St John's Newfoundland

Sue L

We were there a few weeks ago off Explorer of the Seas. There really isn't much to do in St. John. It's an old seaport whose day is behind it. The major excitement was to take a tour to the river and see the rapids reverse (if you're there at the right time of day).

We were there a few weeks ago off Explorer of the Seas. There really isn't much to do in St. John. It's an old seaport whose day is behind it. The major excitement was to take a tour to the river and see the rapids reverse (if you're there at the right time of day).

I appreciate you answering but you went to St John's Nova Scotia, I am going to Newfoundland which is a completely different place about several hundred miles north of that.

Get yourself up Signal Hill or out to Cape Spear just to say you did. You will be pleasantly surprised. Great history and nice views.

or George Street..... many many pubs :)

or City Bus and schmooze the driver they are great talkers.

I appreciate you answering but you went to St John's Nova Scotia, I am going to Newfoundland which is a completely different place about several hundred miles north of that.

They were actually in Saint John, New Brunswick, which is my hometown. There is no St. John's in Nova Scotia--only in Newfoundland.

Of course we are an old seaport--We are one of the oldest cities in Canada. As for our day being behind us, there is currently a brand new Liquified Natural Gas Terminal under construction, a pipeline to the United States under construction, and construction on a second oil refinery is due to start soon. The part of the port where the cruise lines dock is only a small part of the harbour area. New retail centres are being built in parts of the city that are not visable from the port and new hotels are popping up like mushrooms. Saint John is on the edge of a major boom and the citizens are very excited and proud. We are most certainly not a city that has seen its day. I don't know how a person could make that assessment with a few hour's visit.

Mmmm! We walked around St John's and it was wonderful. LeftCoastBC is exactly right. We LOVED the port.

St. John's is one of my favourite places to visit. The harbour is so beautiful viewed from Signal Hill. We will be visiting there next summer on the Eurodam and it will be nice to revisit some of the unique places I remember.

They were actually in Saint John, New Brunswick, which is my hometown. There is no St. John's in Nova Scotia--only in Newfoundland.

I apologize for the misinformation, I didn't sleep very well that night...obviously. I loved your city when we were there several years ago.

I apologize for the misinformation, I didn't sleep very well that night...obviously. I loved your city when we were there several years ago.

Don't worry about it. You are not alone as it is a very common error.. The similar names are a major source of serious confusion. Years ago we were called St. John but the city changed the spelling to Saint John to help the situation. It causes problems such as people booking airline flights to the wrong city, going to the wrong city for meetings, booking rental cars in the wrong city etc.

I always correct people because we don't want our tourists making a mistake that will cost them money.

So glad to hear you enjoyed Saint John. It will be even nicer for the cruiseship passengers when the new terminal building is completed next month and in a few years there will be a second new terminal finished.

We will be arriving on the NCL Dream this Monday, due to the Labour Day holiday, will most of the stores be open for business. I read there is also a parade, will this be going thru the center of town.

The last time we were visitors by ship, we arrived on Canada's Thanksgiving Holiday and only a few stores were open.

Tks Pat

Archived