Just off Dawn 08/10 - 08/17

reenicruiser

Whew, just waded through 735 emails I had received while at sea. Now I have time for a quick review of Dawn:

Emb and De were both a breeze, expected much worse. We carried our own luggage off, had a leisurely breakfast and walked off at 9:15.

Contrary to warning about NY ports, met no rude passengers except one miserable thing on the trolley. NY/NJ people were fabulous.

Crew was fantastic and aimed to please. One or two who looked like they wanted to go home, but who could blame them after 10 months. Majority very friendly, very cheerful, very happy to help. Especially liked entertainment crew.

Entertainment was good, not amazing. Good variety of shows. Younger set said NCL was the "worst" of all the lines they'd been on as far as things to do. I had nothing to compare to and was happy with what was offered, don't know how I would have fit much more into the week. Played bingo, won twice. Love the electronic machines and the fact that it was about 45 minutes of our time, not hours.

Food:

Venetian and Aqua - excellent. One lousy lunch but it wasn't the quality of the food, it was the weirdness of the choices (BLT with fried egg on the mayo). All 7 of us left most of our lunches on the table. Otherwise the menus were very, very good. BReakfast is best here if you have the time and no wired-up kid.

Salsa - best food on the ship, ate there twice. Yes, there was a $10 charge - worth it. But 2nd time we tried to give our key card to pay and a crew member said "if you had nothing from the bar you're set" so we happily walked out. Our waiter came flying out to the elevators to say we hadn't paid (in front of other couples) It was embarrassing but showed that even the crew doesn't know if there is supposed to be a charge at Salsa.

Bamboo - we ate in the largest part of the Bamboo trio (which is confusing). Excellent dinner except for dessert (tapioca pudding with tapioca the size (I swear) of gumballs).

Like others have said, Freestyle is a good idea that doesn't quite work. We spent a LOT of time trying to get a reservation and couldn't get in places even when it was just 2 of us. Once the nice lady at Salsa got us in when I told her my husband was diabetic and couldn't wait three hours to eat. What I didn't get is they'd tell you they were full but there would be empty tables all over the place when you'd walk by later.

Garden Cafe - I'll do a separate thread for this, lots to mention.

Did not try other specialty places but my group said Cagney's and Le Bistro were fabulous, too.

Blue Lagoon was used often by the whole group. Great to know you can stop by any time day or night for coffee and good cheesecake, or meals. Burgers, dogs, hot wings, fries, a really goof chef salad and an outstanding panini sandwich. BUT, if I had to choose one plae on the ship where the crew was the least happy and on-the-ball this would be it. Tired, I guess, the pace rarely slows down.

Archived