What to wear?

RoxanneCat

This is our first cruise with NCL. We have previously cruised with Celebrity, Holland America Lines and it seemed most passengers really dressed up. We are booked on the Majesty to Bermuda in September and I wondered, considering the Free-Style cruising and how casual we have all become - do passengers dress up or is it really very casual on board?

In the famous words of NCL.....you can wear "whatever" :D

Seriously - you can dress up or down and be perfectly comfortable.

I understand they even allow jeans in most restaurants in the evenings now.

Shorts / tank tops not allowed most places for dinner....except buffet and diner/grills.

However, you can certainly dress to the nines and not feel entirely out of place, either, as enough others will be as well.

I helped a lot, huh? LOL sorry!! :)

Resort Casual is the way we go. A jacket and dress pants for hubby - cocktail dress or nice sundress for me for dinner. There is one or two "formal optional" evenings - this is held in the nicer main dining room on set nights. More formal wear there - but if you choose to go more casual there is always the "other" main dining room which will allow even jeans to be worn - whatever makes you comfortable - just not bathing suits or shorts (even dress shorts are not supposed to be allowed) but that is only for the evening meal - breakfast and lunch are fine to wear shorts - the bathing suits are only acceptable at the pool and the pool grills.

Wear what makes you happy. It really runs the gamut.

My fiance proposed on our last NCL cruise. On a non-formal night we got all dressed up in tuxedo & party dress. We weren't the only ones. The only reasons people looked at us was I couldn't stop shrieking with joy & kissing him but our clothes didn't turn a single head.

We dressed for most meals in casual clothes although I would never wear a collerless T shirt to dine. So smart polo shirt and trousers most nights. However we did have a meal with a couple of Americans that we befriended and I wore a jacket and tie (they didn't dress up) as I thought I'd be 'British'. We also had a special anniversary meal in Le Bistro and I again wore the jacket with a tie. I thought it made the meal special. I was the only bloke in there wearing them though.

I always go with resort casual myself. I haven't taken a tie on a cruise since the SS Norway cruise in 1999. I did have a sport coat on my October Transatlantic cruise, and on my Alaska cruise, but that was more for weather considerations than "dress-up" considerations. I wear Khaki type pants and a collared shirt and am always comfortable.

Don't report me to the Princess board - I'm not taking a sport coat, nor a tie on my upcoming Caribbean cruise this October!

Archived