Vancouver Grouse Mountain Underdelivering on value

Yesterday we visited Grouse Mountain as a way to kill the day after getting off the Millennium. After we paid our $35/person admission fee, we traveled up to the top of the mountain. The views were excellent, however there was construction taking place and as a result, the Brown Bear exhibit was closed, the bird exhibit was closed, and the trails were quite muddy. Those were some major items to have closed and not adjust the admission fee accordingly. Anyway, if anyone is planning to go in the near future, be sure and verify if what you want to see is available.

Dave

'the trails were quite muddy"

We had fairly heavy rain earlier in the week so that would have caused the trails to be wet.

I know that Grouse is adding to the Zip Line adventure course but I didn't think that that construction would cause the closure of some of the other attractions.

As I have to renew my annual pass in the next few days that will be a good excuse to head up the mountain and see just exactly what is going on.

Cheers

Dennis

Yesterday we visited Grouse Mountain as a way to kill the day after getting off the Millennium. After we paid our $35/person admission fee, we traveled up to the top of the mountain. The views were excellent, however there was construction taking place and as a result, the Brown Bear exhibit was closed, the bird exhibit was closed, and the trails were quite muddy. Those were some major items to have closed and not adjust the admission fee accordingly. Anyway, if anyone is planning to go in the near future, be sure and verify if what you want to see is available.

Dave

I am very sad to hear about this as in the normal scheme of things they are a first class attraction and have operated successfully by offering first class service since I was a youngster.

As Ut has said, there is probably not much they could do about the trails except add some mulch or gravel but I agree that with the rest, a notice and reduction in admission should or would be in order.

I hope that Ut, will bring your post and that of another CC'er to their attention, it is too small of a world to be disappointing customers.

Kim - I couldn't find anything on there website about any closures etc but if it ever stops raining I will be heading up the mountain this weekend and will try and find out for you.

Here's there website - perhaps you could email them:

http://www.grousemountain.com/Summer/

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

To be fair, i don't think these were "long term" closures. They were removing trees by helicopter the day we were there for construction and because of that the bears and birds were closed. Also because of that, mobility was very limited and you could not walk the trails for safety reasons. I probably should have mentioned the helicopter deal in my first post.

I was disgusted because they didn't mention the bears were closed until after they had my $70 and didn't mention the other closures at all. The only thing to do after going to the top of the mountain was the lumber jack show and it was at least an hour wait before we could see it.

Feel free to flame away, but I kind of felt like it was a tourist trap. Just my opinion.

Tenderpaw - truly sorry that you had an unpleasant experience in regards to Grouse Mt and you were correct that the trails were closed because of construction of the new zipline course. Many people go up Grouse just for the views which on a clear day like today can be spectacular - did you take in the Theater in the Sky show which is also included in your ticket.

I was up the mountain today and all the regular attractions were available although the bears decided that they wanted to stay in the bushes and not come out and play so you wouldn't have gotten that good of photos of them.

The lumberjack guys were setting up when I was leaving - have seen the show a couple of times before and there were a few people flying by me on the zipline and one para-glider was soaring overhead after having taken off from the Peak of Grouse Mt.

I guess for us regulars who buy the annual Grouse Pass if something is closed for a day it doesn't matter because it should be there the next time we go up the mountain.

Have you emailed or written to Grouse about your disappointment - when I was in the Guest Services office renewing my pass there were comments cards there to fill out.

Cheers

Dennis

Just got back from our Alaskan Cruise on the Carnival Spirit. We flew in a day early in order to see Vancouver and enjoyed the city and "tourist traps" emensly. I know the zip line was up and running, but we passed. The only thing that I was not sure about was the bird exhibit. We couldn't find it but passed some workers walking accross the grounds with a couple of rather large birds.....not sure what kind. It had started raining pretty hard and we were running out of time so we didn't follow them. Considering the skyride up the mountain in Juneau was $25 each......I guess it is all relative.

The wood carvings were quite beautiful. The artist never cut down a living tree. Folk would call him when large trees were knocked down by storms or for whatever reason. The detail was amazing.

We also did the Screaming Eagle chair lift. The air was a bit "Brisk" up there. LOL We had some folks warn us that it was "too cold". It was a bit nippy but definitely tolerable and worth the ride down for a spectacular view. Had I been in sandals and capris like some of the folks, I would have been miserable!

We did see some construction going on and it did detract somewhat from the overall beauty. But, we were on vacation and refused to take anything but the good home!

232323232%7Ffp43279%3Enu%3D3244%3E%3A83%3E942%3EWSNRCG%3D32334756554%3A4nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp43282%3Enu%3D3244%3E%3A83%3E942%3EWSNRCG%3D32334756554%3B7nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp43286%3Enu%3D3244%3E%3A83%3E942%3EWSNRCG%3D3233475657459nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp43286%3Enu%3D3244%3E%3A83%3E942%3EWSNRCG%3D323347565745%3Cnu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp43288%3Enu%3D3244%3E%3A83%3E942%3EWSNRCG%3D3233475657465nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp43288%3Enu%3D3244%3E%3A83%3E942%3EWSNRCG%3D3233475657467nu0mrj

Good photos from your trip on Grouse - the boys Coola and Grinder look like they were out in the open - the bird of prey display is across the main walkway from the bear exhibit - I have never seen the show so I can comment on how good it was - noticed that you did take into the logger's show - those guys are a couple of good comedians as well as real life loggers.

Cheers

Dennis

Archived