Day in Skagway

Likethesearchengine

I've found plenty of reviews saying that a trip into the Yukon in a rental car, up to Emerald Lake is very worthwhile. My plan is to rent that car and make that drive, but I can't seem to get directions to 'Emerald Lake.' The only emerald lake I can find in Canada is a day's drive away in BC - I don't find anything near Carcross, a hour or two north of Skagway? Is the lake actually named something else, or does anyone have specific instructions - preferably google maps - to get there?

Many thanks in advance.

As the others have said, get Murray's Guide! And, there is only one road out of town, so you'll have no problem. Even if you don't get Murray's guide, the Avis people will give you a map.

On our drive a few weeks ago, we saw a bear with two cubs, another lone bear, and a lynx! It was very cool.

Can you tell what type of ride this is..Believe it or not...both my husband and I have issues with driving on bridges and cliffs! We do it...but sometimes it is hard....just want to be prepared! Thanks!

My husband and I usually drive on our vacations and we have gone to many scenic areas. We loved taking the train up and the mini bus down with Chilkoot tours. We could both take in all the scenery with neither of us having to pay attention to the driving. We are careful with our vacation dollars as they are limited. However, we both agreed that leaving the driving to someone else was a very good decision for this trip. Going down the mountain we had a good amount of sunshine and the views were just magnificent. I liked being able to see it all without driving concerns.

Can you tell what type of ride this is..Believe it or not...both my husband and I have issues with driving on bridges and cliffs! We do it...but sometimes it is hard....just want to be prepared! Thanks!

This is a beautiful drive. BUT -- the first part of it is in precipitous country and there are big drop offs right next to the car. There is a also quite a suspension bridge to cross at one point. I am not big on heights either. I managed OK, though, but my DW was driving!

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/skagway.html

but you will notice that the dropoffs and the bridge are NOT in the pics!

Have a GREAT cruise!

The Emerald Lake in BC you found is most likely in Yoho National Park, just outside of Field, BC and about a 3 hour drive from Calgary, Alberta.

It is a very pretty place and well worth a visit but is also a long, long way from Skagway. Closer to a three day drive.

Hope you find the want you want.

Regards

Archived