Snorkeling in French Polynesia

Katiekakes

We will be in French Polynesia in December cruising the islands. Are there areas one can snorkel from shore without taking a shore excursion or hooking up with excursions on shore. I am most interested in Riatea and Bora Bora. Info on other islands would also be helpful. We will be on the Tahitian Princess.

There are many islands were you can just snorkel from shore & see lots of fish. Rangiora was very good just from the shore. From the pier just go a couple hundred yards (meters) to the left and anywhere there is great. Lots & lots of fish & stingrays. Take a towel & water, sun block & an underwater camera!

Most of the other islands we did a Princess excusion or a private one.

If you do consider an private excursion I can highly recommend Bruno for his tour. It was the highlite of our cruise. We filled him up with people off of the Tahtian & we all loved it!!!

His website is http://www.tahaa.net/?p=32

I hope this helps.

Almost any of the islands will have good snorkeling from shore. We've made 3 trips to French Polynesia and we spent hours and days snorkeling. I fell in love with snorkeling there. There is a downside though.....you will be forever spoiled for snorkeling anywhere else because nothing compares. I've tried Hawaii and also went to St Lucia in the Caribbean. I was very disappointed in the snorkeling in both places. I found out too late that St Lucia is not the best place to go to snorkel in the Caribbean but it was a beautiful island. One piece of advice, if you have the room, take your own mask and snorkel. We found that the equipment offered in FP is sub-standard at best. It was always old and about to fall apart. We haven't been for a few years so maybe it's gotten better but I'm not sure and personally I don't want a snorkel that's been in hundreds of other mouths. Have a wonderful time.

Kristy

We went to French Polynesia on the Taitian Princess 2 years ago and that was the best cruise we were ever on. We took Cruise Critic member's advice about doing a Motu Picnic on Huaine through Marc's Motu Picnic. You have to book it separately from the cruise line and it was wonderful. We stopped 2 places for snorkeling - one being a drift snorkeling. The picnic was wonderful. I do agree, you need your own snorkeling equipment. If you don't plan on doing much snorkeling after leaving the islands, you can get equipment very reasonable from walmarts. We went to a dive shop and they suggested Walmarts.

Enjoy your trip!

Archived