FYI: 20% increase in service charge, effective January 1, 2009

lambs2

I am not sure about this "grandfathering" of the old rates. I was told by my TA that this is effective in January, 12.00 pp ages 3 and older, regardless of when you booked. I do trust my TA and will check back with her to see what she can get from NCL.

I have been told some really innaccurate information from the NCL representatives in the past. I hate to say it but my experience has been that they tell you what you want to hear and get you off the phone. I would only feel comfortable if someone heard the information from a PCC at NCL who they trust or a TA who checks it out with a supervisor or their NCL Representative.

There have been a lot of people on these boards who have called NCL and got one answer and then have called back, spoke to someone else and have received another answer on the same question.

I like how the kids are only charged $5/day. They don't suggest a kid discount over at RC.

According to my TA, after January 1, 2009 NCL will no longer have the kid discount for children over age 3. Here is the official NCL wording from their web site, and I agree, it is not 100% clear just what the kid's service charge will be:

NCL Service Charge

On all NCL ships payment of Pre- Paid Service Fee is required. A fixed Service Charge of $10 per person, per day will be added to your onboard account. For children ages 3-12, a $5 per person per day charge will be added to your onboard account: there is no charge for children under the age of three. (A fixed Service Charge of $12 per person, per day will be effective on January 1, 2009)

• 2 weeks later...

Would the crew get all the increase? Or would NCL keep some of the increase? If the crew got all the increase service charge, then I would be for that. If the crew get the equivalent increase i(20%) in combined base wages/service charges, then that would be good.

According to the email I got from my TA I also understood that the the new charge was $12 for all passengers 3 and up starting Jan 1. I called my TA and asked if since I was booked already would I be grandfathered in like we were with the added fuel surcharge. I was told no, he kept me on the phone while he called NCL and tried to get a shipboard credit or something and they said no. So I called NCL to see what the deal was and they said I was grandfathered in at the old service charge. Now I'm confused who to believe..

You pay your cruise charge, taxes and fuel surcharge before you cruise. NCL and your TA know when you made the booking so if any charges need to be grandfathered they would know. However, the service charges are added daily to your bill on board so it makes sense that whoever is on board Jan 1, 2009 and later would be charged the new $12 a day service charge ( tip)

All of the cruise lines play mind games with the passengers and in fact do a disservice to the crew. The $10 a day fee is not a tip but they (all the cruise lines) kind of make you think this is your fee for tips for the crew. So then most people don't tip at all because they think they already did. Why the heck don't they just include the fee in the cost of the trip instead of playing games with everyone to make you think you're getting a better deal than you actually are? When you add the cost of "the fee", specialty restaurants, fuel charges, etc., it isn't nearly as inexpensive to cruise as they would have you believe. If they included this "fee" and didn't separate it out and didn't let people believe it had something to do with tipping I think the crew members would actually get much better tips from travelers.

I for one would not want for them to add the service charge to my cruise fare. Then I would feel obliged to tip everyone individually whether I received excellent service or not. It would be like the old days when we handed the tips to everyone regardless type of service. I only want to tip extra to those who give service over and above the norm.

Regardless of age, I think that the charge for tips should be the same for everyone.

I agree..sheets are changed regardless of age as are towels.

Servers, serve 3 or 4 instead of 2;)

And, for those of you who do not pick up your children's cheerios, crumbs from the floor....who do think does pick them up?

We have never been on an NCL ship where the crew is not working CONSTANTLY! Look at how many times they "change their hats" during a cruise!

familyof4cruising....please post your all-inclusive land vacation prices for a family of 4 when you get them.

We are paying LESS (today) for an NCL cruise than we paid for a family of 4 (for a land vacation) back in 1988:eek:

I got to know our steward fairly well on one cruise and she said that they do get the service charge/tip from the cruise line. That was good to know cause they work their tails off.

I also think that everyone over the age of 3 should be charged the same rate. My grand-daughter's bed was made up and towels were changed as often as were mine. She was also a lot messier as kids tend to be. I tip extra anyway because I've never had a bad steward who didn't do an immaculate job. Maybe I've just been lucky or maybe it's because I give them the respect they deserve for cleaning up after people with a smile to boot. I know I couldn't do the job without grumbling.

Also if you consider that a family of 4 pays $4800/wk with a serv.chg. of $336, that is only a 7% tip overall. Not that bad really.

Its been $10 so long this was inevitable especially with the decline of the US dollar against most currencies. They didn't increase the child's amount. For a week its a big $14.00...I wish my gas bill would only go up that much....

but I do think since the barrel price of oil has dropped 25% that surcharge should be lowed...

I agree.

Its been $10 so long this was inevitable especially with the decline of the US dollar against most currencies. They didn't increase the child's amount. For a week its a big $14.00...I wish my gas bill would only go up that much....

Hmmm...they still don't say anything about childrens rates being any lower.

On all NCL ships payment of Pre- Paid Service Fee is required. A fixed Service Charge of $10 per person, per day will be added to your onboard account. For children ages 3-12, a $5 per person per day charge will be added to your onboard account: there is no charge for children under the age of three. (A fixed Service Charge of $12 per person, per day will be effective on January 1, 2009)

Personally I don't think they should be lower since children are as much or more work than adults but they should clarify.

On rethinking this a bit, maybe they are charging the same for children, thus the word "fixed".

Would the crew get all the increase? Or would NCL keep some of the increase? If the crew got all the increase service charge, then I would be for that. If the crew get the equivalent increase i(20%) in combined base wages/service charges, then that would be good.

Yes the crew would get it. Mainly restaurant department staff and cabin stewards.

Hmmm...they still don't say anything about childrens rates being any lower.

Personally I don't think they should be lower since children are as much or more work than adults but they should clarify.

On rethinking this a bit, maybe they are charging the same for children, thus the word "fixed".

Supposedly it will be $12 for adults and $6 for kids.

I agree with you MrLee, some kids are as much if not more work than adults. I bet if you asked the crew, they'd ask that kids be charged as adults are, $12.

Happy Cruising! :)

Supposedly it will be $12 for adults and $6 for kids.

I agree with you MrLee, some kids are as much if not more work than adults. I bet if you asked the crew, they'd ask that kids be charged as adults are, $12.

As it stands right now my understanding the same $12 charge will apply to both Kids and Adults

Pardon me for re-hashing old information but I have been away for a while. While I agree that the crew is entitled to fair compensation, I also agree that this whole thing could be simplified by having NCL (or any cruise line) pay the crew fairly, raise the cruise rates by the equivilent amount of what is required to be paid for the daily gratuity charge and then advertise that no additonal daily gratuity will be charged or expected. Then it would be entirely up to the individual cruise passengers to recognize outstanding service in whatever amount they wish (or not at all). On our ten day cruise, this would mean that the gratuity would have been paid before the cruise, and we would not have ($12 x 10 days x 2 people) $240 added to our credit card.

Restaurants in Germany have the gratuity included in the price of the meal. Patrons may pay what they call "trink geld" (literally drink money) for good service, but it is normally very little, definitely not a percentage of the entire bill. This seems to work pretty well there.

Just an idea!

Pardon me for re-hashing old information but I have been away for a while. While I agree that the crew is entitled to fair compensation, I also agree that this whole thing could be simplified by having NCL (or any cruise line) pay the crew fairly, raise the cruise rates by the equivilent amount of what is required to be paid for the daily gratuity charge and then advertise that no additonal daily gratuity will be charged or expected. Then it would be entirely up to the individual cruise passengers to recognize outstanding service in whatever amount they wish (or not at all). On our ten day cruise, this would mean that the gratuity would have been paid before the cruise, and we would not have ($12 x 10 days x 2 people) $240 added to our credit card.

Restaurants in Germany have the gratuity included in the price of the meal. Patrons may pay what they call "trink geld" (literally drink money) for good service, but it is normally very little, definitely not a percentage of the entire bill. This seems to work pretty well there.

Just an idea!

But if they did that they couldn't advertise such low prices. :rolleyes:

Just an idea!

Sort of what NCL does now with the surcharge being added to your onboard account automatically. And if you wish to tip more to anyone for any reason you can.

Just an idea!

The problem with this, from a consumer point of view, is that if they included it in the cost of the cruise, they would have to charge you even more than the $10.00 PP PD or $12.00 PP PD. If it was included in the cost of the cruise itself, they would have to pay commissions on it to TA's. To make up the difference they would actually have to charge you more so that the crew could get the $10.00 PP PD or $12.00 PP PD or what ever the going rate at that time would be. So if they paid a TA 5% commission (no idea what rate they are paid), then you would have to pay 5% more on the daily service charge portion than you already do.

We as consumers are just going to have to realize this is part of the cost of the LUXURY of taking a cruise and we need to have the mind set we owe it when we book the cruise. The daily service charge is the price we pay (those of us who like the Freestyle way of cruising). That is what is great about competition. If you don't like the way one company does it, you can choose another one.

You pay your cruise charge, taxes and fuel surcharge before you cruise. NCL and your TA know when you made the booking so if any charges need to be grandfathered they would know. However, the service charges are added daily to your bill on board so it makes sense that whoever is on board Jan 1, 2009 and later would be charged the new $12 a day service charge ( tip)

We've booked via our TA in Australia, and this is what the receipt with the booking fee says "Price includes meals and entertainment onboard, port taxes and surcharges. Price includes gratuities. Optional shore excursions are not included." I thought that would include the daily service charge, but now I'm not so sure? :confused: Any opinions? I just want to be able to finalise our budget!

We've booked via our TA in Australia, and this is what the receipt with the booking fee says "Price includes meals and entertainment onboard, port taxes and surcharges. Price includes gratuities. Optional shore excursions are not included." I thought that would include the daily service charge, but now I'm not so sure? :confused: Any opinions? I just want to be able to finalise our budget!

I am fairly sure they pre pay it for you(the service charge) but its better to call them and ask.

Just an idea!

And, those who do not take the insurance...would also lose the gratuity $$$ when they cannot take the cruise that they planned (due to any last minute emergency) because that charge was already paid!

Also, those $$$ are in your account, pre-cruise (earning interest) until you are billed for them during your cruise. Most likely, your charge bill arrives 15-30 days AFTER your cruise. Why???? would you want to pay that in advance?

Not sure I understand your logic...why would you pay "up front" when you can pay later:confused:

Recent months have seen the American dollar lose value against most of the worlds currencies; ie last year $1.00US traded for about 1.05 euro, today the 1.00 euro is worth about $1.40US, $1.00US gets you only .50 pounds. You will also find that US currency is no longer accepted by merchants in many countries, and where the dollar was almost universally accepted in the past, it is no longer as desireable, and you will often have to exchange your dollars for euros, pounds, marks, or local currency before going into town.

The cruise line employee, with his gratuity/service charge money in US dollars is realizing a loss in compensation due to the devaluation of the dollar. While the 20% increase may seem large, the loss in purchasing of the US dollar has far exceded that percentage, and I believe the increase was largely meant to offset that loss.

Petert

I'm old enough to remember the "way it used to be", when workers were tipped for good service and if the service wasn't good...no tips, in other words when a tip was truly a tip. How did we go from that to subsidizing underpaid employees and having it be just a matter of course? We no longer voluntarily tip, now it's mandatory whether the service is good or not because the service workers are so underpaid and their employers are so happy to sit back and let us, the consumers, pay the balance of their inadequate salaries. I am definitely not against tipping for good service and I always do but I will be honest in that I resent, in all aspects of life not just cruises, being forced to subsidize a workers salary when the service they give doesn't warrant it. I think it's really sad that we let it become what it has and now accept it as "normal" and I'm as guilty as the next person. Just my observation and opinion.

I am fairly sure they pre pay it for you(the service charge) but its better to call them and ask.

A lot of agencies advertise prices that include the gratuities so that is probably so in your case. I agree with smeyer418 that you should call your TA just to confirm.

Your onboard account will probably show a daily service charge and then will show a credit for the same amount on a daily basis or it will show the daily service charge on a daily basis and what that amount adds up to will show as a credit of that whole total at the end of your bill.

If you confirm with your TA that you have indeed prepaid your gratuities, bring the paperwork with you. On day 2 or 3, go to the purser's desk to make sure you are getting the credit.

BTW: Does the receipt for your cruise not have the breakdown of all the monies you have paid? Mine always shows the cruise fare, port charges, taxes/fees and fuel surcharge. Of course, I have never prepaid the gratuities so yours should have that shown also. Have your TA give you paperwork that shows you have prepaid your gratuities.

Archived