drink on board

Stephen W

Can anyone comment on the wine plans that are offered?

A quick scan suggested that they were good value bottle for bottle but how do you get what you like?

Do you get a bottle per couple per meal (perhaps too much)?

If you dine in a speciality restaurant is your plan bottle available there?

We took out a Premier Wine Plan on Aurora last October in the Adriatic.

I asked Helen our wine steward which wines were included and she came back with a list.

She also reminded me as a sapphire customer I got 7.5% discount on the price.

It is for a number of bottles which can be drunk on each night or kept until the following day

Helen also arranged when we ate in the specialty restaurant for the wine to be delivered there.

All we had to do was ask the night before in dinner.

Hope this helps

Carl

Carl,

TY. Was it better value?

I see you could save some wine for the next night - how many bottles were in the wine plan or was it variable?

What would happen if you did not consume all the bottle in the plan? Could you take any home?

Ours was the most expensive Premier package, If I remember correctly it was for 8 bottles 4 red and 4 white and was at promised at least 10% below wine list price (plus your Portunus discount).

We drank all ours as it was 8 bottles in 14 nights, but I guess as you've paid for it so you should be able to take it home.

Could somebody confirm for Pontius?

Carl

The wine package sounds like a good idea as we usually have a bottle each evening. Do you know if the packages are posted anywhere so we can have a look in advance?

Do you normally ask your steward for bottles to drink in the cabin or is there a list to complete?

The wine package sounds like a good idea as we usually have a bottle each evening. Do you know if the packages are posted anywhere so we can have a look in advance?

Do you normally ask your steward for bottles to drink in the cabin or is there a list to complete?

Wine plans are sold quickly there is a restricted number, we saw it in the Aurora newspaper.

There is a number to ring we were amongst the last to get ours as I left it until dinner.

Other drinks there is a menu of all cabin extras, including drinks there are tickets for you to complete. (you write in your cabin number, list what you want, sign it, it is then charged to your cabin).

We leave ours on the bed when leaving for dinner and almost always you'd have the items by dinner the following evening.

Hope this helps

Carl

• 3 months later...

Hi have been trawling through the threads and came across this one which prompted me to ask a question , I am booked on the Ventura for the norwegian fjords in june wand was wondering if i could take a few bottles of belgian beer aborad rather then "tinnies " ? Also just a question about the sail away party as its our first cruise , are any of the drinks free ?!!! somehow i doubt it but you never know i could be lucky !!

if could take a few bottles of belgian beer aborad rather then "tinnies " ? Also just a question about the sail away party as its our first cruise , are any of the drinks free ?!!!

The only free drinks on board will be at the Captain's reception on your first formal night.

You may indeed bring your own beer on board although they reserve the right to impose limits etc. A trolley with 5 slabs of that famous Belgian mademosielle's beer would probbaly be seen as taking the pilsner. A moderate amount, say 6 bottles, would be no problem.

With wine they would exercise a right to corkage if it were consummed in public rooms or on deck. The rate is £10 per bottle but I saw someone with their own champagne on a sailaway and no one rushing over with a penalty chit. Certainly you would be charged in the restaurant.

Stella is about £2.40 per bottle and available in draught at some bars.

While no drinks are free many drinks are offered at special prices on a daily basis. At the Southampton sailaway you would be charged near £2 per glass for champagne. At the Great British Sailaway, perhaps in Bergen, they charge about £2.40 for a Pimms. Other days the cocktail of the day would be £2.40 for normal and £3.40 for large - a normal was usually big enough thank you.

You can buy a wine plan of 6 bottles for about £75 which is a 15% discount.

Hope that helps.

Thank you Pontius Navigator for your reply , i was planning on taking something more like the 6 bottles of hoegarden rather then 5 slabs of stella ! would be just to sup a bottle each night on the balcony before going for dinner . thanks also for the prices for the sailways and the cocktails of the day , am curious about the sailaway , is there a party atmosphere ? i suppose at those prices there should be !!

Archived