Question regarding timing risk

roborules

My wife & I will be taking our second cruise in early 2009. This time, we'll be bringing the kids (17F,14M). On our first cruise, we went on shore excursions operated by the cruise line in each port, and had a great time. With the entire family gonig this time, cost is a larger issue. Reading the forums, independent excursion operators seem to offer equivalent or better service, for close to half the price of cruise excursions. Almost seems like a no-brainer; but I'm not sure about the actual risks regarding the potential for not getting back to the ship in time. I'd have a family of 4 we'd have to somehow island hop or whetever to get back to the ship. I'm in for mild adventure, but nothing like being stranded with my kids. Is this a real risk, or is this just something the cruise lines stress to ensure most inexperienced people book excursions with them instead.

thanks in advance,

Rob

if you book through the cruiseline, they have to either wait for you or arrange transportation to meet the ship, usually the next port.

if you book through a independent vendor, their reputation depends on your word of mouth...but the ship has no responsiblity to wait for you or help you if you are stranded.

local vendor's lively hood depend on your being happy, they do everything they can to make sure you make it back in time.

sometimes you see a small boat bringing people to the ship. in belize, last dec, we had a tender boat rushing to catch the ship before it started moving. the crew had to drop the gangway. many times, i think it's people who were drinking and lost track of time?

belize is a tender port, you lose some time getting to and from the ship..since you can't just walk off. we did a ship excursions to lamanai, it was a ALL day trip...1st off and one of the last back.

Archived