What to bring for island children?

My wife and I met the cutest little girl in Costa Maya a few years ago, that loved to get her picture taken, I'd guess she was all of 7 years old. She "appeared" all alone, this disturbed us quite a bit. We weren't sure if she was looking for money or just saying hi???

This year my wife wants to bring candy/pencils etc with her to give out to any kids we may encounter. Would this type of thing be appreciated, or are most kids these days looking for cash? What do other people do?

There is usually a parent or older sibling somewhere near that can keep a watch. They are looking for money. I always take with me a couple of rolls of quarters when I am going to the places where I know they will be. There have been times when I ran out of money within 200 feet of the ship dock. :(

Our money to them is a lot better in their eyes than a gift.

This post reminds me of an incident in Barbados, about 25 years ago.

We were walking from the pier to town, this is prior to their new pier facilities they have now, and encountered a cute young entrepreneur about 5 or 6 years old. He very politely said to my husband "Sir could you please give me a dollar bill for 4 quarters?" My husband reached into his wallet and gave him a dollar bill. The young boy opened his grimy little fist, and acted very surprised when he could only produce 3 quarters. My husband gave him the dollar bill of course for his 3 quarters. The little "hustler" did this all morning long, but the way he went about it was so cute. I wander what he is doing today.

Ginnie

I know kids are kids but....... Children anywhere should not just be "handed" money. They need to learn to appreciate the value of a dollar and that most everyone, including visitors from the U.S., work hard for the money they have. Visitors to their beautiful Islands leave enough money to help support the economy. I'm just not sure you are doing them a favor. This is just my opinion.

Have to agree that they are in it for the money.

Back in 1984, I went to Jamaica with a "friend" (wonder what HE is up to now?????) A young man approached us and asked if we wanted a personal tour of the island. I'll bet he couldn't have been over 10 years old. Well, being young and stupid we said yes. This boy spent the entire day with us. He brought us to places I'm sure we never would have seen on our own. At lunchtime he brought us to a GREAT restaurant and then waited outside while we ate. Finally around 5pm he said he had to go to "school"?? We gave him $20 and he was happy as a clam.

I'd never dare do anything like that now. But it sure was a great memory.

Yeah, I'm sure they're just hoarding all that change and buying Playstation games and fancy sneakers. I'd venture a poor child in the Carribbean has a far greater awareness of the value of money than most American kids. And they are out there working when you think about it.

When my children and I visit any of the islands we pack a few pairs of their extra shoes which they have outgrown but are still in very good shape. In fact, last time my son went to Jamaica he took a collection from his soccer team and provided 10 pairs of shoes to the children of Jamaica. He felt so good when children walked up barefoot or with one red shoe/one green shoe and he was able to hand them a "new" pair of shoes. If they weren't their size they would hand it to their friend standing there. There wasn't any greed!

It was a wonderful experience for all of us!

When we were on the Norwegian Sea and docked in Roatan in 2000, a young boy was trying to sell his conch shells on the side of the road. My husband gave him his new Astros baseball cap for a shell. The boy was thrilled, put it on his head and grinned from ear to ear. And my husband felt great about the trade. Sometimes it's not the money when it comes to making a child happy. :D

That shell sits in our living room and is a constant reminder of that boy's appreciation that day. :)

Great shoe idea!!! My church does a yearly mission trip to Jamaica and now that you mention it, the pastor of the church we helped to build did say that's what they really need. So I'll believe that one, considering it came from the clergy. (no comments please....LOL)

Maria65

Amen to that.They probably even waste it on food and clothes.Looking at the conditions in some of these beautiful islands I think a lot of these children understand the value of a dollar a lot more than some of the adult visitors.

As a Canadian, I can travel to Cuba. You've all read about the poverty there and it's true. While I personally have no desire to go, lots of people I know have. Without exception, almost all of them take along an extra suitcase filled with outgrown or outdated clothing. They also take some of the basics - pencils, paper, over the counter medicines, toiletries, etc. All the things we take for granted are considered luxuries.

Beth

In most cases the child with his hand out was put there by an adult who has a lot of kids working the street for him. If you talk to the locals you will find this to be true. Locals will also tell you not to give them money, because the kids should be in school, not working the streets. Someone has them working the streets to line their pockets, not to help the children.

When we were in Rotan a woman wanted to give a child something. She spoted a icecream vender across the street and asked the boy if he would like an icecream cone. By the time she reached the vender she had a group of 20 kids. They all got an icecream. Please don't give them money. In Rotan there is an orphanage (sp) that loves to get clothing and school supplies.They will meet you at the pier and if you want to see it and their school they would love to show you what they have done.

It is difficult to pack things like clothes and shoes (but I agree this would prob be best for children) I can also imagine that these items would be tough to distribute as well. I like the beach bag idea full of trinkets and lollipops etc. This way if we are hanging out on the beach we will have something for the kids.

When we cruised to Cuba, Havana was fine. But in a different Cuban port everyone was asking for shoe laces, pencils, shampoo and soap. They weren't interested in money because money couldn't buy them soap and shoe laces. They have shortages of everything. Just one other thing to note, don't wear any jewerly that will get attention. That same cruise a woman's neck got cut by somebody who stole her necklace.

I know kids are kids but....... Children anywhere should not just be "handed" money. They need to learn to appreciate the value of a dollar and that most everyone, including visitors from the U.S., work hard for the money they have. Visitors to their beautiful Islands leave enough money to help support the economy. I'm just not sure you are doing them a favor. This is just my opinion.

I think that is why kids are used...because a lot of people deel "sorry" for them and want to help... without first thinking chances are, someone else put the kid up to being out there. People are more likely willing to help a begging child than they are a begging adult. It's one of the reasons why in Europe, the gypsy women always have a baby in their arms(regardless if it is their baby or even a real baby)... to try to get the "sympathetic" people to dole out their money. And it's remarkable how many people out there that give into the guilt that because we are so much more "fortunate" than others that we won't be doing the right thing unless we throw a few coins their way. Well I was raised catholic... if there is one thing I am good at ignoring, it's guilt... if these people really wanted to help, have them drive down to their closest urban center and see the poverty rife there. There are plenty of people around our country that could use help as well!

In high school I took a trip to Mexico. When we were in Alcapulco we took a cruise around the bay. There was this little boy probably somewhere between 8-10 swimming in the bay near the ship. If you threw a peso into the bay he would swim down and retrieve it with a big smile. People were so intrigued they began throwing multiple coins at a time and he would always come up with them. I am sure that this little business man made more money than the local banker!! On our cruise alone he probably made $50 with his tricks! I would say that a child with a skill like that and a smile to go with it deserved every coin he caught!!

Anyone know a way to find schools at the Mexican Riveria ports? I love the idea of bringing something for these kids, but reading these posts makes me realize that a lot of them ARE being used by others. But if I could find a school, that would be great: to see them working at their education, make them feel good about that, and then bringing gifts to the place where they're SUPPOSED to be. Now the only questions is how to find these schools, and whether American tourists would be welcome there or not...

Laura

Another poster mentioned the school/orphanage in Roatan, Honduras.

There is actually a semi-organized effort underway to get regular supplies there via cruise ship - both for the school & orphanage, and for their community outreach program.

If you'd like to read about the effort that got started right here on these boards, and where it's gone, please take a minute to visit this thread: (just click on the link here) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=38828

This is strictly a "grass-roots" effort by cruisers who have been or are going there, and it's amazing how well it is beginning to work out!

What a great link!! Again, do you know if they have anything going in Western Mexico? I looked all over the CSI thread, but didn't see anything. I would like to try to find something in either PV, Cabo or Mazatlan, when we go in May 05. Even if it doesn't get big like the other one did, it'd be a rewarding experience to help out some kids in the port cities of our cruise.

Thanks again- Laura

There's a group in Cozumel that helps out the local school kids we make donations to when we go there. We'll be taking a couple new backpacks and some other things. We jokingly call the things we bring our souvineer balast. Once we drop it off, we have plenty of space for the "Stuff" DW picks up.:D Find out about this group here.

I've been so happy with all the help I've gotten on these boards to find where we can make donations! I found the Cozumel group in the ports board, the Roatan information, and in Labadee, I found a Church group that really helps the locals. But then much to my surprise, the Island Manager for RCCL told me about all the donations he recieves and helps to deliver to the school nearby. Not only from cruise pax, but also from the crews! He was so incredibly passonate about it. What a joy! He said he has one passenger that regularly comes and has even brought a sewing machine!

I always check these boards first, but when I'm going somewhere land-based I just do the internet check. We went to a Beach area in the interior baja region and found a group there that helps with donations.

We tend to bring school supplies, toys for kids, books and bibles.

As one poster mentioned above - that leaves room in the luggage for all the souveniers and purchases on the way home!

I will be going on a med cruise and I did find an orphanage but with luggage restrictions, I'll be limited on what I can bring. I'm thinking a few Barbies and matchbox cars.

Keep up the good works, cruisers! Its so nice to be able to make someone smile!

L Jane

Katy, TX

Correia - I haven't heard of anyone with information on organized efforts to help out in poprts in Western Mexico, but if I do, I'll post here.

Pappasiera - Neat link! Just visited it. Keep up the good work!

L Jane - Please tell us more about this 'Island Manager' that RCCL has... I was unaware of this position. Is this someone we can contact to coordinate deliveries of supplies? If so, how do we contact them? And do you happen to know if they also have responsibility over or if there is a similar position for Celebrity? (Celebrity now calls on Roatan, but RCCL no longer does...)

I am beginning to think there are a lot of quiet efforts going on among cruisers... too bad they're so quiet that folks have a hard time finding out about them.

BTW -Anyone is more than welcome to participate in our thread in the Floataway lounge... even if you're not cruising to Roatan any time soon. Just click on the link in my signature to get there.

Archived