get the bottom of the tureen before they drip another pile of slurry in, and get some stiff grits. Add some salt and butter then, and they're almost tolerable.

Born and raised in the South....those aren't grits! Way too runny. Got to be able to stand the spoon up in them so when you put the butter in they become creamy.

Same here, raised in the South, and this is the only way to have grits. Now my DH, who is not Southern (my Dear departed Grandmother would just roll over if she knew:D ) puts syrup on his grits!:eek:

There was no fried okra on our recent Liberty sailing. However, fried GREEN BEANS were served as a side dish one night in the dining rooms. They were awesome! (Had I known they were going to be THAT delicious, I'd have ordered extra.) I can't remember which en tree they accompanied, but I do remembering finishing off my DD's order (she and I ordered the same thing.) We're sailing again in March, and hopefully the menus will remain the same. (We'll be on the Valor this time though.):)

That made me think of My Cousin Vinnie... what's a grit?? lol

Most places don't know how to cook them... unless you use bacon grease, butter and lots of salt, it ain't grits.. ;)

Ah yes, My Cousin Vinnie. One of my DH's favorite movies! LOL! He'll sit there and watch it any time he happens upon it while he's flipping channels. :rolleyes: What was that line he said.... "Are you telling me that grits can be cooked on your stove in just five minutes, even though it takes the rest of the grit-eating world twenty minutes to cook their grits, because the laws of physics cease to apply in your kitchen?"

Do any of the eating venues on the Conquest serve fried okra?

Thanks

I believe it is an international FELONY to serve Okra in any form outside of the gulf states. And Florida is not a gulf state...................:D

Barb loves the stuff, fixed ANY way. I cook it for her all the time. I love all veggies, but okra is not near the top of my list.:(

Dan

Same here' date=' raised in the South, and this is the only way to have grits. Now my DH, who is not Southern (my Dear departed Grandmother would just roll over if she knew:D ) puts syrup on his grits!:eek:[/color']

My DH and his family all do that too. And they are from Birmingham, AL:eek:

But, they use Golden Eagle syrup, which is thick like honey.

Ah yes, My Cousin Vinnie. One of my DH's favorite movies! LOL! He'll sit there and watch it any time he happens upon it while he's flipping channels. :rolleyes: What was that line he said.... "Are you telling me that grits can be cooked on your stove in just five minutes, even though it takes the rest of the grit-eating world twenty minutes to cook their grits, because the laws of physics cease to apply in your kitchen?"

The other day I refered to one of the kids at work as a "yoots" I cracked up and they all stared at me like I was nuts! Oh well, I love that movie.

There was no fried okra on our recent Liberty sailing. However, fried GREEN BEANS were served as a side dish one night in the dining rooms. They were awesome! (Had I known they were going to be THAT delicious, I'd have ordered extra.) I can't remember which en tree they accompanied, but I do remembering finishing off my DD's order (she and I ordered the same thing.) We're sailing again in March, and hopefully the menus will remain the same. (We'll be on the Valor this time though.):)

Yum, I love fried green beans! I get them at Fridays and they are served with wasabi sauce. They haven't been on any of my previous cruises but I'll look for them on my next Carnival cruise. Thanks for the heads up.

To the poster who mentioned having American cooks, particularly to prepare breakfast items, I am surprised about this request. Breakfast has a truly excellent array to choose from and I can't imagine whatelse they could add that would have universal appeal such as cereal, yogurt, sausage, bacon, etc. Grits I don't believe would have appeal to the masses and I really don't believe they have the time to prepare them properly. It takes a realllly long time to cook grits and being a native from Louisiana, what most folks called grits would not pass muster in my family.

• 5 years later...
Wow. Talk about bringing a topic back from the dead. 😳

Carnival Pride 7 day Mexican Riviera: September 2008

Carnival Inspiration 4 day Mexican Riviera: September 2013

Carnival Miracle 15 day Hawaii: coming October 2015