New Dinner Suit

Persephone

Good morning everybody,

My husband needs a new dinner suit (aka tuxedo in the US), because his bespoke jacket was ruined by a dry cleaner. :mad: He can still wear the trousers with a white dinner jacket, but because black fabric is hard to match we have to get the entire ensemble.

We are going on a Cunard cruise in December and he needs a new dinner suit. Plus we always have a few unexpected functions where black tie is called for. We won't be back in the UK prior to the cruise so we can't have one made. He wants a peak lapel - either grosgrain or satin facing.

Has anybody here ever purchased from Hickey Freeman? He's currently looking at this suit (on the left): http://www.hickeyfreeman.com/website/product.asp?s_id=1&prod_name=Satin+Facing+Tuxedo&pf_id=001398100_041&dept_id=4091

How are Hickey Freeman quality and fit? What about their custom tailoring? Any experiences? They say it takes four to six weeks, but we don't have a Hickey Freeman store in DC so he could not try it on....

Would it be better to just stick with Brooks Brothers? http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatSectionView.process?IWAction=Load&Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=235

Thank you!

That's awful news about your husband's bespoke jacket being ruined :(

If you don't get much response from this board you may want to try styleforum.net. It's a board dedicated to men's style and you will be able to get extensive opinions on HF vs BB.

P.S. Is he sure he doesn't just want to get a white DJ to tide him over for the December cruise (I assume it's to a tropical location) then get a proper bespoke dinner suit once he returns to England? A classic dinner suit seems like such a terrible thing to buy in a rush!

Yes, it was quite a shock! This was only the second time that an item got damaged at the dry cleaner.

We have thought about waiting until December (we're sailing from Southampton), but it's only August, and we already know we have an event on 3 October that requires evening attire. That's not even two months away...

The white dinner jacket cannot be worn after September, and full evening dress is too formal for this embassy reception. John's tailor needs at least six weeks to create a new dinner suit, which would then have to be shipped.

I've noticed that eTuxedo also has the Hickey Freeman peak lapel for $100 less, and you even get two silk cummerbund sets, which he doesn't need, but won't decline either. Have you ever purchased from Hickey Freeman? They seem to produce good quality.

Love love love Hickey Freeman!

Excellent quality, and what I like best is attention to small details.:)

I have never purchased a tux from them though, but I know that they are good quality. The difference in their company is that they were started by actual "tailors" as opposed to "designers" - so the tailoring aspect is vital for them.

Now, personally the general Hickey Freeman line is a bit too conservative for me - so I only purchase from the Hickeystyle line.;)

http://www.hickeystyle.com

H85532006_md.jpg

5H231372_md.jpg

I've always been happy with their clothing quality.

Let us know what you decide.

PS Brooks Brothers is definitely "safe", but Hickey Freeman is "cooler".:cool:

Love love love Hickey Freeman!

Excellent quality, and what I like best is attention to small details.:)

I have never purchased a tux from them though, but I know that they are good quality. The difference in their company is that they were started by actual "tailors" as opposed to "designers" - so the tailoring aspect is vital for them.

Now, personally the general Hickey Freeman line is a bit too conservative for me - so I only purchase from the Hickeystyle line.;)

http://www.hickeystyle.com

H85532006_md.jpg

5H231372_md.jpg

I've always been happy with their clothing quality.

Let us know what you decide.

PS Brooks Brothers is definitely "safe", but Hickey Freeman is "cooler".:cool:

Well, we are a bit on the conservative side when it comes to clothing, and for a dinner suit we would want classic conservative styles.

I think we'll go with Hickey Freeman. I've noticed that eTuxedo's offer also includes a Hickey Freeman formal shirt. That's not bad at all.

I like that they were founded by tailors who know what a difference proper tailoring can make.

Alas, we do not have Hickey Freeman in Canada. (Yet.)

What has not happened yet, may well happen in the future:). We don't have a store here either, although Neiman Marcus sells their lounge suits and shirts. We looked at their things yesterday, and the tailoring was very good.

Nordstrom and Saks carry Hickey Freeman.

I'd be kind of surprised if Harry Rosen or Hold Renfrew didn't carry them too.

In general, Hickey Freeman is a very good brand.

Just try to avoid the Hickey Freeman Ltd. line.

I believe HF makes a lot of the Burberry brand suits.

Thank you, Zippyh. Nordstrom stores in Seattle, especially the downtown store, are very different from East coast stores. The flagship store in Seattle carries high-end designer clothing and features a Chanel boutique, if I remember correctly. That's not the case here. In the DC area, Nordstrom is better than Macy's, but they only have Hickey Freeman suits and shirts, not dinner jackets. Oh well, it can't be helped.

We've ordered on-line, and if we're not happy, we always have the option of returning it.

Hickey Freeman is a good brand. Very popular.

If you want a great brand, try Alan Flusser. But I don't know if they do mail order custom.

http://www.alanflussercustom.com

Here's a bit more about him:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Flusser

Thank you, Jane! My husband has the book "Clothes and the Man" by Alan Flusser.

I think John will be quite happy with the Hickey Freeman dinner suit. He has rather standard measurements, so a few alterations by his tailor should do the trick. Flusser's clothing is bespoke, which is great, but creating a custom-made suit takes weeks and several fittings. Alas, we do not have enough time. We just found out that we have dinner party in early September, and simply wouldn't be able to have a new suit made.

Archived