Car Rental In Cozumel..

laurenfl15

Im considering this option but have a few questions..

1) If you have booked one.. did you do it before you left or at the port?

2) What company did you use? How much did it cost?

3) Do they drive on the right side of the road there?

Any tips would be appreciated! Ive been to conzumel before so this time i want to "get off the beaten path" aka leave the port area :p and really explore!

1) If you have booked one.. did you do it before you left or at the port? - Before arrival

2) What company did you use? How much did it cost? - Rentadora ISIS - $35/day all inclusive, out the door, for a VW Beetle convertible, standard shift, no A/C.

3) Do they drive on the right side of the road there? -RIGHT Hand side, like in the U.S.

Any tips would be appreciated! Ive been to conzumel before so this time i want to "get off the beaten path" aka leave the port area :p and really explore!

Tip: do the East coast loop, by heading South from the port, and make as many stops along the route as you see fit, and as time allows. There's Coconuts, Chen Rio, Reggae Bar, Mezcalito's, to name a few, all are unique and interesting. :)

1) If you have booked one.. did you do it before you left or at the port?

2) What company did you use? How much did it cost? I've used Avis in Cozumel, no problem

3) Do they drive on the right side of the road there? just like in the US, the right side

Any tips would be appreciated! I've been to cozumel before so this time i want to "get off the beaten path" aka leave the port area :p and really explore!

Get the Cozumel Map from http://www.cancunmap.com

Be SURE to get the additional full coverage insurance.

1) If you have booked one.. did you do it before you left or at the port? Before we left.

2) What company did you use? How much did it cost? Less Pay $40 for the day - we rented a VW but they gave us a 4WD open air "jeep" for no additional cost. It was great.

3) Do they drive on the right side of the road there? Same as US. Very easy!

I agree with Bruce-r - get the map. It is great!!! The maps they give you at the car rental places do not compare. Also - you can start planning stops around the island before you even go.

I also agree with Scooter-n-GB - head south then to the Eastside then back the transverse road.

We went to Punta Sur - a real treat - it is on the map.

Enjoy.

• 1 month later...

It is safe to rent a car and drive in Cozumel. We rented 2 weeks ago from Margarita at Rentadora Isis. You can reserve online at: http://www.islacozumel.net/services/isis/. The cost to rent a VW bug (standard with no A/C) for the day was $30, including insurance coverage! You can do a loop around the island in less than a couple of hours, more if you make stops. There are some beautiful unspoiled beaches on the west side of the island. Have a great trip!

Archived