The CC QE2 Tribute

Bramcruiser

Hi fellow Cunarders. You know, we are really only a few months (eight more voyages) away from the de-comissioning of the QE2. I thought, there should be a gathering of tributes, thoughts (likes and dislikes), stories of memorable events, etc. in regards to this ship on the Cunard thread. So far people are telling individual stories on other threads or on roll calls. Oh I can hear certain QM2 and QV lovers groaning :D but this thread isn't meant as a black mark on these ships (I plan to move forward with Cunard) - just a tribute to a ship that served Cunard longer than any other ship and has moved from space-age liner to an icon.

I don't really have much to tell from my standpoint. For me, the QE2 always represented a symbol of ocean crossing in much the same way the Concorde represented the ultimate in air travel. Growing up, I never would imagine myself doing either of the two. My family never travelled much and who thought back then that we could ever afford to do so? Well, the Concorde disappeared first and I never flown on her but I managed to step foot onto the QE2 last year - a short 5 day Europe voyage combined with my first ever visit to Europe (another amazing event for me). I had to keep pinching myself that this was real and not some sad dream I would wake up from.:eek:

The first time I laid eyes on her was from our hotel room in Southampton as I watched her sail in early in the morning and dock at the terminal. I was thrilled and immediately fell in love. I wasn't disappointed either when we were close up at the port and when we first stepped aboard. Despite her age, she was lovingly maintained in my eyes. Sure she wasn't modern by today's standards (yes, you actually have to use a real key to unlock the door) but she felt welcoming - like I was home even though I just stepped onboard. We were in a C1 cabin - our present to ourselves at our expense - and found our service in the Caronia Restaurant the best we ever had. I am pleased to report that she performed extremely well at sea too - like the QM2 you can definitely tell the difference between an ocean liner and a cruise ship.

I can't ever say that the QE2 was there for memorable events in my life other than the fact I was on the QE2 and it was part of my first visit to Europe. I don't have the same attachment as some who have very interesting stories to tell. Still, I think I made the right decision to book the final westbound transatlantic crossing even before last year's cruise. To me its only right that she goes out doing what she was originally built to do - and happy that I will get a chance to do it right this time! And yes, even having the QM2 along for the crossing is important to me - you see the QM2 was my first ever Cunard ship I sailed on and I feel that its something special to me that both ships go along for the journey. Although for this purpose - it is the QE2 that I have to be on without a doubt!

Okay, I opened my big mouth again. Hopefully others will have wonderful memories to tell.

David

Now where are those pesky pre-voyage documents that still have not arrived!:(

Archived