Is the Normandie Hotel close to Old San Juan?

mwalker

We are staying at the Normandie Hotel in 9 days! We definitely want to check out Old San Juan. Is it within walking distance of the hotel? I'm just trying to decide if I should get a rental car or take a taxi everywhere! I saw the taxi rates thanks to someone who posted them and they are very helpful! Seems almost cheaper to get a rental car....I just wish you could pick up the rental car at the airport and drop it off at the cruise port. This isn't possible is it?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Michelle

The Hotel Normandie is about a mile east of the Old City. To get an idea, Old San Juan is located on an islet that's connected to "mainland" Puerto Rico by bridges and causeways. The Normandie sits at the east end of the islet, Old San Juan is at the west end of it. You can walk it. There's sort of a promenade that overlooks the Atlantic all the way from the Normandie to Old San Juan. The area in between is known as "Puerta de Tierra", or Land Gate. You want to stay on the north side all the time. The south side is mostly cargo piers and the area is being re-devoloped. The center section is occupied by not-too-nice neighborhoods.

Again, stay on the northernmost road. Not only will you enjoy great Atlantic views, but you'll also walk by the Escambron Public Beach, Luis Muñoz-Rivera Park, and the Capitol Building. As you turn the corner just before the Capitol, you'll start seeing the ramparts of Fort San Cristobal on your far right. That's where Old San Juan starts.

If at night, I would take a taxi there and back. It's not that it is unsafe to walk at night, but some areas are dark and lonely so just to be cautious, it's better to get a ride.

Some rental cars would allow you to drop the car off at the pier. I've heard Charlie Rent-a-Car does it (they have a nerby location in Condado), but I've heard gripes about that company recently on this board.

If you're going to be at the Normandie for nine days, at some point you might want to rent a car anyway to go to the rainforest, for example. But if your intention is to stay in and around Old San Juan, you could do without it.

I'm not sure if the Normandie has a rental car concession, but I know that in the nearby Condado Plaza Hotel Hertz has one. A block or so west of that Charlie Car Rental has an office.

If you walk from the hotel to Old San Juan, as you climb the first hill, you'll see a joint called "El Hamburguer" on your left on the other side of the street. It's not very impressive looking (it doesn't even has air conditioning) but it has a great view of the ocean and the best hamburguers in town.

My personal favorite is the blue cheese and bacon.

It's very busy during lunchtime (11:00 - 13:00), after school gets out(14:30), and on Friday and Saturday nights.

A lunch for two with fries and cold beer will cost you less than $20.00.

1 night in 8 days, got it. Old San Juan should keep you busy enough. I live in PR and I never tire of going there. If you rent a car, there are three main areas where you can park. Once you get to Old San Juan, make a left as you get abeam Fort San Cristobal. You'll see the Tapia Theatre, go around it's back on the cobble stone street. That'll lead you into Recinto Sur street. There you'll see two parking garages. The first is privately operated (best choice), and the next one down the street is publicly operated (so-so). That area is a good jumping off point into the heart of the Old City. There's a row of good restaurants on that street as well, including the Hard Rock Cafe and Raices.

Or you could continue down Recinto Sur street, make a left past the federal building/U.S. Post Office/U.S. Courthouse, and go into La Princesa parking lot. $2.00 for the entire day.

You going on the Adventure or the Destiny?

If you're only staying in SJ for 1 day and not planning to do any outside of the city driving, don't rent a car. Driving in SJ is not a fun thing, and is very crowded and narrow roads. Hopping a taxi is alot easier. There doesn't appear to be any rules or regulations on the roads, and the drivers are extremely aggresive. I closed my eyes many a times while in the taxi. Now if you're going on a day trip out of SJ, then renting a car is the way to go.

My DH and I have walked from the cruise ships down to Escambron Beach several times.....exactly the way Aviator of the Seas wrote in his post. It is a beautiful walk. We wear our swimsuits and coverups and go to the beach with the locals. The Normandie Hotel is just past the beach park.

There is also a free shuttle in old San Juan with several stops. I would just hire a taxi for transport to the hotel and the cruise terminal, and walk the other times, unless there is a medical reason you can't walk far. We are mid to late fifties and walked up into San Juan, shopped, had chips and salsa, and then walked to and from the beach and back to the ship. There are also local buses, but I'm unsure which ones or schedules to take you.

Aviator of the seas...........thanks for the suggestion for El Hamburguer......we'll try it next time we are in San Juan!

Aviator - we will be on Adventure of the Seas with Royal Caribbean.

Thanks for all of the suggestions - we will probably try the hamburger joint as my husband loves those types of restaurants!

My husband and I are in pretty good shape, so we are able to walk just fine. I was just concerned about walking at night, I have heard several people say it's not a good idea. Maybe we will just have to head back to the hotel early, or take a taxi back.

I also love the Adventure of the Seas! It docks in what seems a stone throw away from the Normandie Hotel, but the intersection between the Pan Am pier and the Normandie/Puerta de Tierra/Old San Juan is not pedestrian friendly. Your best bet is to take the short taxi ride from the hotel.

Enjoy your cruise.

AoS

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jewel of the Seas, Canada/New England, October 2008

Adventure of the Seas, Barbados route, August 2007

Adventure of the Seas, Aruba route, August 2006

BVI Private Cruise, Virgin Gorda downwind to Tortola, July 2001

Passage Islands Private Cruises, as often as I can...

Archived