Nervous about the bus......help please!

Izzy Bee

Ok..I like to know exact details so...

after we take the courtesy bus to the flea market, is the bus station very far?

and the part that makes me most nervous.....

Will they understand English?

Do they accept US Dollars?

Where is the bus station in Merida?

Is the shopping center close by the bus station in Merida?

Will we then have to hire a taxi to see the "must see" in Merida?

I hate to pay autoprogresso when we can do this for 3 bucks!

When the courtesy bus drops you at the flea market, just ask directions to the regular bus station. It's only two or three blocks. When you arrive at the Merida terminal, walk out to the street, turn right and walk three blocks to the central square in the historical area. I'm pretty sure the ticket counter will accept us$. While you explore the historical area you will notice the carriages waiting. By all means, take the carriage ride. 50 min for 20 bucks. It takes you out onto Paseo Montejo, a beautiful, upscale area with many old estate style homes and bldgs. When you purtchase your bus tickets, all you need to say is two for Merida. No language problem.

I think one of the great things about taking a tour is that you can avoid all the hassles of dealing with a foreign language, an unknown city, taking taxis, etc., all while you are under a time constraint of getting back to the ship. I'm all for going-it-alone and having an adventure, but if I get lost, no big deal - I generally don't have deadlines when I'm traveling.

Why not take the Autoprogreso tour this time, and when you come back to Progreso, do it yourself?

Don't worry. It is about three blocks from the shuttle stop. Turn right go two or three blocks and turn right again and you will see it. My best friend and I went last year. I am the adventurous kind and wanted to do it on my own.:D The language was not a problem at the bus stop or in Merida. Everyone was really helpful and I don't think we encountered anyone who did not speak english. Once you get to the station in Merida turn right and you will be just a few blocks from the square. When we were there we asked directions from one of the "tourist police". He was really helpful, and when a man came up and wanted to show us his craft store, the officer was very interested in what we were being told. :) We at no time felt unsafe, and we walked all over that city. Everyone was really friendly. The only thing I would caution you on is making sure that you leave plenty of time to get back. Remember the bus is public transportation. We made a lot of stops on the way back. It took about 45 minutes to an hour to get back. Chances are that you will be on the bus with other cruisers at least on the way there. That is the way it was for us. I would definitely do this on my own again. I would not pay for the tour. if you have any other questions you want answered from a newbie perspective, just let me know.

We are back today from our Fantasy cruise...first stop Progreso. THe ship arrrived kind of early...seven-ish??? (We had to be back on board at 3:30 as we sailed at 4:00). I'd been reading this board so that 'I'd know exactly what to do' and I still 'flubbed it'!!!!

First, I'd written off the ships tour to Merida as it was either $40 or $45 compared to the Autoprogreso tour which was $25. So we took the ships shuttle to the Progresso flea market still debating whether to take public transportation or the Autoprogreso tour to Merida.

The first thing we did when we arrived at the flea market was to take the $2 Progreso bus tour. (It was about 8:30 and the one-and-only daily Autoprogreso tour to Merida didn't leave untill 10:30...and we were still undecided as to how to get to Merida!!). The young tour guide on the Progreso tour bus said we had two public transportation options...the bus ($3-4 round trip) or a van service from outside the bus terminal ($5 round-trip). He said he'd opt for the van service which also ended up in the Merida main square (where the Cathedral and Government House are located) and which - like the bus - ran regularly back to Progreso. He said he'd point out the bus station on our little tour...he did and would probably have dropped us off there had we asked!!

Well, we chickened out and opted for the Autoprogreso tour. It was supposed to be 3 1/2 hours and we didn't buy the stuff we wanted to at the Progreso flea market (MUCH cheaper on everything than Cozumel the next day!!) thinking we'd be back there at 2:00 with plenty of time to do little shopping before getting back on the shuttle to the ship. Mistake!! The tour ended up being "4 1/2" hours (most of the time in Merida was on our own!!) and they took us directly back to the ship!!

The tour was not impressive. Our 'guide' was 80 years old without much to say. When he walked us into the Cathedral in Merida he said, 'This is the Cathedral' at which point we wandered off on our own rather than be led over to the Government House since we'd already been told what time to meet back at the square for the bus ride back.

So. This is what I would do if I get the chance to go back. I would get off the ship ASAP when the ship docks, take the shuttle to the flea market and head for the bus station!! (It's about 2+ blocks). I would then take the van and hopefully get it for the return trip but knowing that I have two reasonably priced options to get back to Progreso which really isn't that far and both of which stop at the main Merida square. Someone mentioned the horse drawn carriage ride but there is also a hop-on-off bus from tha main square that does a 1 hour, 45 minute Merida tour for $11. It was a brand new double decker bus with 'young' English speaking employees who HAD to be more informative than our Autoprogreso tour guide who was a BIG disappointment.

Then I would make sure to get back to the Progreso flea market in time to do my shopping there before catching the shuttle back to the ship.

We did the combo Dzibilchaltun/Merida tour. We got off the ship at 730 or 8ish. The Autoprogreso tour was 60 a piece for adults and the smallest (4yo) was free. This included all the entrance fees to Dzibilchaltun, passage to and from Progress and Merida, and a tour guide who guided us the entire time. We were happy. Ivan was our tour guide and we loved him. He was funny and really knowledgeable. We got some "fast food" delivered to the bus while in Merida for 5 dollars. It included a Coke, five corn tortillas, beef/chicken/or pork with onions and green peppers, salsa, chips, and some bean soup. It was pretty good. Worth it to know we would be back at the ship in time. Definitely shop in the market place in Progreso rather than Cozumel. The people were nicer and more likely to haggle with you.

Yes..our last trip to Progresso just consisted of flea market shopping and then I bought 10 tubes of retin A from the local drugstores! What a deal! But this time...no flea market as hubby was bored following me and passing out money!

We are going to do the bus tour and you guys helped me feel less nervous!

Just got back today. We took the local express bus to Merida. The bus was easy but couldn't find the tours once we got to Merida. Walked to the Catherdral & into the Artisans shops. Saw some buses but never a tour desk. Someone on our ship said they did the AutoProgresso $25 tour & they were shown 2 houses & left in the square for about 2 hours. I would opt for the Ship tour next time or just stay in Progresso.

By the way we ate lunch at Saint Bonnet & I had to ask for a coke 3 times & they tried to overcharge us after we ate our meal. My husband speaks Spanish & sfter he questioned the charges, they got changed.

Several drug stores located near the flea market square...look for the sign "Drugs"! Only problem we had was that hubby had a new $100.00 bill and the clerks passed it from person to person and declined to take it because it was new to them. Lucky for me, persons in our group had $20.00 (old) in their pockets and I just borrowed from them. I was not about to pass on the bargain of Retin A!

Where was the pharmacy located? Thanks..

There are several pharmacies around including one on the square in Merida.

We took the local bus to Merida the 1st of September from Progresso and then did the double decker tour which was great. Take small bills if using US money as we did have a hard time buying a couple of drinks in Merida. As far as the buses and the tour in Merida no problem with US money. The bus going and coming to Progresso was full but I did get to sit with a local college student on the way to Merida who knew some english and was very nice. He told me about a lot of the places we passed along the way. Merida a beautiful with lots of parks and beautiful landscapes along the tour route. Take lots of film!! Oh, if you do the double becker bus be sure to watch and duck or you will lose your head in a tree. I got a couple of neat pictures as we went under the trees while lying on me back. OH, the local buses are also run by Auto Progresso and it was marked well for us to be sure to get on the right bus back to Progresso.

I tried to enclose a could of pics but they will not transfer over. Sorry.

1. For a good map of Progreso, see http://mapserver.inegi.gob.mx/geografia/espanol/estados/yuc/imgs31/progreso.pdf.

The bus terminal in Progreso is on the north side of Calle 29, between Calles 80 and 82. As others have noted, it is only a few blocks from where the shuttle service from ships drops off and picks up. Do not expect to have much English spoken. The bus service is a typical suburban-type route that you would find in the United States, and picks up passengers at bus stops along the way between the two end terminals. For the record, the route of the bus is as follows.

Leaving Progreso bus terminal, right on Calle 29, left on Calle 82, continue on Highway 261 to Merida, continue on Av. Tecnologico, continue on Calle 60, right on Calle 16A, left on Calle 11, continue on Calle 62, left into Merida bus terminal between Calles 65 and 67. Leaving Merida bus terminal, left on Calle 62, right on Calle 69, right on Calle 64, right on Calle 35, left on Calle 60, continue on Av. Tecnologico, continue on Highway 261 to Progreso, continue on Calle 78, left on Calle 35, right on Calle 86, right on Calle 27, right on Calle 82, left into Progreso bus terminal.

2. I suggest the double deck bus tour in Merida operated by Turibus, an affiliate of ADO. See www.turibus.com.mx. There were very few tourists, and you have the option of getting off and continuing onward at a later time. The fare is only 100 pesos.

We have had major things happen to us in the last week, such as my husband suffered a heart attack in the wee hours last Sunday morning. We are thankful that he lived. He does not want to cancel the cruise and the Cardiologist also agreed that it would be fine for him to cruise.....

so...

Does the bus have air conditioning?

If not, if I book the 40 buck deal through Carnival, will that bus have ac?

Any other suggestions for us to do in Progresso?

I would like to ride in a van and just look out the window at the ruins from the comfort of the air conditioned van but this doesn't seem to exist!

Izzy. Not to worry. I'm 69 yrs old, four heart attacks (starting at age 36), two or three stints, first cardiac by-pass surgery 22 yrs ago, second last Nov. Oh! and an implanted defibrilator. Sometimes I travel alone, cruises or vacations in Merida/Progreso. And I'm not done yet. Always buy independent travel insurance. Merida has three or four good, modern hospitals. I forgot the total hip replacement this past Feb. And in Apr started riding a motorcycle.

The busses are air conditioned. Wear loose fitting shirts and a hat. Bottled water, soda, great beers and very good coffee is readily available everywhere. And plenty of good food.

A bad heart is not necessarily the end of the line.

Forget the van. Walking is good for us and so much more rewarding. Plenty of benches in the plazas for rest if needed. We aren't invalids unless we allow it.

If you need more info, email at hdawson228@aol.com

John

Yes, the Autoprogreso buses between Progreso and Merida are air-conditioned. They are typical second-class type buses. Take a look here for a full description of their equipment. http://www.autoprogreso.com/company.html.htm

I can't vouch for Carnival. Were I to guess the company uses Autoprogreso for their tours, though I would anticipate that the company would assign their newest and best equipment to the Carnival tours.

I did not see much to do in Progreso, but I'm sure you'll find others who have enjoyed themselves there.

It would not take much to get the regular route Autoprogreso bus from Progreso to Merida, and then walk about two blocks north to the zocalo. Just enjoy the city from there--there's plenty of park benches--perhaps seeing a few of the stores and sites that are present in the center of the city. Allow enough time to get back to the vessel. Buses operate about every 15 minnutes or so, and the trip takes about 45 minutes. You should be at the Merida bus terminal ready to return no less than 90 minutes before the time you should be back on board the vessel.

Archived