Need advice from one 13 yo to another 13 yo

luvmygirlz

Okay,

We will be cruising on the Fascination in Oct. I am trying to convince my 13yo daughter to check out the club for her age group. She is kind of shy and not wanting to do this, but I think she would have a lot more fun than hanging out with the old folks. So.....................Are there any other 13 yo or parents that can give her a heads up as to what to expect and if they have been in her shoes offer any advise for her?

Make sure she goes the first night, when all the kids meet each other. That's the best thing she can do. My DD did not do this for a few cruises and, since I wouldn't let her walk around the ship alone, she was stuck in the cabin. Once she met a group of friends -- for the first time on our last cruise when she was 15 -- she had a MUCH better time. Again, she didn't want to go to the teen club, but I made her do it on the first night.

My DS, now 13, always goes to the club to see what's going on. He just picks activities and meets kids. He's a lot easier.

Your DD can have fun, but it is up to her.

I have a 12 yo daughter that just went on her first cruise a year and a half ago and she LOVED camp carnival. True, she had her cousin (a boy) with her to help her break the ice, but after the first day they each had their own friends they hung around and we hardly saw them the whole cruise. It is definatly worth her checking out. We are going on the Fascination in less than a month and she will be at camp arnival the whole cruise except when i MAKE her be with me at ports of call and breakfast and dinner. If anything, make her a deal. Ask her to try it out for a couple hours and if she doesn't like it, then at least she tried. On the shy part of it, the camp counselors are very outgoing and they always see to it that everyone has a good time and everyone interacts together! I hope she gives it a try! :D

Hi, my 13 year old son traveled with us on the Freedom this past Easter break.:o He has never been a real big fan of Camp Carnival other than going a few times per cruise. To our huge surprise, after coaxing him to go the first day to get the club info for his age group, he tried it on day 2. After his first visit, we saw him only for breakfast lunch and dinner. :) He typically is shy especially when meeting new kids his age. He also doesn't go out of his way to socialize at home. As it turned out, they had so many fun things, dances etc for the kids his age, he is still to this day texting and staying in touch with the friends he made on that cruise.

We are cruising with Carnival over Christmas and he can't wait to go. He's really hoping to have as much fun as he did last time. If I can answer any further questions please ask!;)

The first night is a great idea. My niece is also going, but she just turned 15. I am hoping we can keep her in my daughters age group. I think it will be much easier for both of them. I think she will have a great time.

Hey Fayemike1.....Where in FL are you from? I am from around G'ville

We travel during our fall break so there arean't alot of kids, my daughter 13 now has been cruising for the past 5 years, she isn't a big fan of camp carnival. I went a few times to the first night meet and greet and can't say that I blamed her for not being interested. But this will be a completely experience on every cruise. The best advise I can give is take someone for them to hang out with, you will spend more money but well worth having a happy child, when they're not happy you're not going to be happy.

Our first cruise was last year on Valor. Our daughter, 13, was not real excited about the whole camp idea. But she went to the first few activities, met a few kids and ended up having a great time. She made 2 close friends who she still is in contact with. By the last few days it was hard to get her to even eat lunch with us. She thought the activities were okay, but really liked having friend there she could just hang out with.

If you'd like I can have her give you her opinions on what was great and not so great from the all knowing opinion that only a 13 (now 14) year old can offer.

Carnival is struggling with the 12-14 age group. They are a little bit awAY FROM HAVING A BETTER PROGRAM. tHE FIRST NIGHT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT AS THAT IS WHERE FRIENDS ARE MADE AND THEN SOME NEVER RETURN, THEY JUST HANG OUT WITH EACH OTHER.

Sorry about the caps, hit the lock by accident.

My 13 yo went the first night and a few others but by the end of the week, very few were still going.

Definitely get her to go the first night. In her age group that is when they have a little meet and greet. For example when my son went last time they played foosbal in the teen area. The counselors/supervisors get them all to tell where they are from. Remember everyone is new on the first day. In my son's case sometimes he makes friends to hang out with outside of the camp and sometimes he will join certain activities and other times he just hangs with us if there is no one he wants to hang around with.

I can't emphasize enough as others have, she needs to go the first night, even if you have to drag her. :D My son was 15 two years ago on his first cruise. He is pretty shy and did not want to go. My DH made him go with him. I was not sure if my son really enjoyed the first night or not, but the next morning he was asking where the schedule for the Club O2 was so that he could figure out where to go to meet the kids. He made friends (some that he still has) that he hung out with the entire cruise, and the teen group did a shore excursion as a group. My DS is now 17 and we are taking another cruise in December before he turns 18 so he can participate in the Club O2 again. He is very excited and I am glad that he enjoys it so much. :)

Our first cruise was last year on Valor. Our daughter, 13, was not real excited about the whole camp idea. But she went to the first few activities, met a few kids and ended up having a great time. She made 2 close friends who she still is in contact with. By the last few days it was hard to get her to even eat lunch with us. She thought the activities were okay, but really liked having friend there she could just hang out with.

If you'd like I can have her give you her opinions on what was great and not so great from the all knowing opinion that only a 13 (now 14) year old can offer.

This would be great! Thanks.

Archived