Carnival Victory chartered, booked passengers told to shove off

SCDivers

Is anyone else outraged at the fact that Carnival can cancel all passengers who have already booked and paid deposits because all of a sudden the ship has been chartered?

We were told by our travel agent that the cruise on the Carnival Victory from April 12 - April 26 2009 has been chartered and all previously booked passengers have been cancelled. The only attempt at compensation is that they offered another cruise at the same price and for those that have already booked airfare they will pay the $100 change fee.

Am I alone thinking that this is not enough? The airfare has gone up and to go on a different cruise I will be out at least another $200 on top of the change fee.

Just wanted to see what others thought, I know they have given more compensation for less inconvience than this.

I have heard of this happening before. I know that I wouldn't be too happy about but maybe you will find a better cruise. It is said that everything happens for a reason.

I thought that they usually offer a small onboard credit.

Yup, it does happen. I'd be upset if it happened to us, especially if there was a group of us looking forward to the cruise. Fortunately in 13 cruises it's never happened to us but I suppose there's always a first time! I don't think it happens often, considering how many cruises sail each year.

well if they are offering another cruise at the same price you paid, I would make sure you choose a cruise that is more expensive than the one you booked already. (did I read that right?)

I do think it sucks!! Makes you feel like you just don't matter afterall huh?

I'd be p----d! Especially if the air is already booked.

Ouch, this would sting! Because this is still 8 months out I would hope that changes could be made to your satisfaction. I am surprised you have your airfare already, being so far out. Since you have booked your air, this is (IMHO) what I negotiate if there is any difference in price. Good luck to you!

Happened to a lot of folks after Katrina.

We had our cruise cancelled with ONE month's notice due to Carnival leasing the ships to the Government for housing.

Just part of cruising....

That happened to my family and I a few years ago. We booked ourselves on the Glory and two weeks later we're told someone chartered the ship and we had to find a new ship. None of Carnival's itineraries for that time seemed interesting so we went on HAL's Zuiderdam.

We already booked airfare while the prices were down. Like I said, prices are $200 more now than what we paid. We also had a group rate for cruise and got awesome price. That's what we get for planning ahead. Carnival has only offered the cruise March 23 or April 26 for the same price. Or we could go on another caribbean cruise same week. We would still have to pay for airfare change.

Ouch, this would sting! Because this is still 8 months out I would hope that changes could be made to your satisfaction. I am surprised you have your airfare already, being so far out. Since you have booked your air, this is (IMHO) what I negotiate if there is any difference in price. Good luck to you!

Another reason not to book that far ahead........

I am also surprised you already got airfare:confused:

Why is it suprising to book airfare early?? I know I book mine on Jetblue as soon as fares get announced because that's when they are the cheapest...I think Southwest works the same way (fares are cheaper the earlier you book) Why would I wait to pay more?

:( I know it isn't fun being 'bumped' off the ship. I'd be very upset if it happened to me. It is, however, just part of cruising. I hope you find another cruise that you like even better. Sorry for your trouble.

Why is it suprising to book airfare early?? I know I book mine on Jetblue as soon as fares get announced because that's when they are the cheapest...I think Southwest works the same way (fares are cheaper the earlier you book) Why would I wait to pay more?

Sorry, I didn't mean it wouldn't be wise to book air early (as it is very wise) but, usually I don't find anyone quoting anything 8 months (or in this case maybe more) out. I know that Southwest is 6 months tops, every once in awhile it might be more. So, that is why I was surprised she already had her air.

Southwest doesn't even release their flights until about 5 to 6 months out. Once they release theirs the other airlines will compete.........

Right now, Delta is fairly competitive on the dates I need in March compared to what JetBlue is offering in January. I'm just waiting for JetBlue to open up March and then I'm booking one or the other. I'd be none too pleased if Carnival suddenly cancelled my booking due to a group charter after that.

Government needing housing after Katrina I completely understand but being bumped for a group not so much. I honestly don't remember reading about that possibility in the T&Cs. :confused:

Right now' date=' Delta is fairly competitive on the dates I need in March compared to what JetBlue is offering in January. I'm just waiting for JetBlue to open up March and then I'm booking one or the other. I'd be none too pleased if Carnival suddenly cancelled my booking due to a group charter after that.

[/quote']

Jet Blue just pulled out of our airport:cool:

I was going to ask if there was a timeline outside of which it cannot be chartered, but I guess not.

If it was more than a year away, it would still suck, but I could understand it. Less than a year seems pretty bad. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask companies to charter a year in advance - you're reserving for 2-3000 people. Weddings are booked further in advance than this for a tenth of the number of people for one night only! But which cruiseline is going to turn down a big company who could be a repeater?

Sorry to hear about your cruise :( I would be angry too.

This happened to us in mid June on the Legend. We were booked on the April 26th cruise and I found out when I was looking at shore excursions and all of a sudden the cruise was gone from their web site! Our TA called and the customer service people didn't even know about it. We ended up rebooking on the April 12th date which sucks since it is Easter week and we went from the Legend being the only ship in the ports to being 1 of 4 ships. They also did not give us any compensation or OBC. We are all driving, so fortunately no air was involved, but it was still a pain. In our case it was chartered to a college alumni group, so I guess it's just as well we didn't end up sharing the cruise with a bunch of college reunions!

The up side is we are still going a cruise and to the same ports so yea!!!

Archived