Sloth Sanctuary

EJNutz

I've never been to that particular one, but have been to other rescue centres in Costa Rica and imo they're all worth it! We visit CR as much as we can and often see sloths in trees and think they are just such amazing creatures.

To be able to learn about them, see them up close and even hold one would truely be a one of a kind unique experience. The story behind the rescue center is definately another reason to go, why it exists and why those wonderful people do what they do.

I've attached a link for your information.

www.costarica.com/Places-To-See/Parks,-Reserves-and-Protected-Areas/-The-Sloth-Rescue-Center

also

www.slothrescue.org

This one takes you directly to The Buttercup Center Website

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I am also interested in answers to these questions. We are going to be here in October, and I really want to visit the sloths. Can anyone tell me if you get to handle them, or just look at them? TIA!

The proprietors allow you to hold one of the more mellow of the sloths, or at least did when we went. Also, they held one so people could pet her.

Sheila

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We just got back from our cruise...and LOVED the ship's sloth sanctuary tour. Our guide and bus driver were great and added a lot to our tour. The sanctuary was really nice. First we saw a video called the "Sloth Waltz" that was really cute. Then a guide took you to meet several sloths and talked about how they came to the sanctuary. After that we got into canoes and were rowed down a small river and saw many birds, butterflies, etc. After the canoe trip we were taken on an easy walk by our tour guide through a small part of the rain forest. Just wear tennis shoes or a shoe that can get wet. After our walk we were taken to the patio area where we were given plates of some of the best fruit I've ever eaten. While there they brought out containers full of sloth babies. They were so cute and we watched them and took pictures of them. We weren't allowed to touch them, but did pet "buttercup" at the beginning.

Very nice tour!

We just got back from our cruise...and LOVED the ship's sloth sanctuary tour. Our guide and bus driver were great and added a lot to our tour. The sanctuary was really nice. First we saw a video called the "Sloth Waltz" that was really cute. Then a guide took you to meet several sloths and talked about how they came to the sanctuary. After that we got into canoes and were rowed down a small river and saw many birds, butterflies, etc. After the canoe trip we were taken on an easy walk by our tour guide through a small part of the rain forest. Just wear tennis shoes or a shoe that can get wet. After our walk we were taken to the patio area where we were given plates of some of the best fruit I've ever eaten. While there they brought out containers full of sloth babies. They were so cute and we watched them and took pictures of them. We weren't allowed to touch them, but did pet "buttercup" at the beginning.

Very nice tour!

Thanks so much for the info! This sounds like so much fun!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We just did this tour last week and loved it. We booked directly through Aviarios via email. It was raining the day we went so we skipped the canoe trip and went to a banana plantation instead. The Sanctuary is an amazing place. The owners are very nice people. We felt it was a once in a lifetime experience. The sloths move so slow and mechanical. Its almost like they are robot puppets. They were the sweetest animals I have ever been around. You can tell the owners and volunteers really care about what they do. Our 5 & 6 year old daughters loved it as well!

• 3 weeks later...
We just did this tour last week and loved it. We booked directly through Aviarios via email. It was raining the day we went so we skipped the canoe trip and went to a banana plantation instead. The Sanctuary is an amazing place. The owners are very nice people. We felt it was a once in a lifetime experience. The sloths move so slow and mechanical. Its almost like they are robot puppets. They were the sweetest animals I have ever been around. You can tell the owners and volunteers really care about what they do. Our 5 & 6 year old daughters loved it as well!

It sounds like just the tour we want to do in Feb. If you booked with Aviarios directly was transportation from the ship provided?

Archived