Is cave tubing really that awesome?

amy86

Hi all,

Trying to decide if we should book a cave tubing excursion with Major Tom while in Belize in October. I will be 5 1/2 weeks pregnant, and while I think the tour will be fine for me physically, DH and I are trying to gage whether 2 hours in a bus and 30-45 walk each way is worth it?? For those who have been - was it really that awesome?

Our 2nd choice is the Caye Caulker tour with Coral Breeze:

http://www.coralbreezetours.com/Belize/Caye/Caulker/cruise/snorkeling/current_category.15/Product.2/tours_add.html?t_product=2

We are pretty laid back people and all other excursions during our cruise will consist of various ways and locations to lay on a beach. :) So this would be our only "advanture" activity.

Just looking for any feedback...

Thanks!

Hi all,

Trying to decide if we should book a cave tubing excursion with Major Tom while in Belize in October. I will be 5 1/2 weeks pregnant, and while I think the tour will be fine for me physically, DH and I are trying to gage whether 2 hours in a bus and 30-45 walk each way is worth it?? For those who have been - was it really that awesome?

http://www.coralbreezetours.com/Belize/Caye/Caulker/cruise/snorkeling/current_category.15/Product.2/tours_add.html?t_product=2

We are pretty laid back people and all other excursions during our cruise will consist of various ways and locations to lay on a beach. :) So this would be our only "advanture" activity.

Thanks!

I don't know if I would call it awesome, but it is unique. The walk to the caves isn't over taxing. The guides give you a running commentary on the flora and fauna. The tubing is slow and easy for anyone in fair physical condition. You need to ask yourself if you will ever get a chance to do this again. If you plan on going back to Belize in the future, then you might want to go to Cay Caulker, but if you have doubts on returning, you should do it.

FYI the 30-45 min walk is only 1 way, on the way to the caves...it is only a couple minute walk back to the buses after you are done tubing as the river takes you downstream right back to the buses.

I honestly did not really enjoy the cavetubing, but most people love it. I was freezing the whole time, we had a couple linked up to us behind me and the woman's legs that were under my armpits were very spikey so that did not feel good. And her husband was a very large man and we kept getting grounded everytime there was shallow water (which was often). The guides, bless their hearts were great, but they had to keep coming back and freeing us so that we could continue on. So we ended up being the last group out and had NO time to change or use restrooms, i had to literally run to change into dry clothes so they wouldnt leave me. The caves, when we went, were so full of people that we were packed in front to back, side by side. People were pulling and shoving on each others tubes to get themselves through. Some people were screaming silly things and yelling to make echoes (which in a cave is VERY loud and annoying after a while). So basically I was expecting the tubing to be a relaxing lazy river...and at the end we were exhausted and couldnt wait to get back to the port. Now this was just my experience, I have not read anyone else's review that had these problems...

Sorry to vent, I am sure if it had not been so crowded it would have been great. Again, many many people LOVE the cave tubing. We went in May of last year.

My boyfriend and I did the cave tubing excursion through Reggie's, and had a great experience. Our driver/ guide was great and easy to talk to for the long car ride. While people who had booked through the cruise ship went tubing in groups of 40, we were just the three of us with our guide. I would strongly recommend booking through Reggie's instead of through the cruise lines.

the actual tubing was unlike anything i'd done before. it was a much better use of time than a typical scuba adventure or day at the beach.

I loved cave tubing. We used cave-tubing.com and had an awsome time. The bus ride was an hour but we got to see the country side of Belize and got away from the port. The ride went fast. Then we were able to hike through the jungles of Belize, very cool. The hike was easy and the guides even carried our tubes. We didn't even ask them to. The caves themselves are like no other caves I have ever seen. Out of all the excursions I did at all the various locations that our ship stopped at, this was my absolute fave.

We enjoyed cave tubing, something I am glad we did. We also used Reggie's. We actually had Reg leading our group, about 16 of us. They let us go ahead of the groups with Carnival, as those groups were so large. We got to go through one more cave.

We found Reg to be a great tour guide on the way to the caves as well.

We chose cave tubing for Belize because we had some fair haired people in our group and needed a day out of the sun. Next time I go to Belize I will take advantage of their beaches and snorkeling. It was fine for something differrent but we are basically beach and water people. Wasn't my favorite excursion.

Hi all,

Thanks!

Cave tubing is absolutely amazing though look at Cave-tubing.com. I just got back from my cruise last week. We have been to Belize before and this time went with Yhony to do the Cave-tubing. The guides carry your tube for you (well they carry the women's tubes--in Belize women don't carry their own tubes). It was no where near that long of a trip. I'd say it was maybe 45 minutes in the bus b/c he has these really nice Coach buses instead of the school buses. It probably does take longer in the old school buses. Then yes it was probably a 30 minute walk but it's completely flat. No hills and the worst was the humidity. There were several older people (as in over 60) that were on our trip with us and they didn't have any problem with the hike.

Of course that is all you do so it's hardly an "adventure" outing. After the walk, you are just floating in the tube. The guides pull you so you aren't even doing anything. Then you get out right there at the bus. Only about a 2 minute walk from the take out spot to the buses.

After we float through the first tube, we caught up with all the other tour groups (Major Toms, Carnival and one others). But with Cave-tubing.com we had 2 caves where as the others just did one cave. The Carnival photographer is there and he can't tell who is his group and who is with the others so he is taking pictures of everyone. It was kinda nice to be able to buy a picture afterwards if you wanted.

It's so relaxing and just a beautiful walk through the rainforest with all the lush greenery. Definitely worth it!

Hi all,

Thanks!

Definitely do cave tubing with Yhonny (cave tubing dot com). We are also laid back/beach people and wanted to do something different. The bus ride (we had the air-conditioned school bus) was 45 minutes and in itself an adventure! Our guide Keith (genie for the day!) was very informative about his country, entertaining and let us make pit stops along the way for beverages and restroom breaks. Also had samples of cashew wine! Yummy!

We were with a group of 24 which I arranged prior to the cruise. We left all valuables, clothes, money, etc. on board the bus with our driver, Sonny! (No one would ever mess with Sonny....he is a BIG dude) We linked up with an additional guide, Carlos before we hiked the rain forest for 30 minutes with our tubes, life vests and lamps. (I'm 56 & spouse is 60) It was hot but we are use to that in Florida. Also to note, I have a bad knee and a plate and screws in my ankle and had no problem with the walk!

When we reached the river, we were guided into our tubes and linked together. My nephew was brave enough to jump into the water from a 10-15 foot cliff. He loved it! Keith was extremely knowledgeable about the native plants, creatures(snakes,bats,etc.), river, and caves. We did two caves and it was crowded but he and Carlos seemed to get us through pretty easily. He even got us up close to the water falls! It was truly an amazing experience floating down the refreshing, crystal clear river! I would do it again in a heart beat!:D

On our way back it was a short walk to the bus. There were restrooms and a changing area. We boarded the bus and yes all our belonging were in tack! We stopped for beverages and Keith (guide) took our order and brought them back on the bus along with free tamales for everyone who wanted them....what a nice surprise! We payed at the end of the tour and did receive a discount since we had a large group.

Arrived back to the dock in plenty of time to shop and a drink at the Wet Lizard (about 1 hour).

I would highly recommend CAVE TUBING DOT COM .....Yhonny surely kept his promise about our adventure. Not only was he there to greet us in person, he found another couple in our group that didn't get on our tender and guided them personally to our bus! (I thought they were a no show, but Carol & Pete made it!)

I am totally impressed with this operation. There number one goal is for safety, fun, and service!

Enjoy the experience, you won't be disappointed if you choose CAVE TUBING DOT COM

Nancy

Keith was extremely knowledgeable about the native plants, creatures(snakes,bats,etc.), Nancy

My aunt has a HUGE phobia of snakes. have you or anybody else on here seen snakes while walking through the forest?

I never saw a snake....but I'm sure they are there.....warm tropical climate! I did see Keith our guide eat termites! He said they tasted minty and were all protein. Adam in our group volunteered to try the termites:p. He said they tasted like mint. Adam also had most of the cashew wine!:D

Nancy

My boyfriend and I did the cave tubing excursion through Reggie's, and had a great experience. Our driver/ guide was great and easy to talk to for the long car ride. While people who had booked through the cruise ship went tubing in groups of 40, we were just the three of us with our guide. I would strongly recommend booking through Reggie's instead of through the cruise lines.

the actual tubing was unlike anything i'd done before. it was a much better use of time than a typical scuba adventure or day at the beach.

Do you have contact info for Reggie's? Website maybe? The cave tubing looks great as long as I don't have to hang on to anyone with scruffy legs!

We just got back from the EOS and used Major Tom for the cave tubing adventure. One of the guides, George, kept us informed and amused during the bus trip(approx 1hr). The walk to the caves wasn't that bad. We stopped about 10 minutes in to cross the river, cool off, and jump from a ledge into the water if we chose to. The actual cave tubing was pretty neat. The guides explained some of the formations and took us by the waterfall. After the cave we free- floated back to the original river stop, and it was a short walk back to get changed. On the way back, we stopped for a quick lunch on the road(chicken, rice and beans, cole slaw, juice), that was worth the extra $5. We also made a quick stop at a store to but cashew wine(too sweet for my taste) and beer.

We got back in time to do some shopping.

All in all we had a great time. My daughters had a blast.

Thanks to Major Tom and his crew. It was well worth the $50 ($45+$5 for lunch).

I loved cave tubing. We used cave-tubing.com and had an awsome time. The bus ride was an hour but we got to see the country side of Belize and got away from the port. The ride went fast. Then we were able to hike through the jungles of Belize, very cool. The hike was easy and the guides even carried our tubes. We didn't even ask them to. The caves themselves are like no other caves I have ever seen. Out of all the excursions I did at all the various locations that our ship stopped at, this was my absolute fave.

I totally agree! We did the cave tubing with cavetubing.com and my family of 5 loved it. They took such good care of us. Make sure you take a water camera because we didn't and were very sorry. Do it!

We have done the cave tubing on a ship shore excursion. I have to say that it was one of the best shore excursions we have ever done. I don't recall how long the bus ride was, but the walk through the jungle to the river, as I recall, was nowhere near 30-45 mins. I think it was more like 20 mins. I will never forget putting my tube in the river, sitting in it, and then floating around a big bend and all of a sudden catching sight of this big gaping hole in the rock with green plants hanging down over the opening. It was like something out of an Indiana Jones movie. I can't say enough about how great this experience was. At points during the float, you would come to sections where the cave ceiling had fallen in and there were lots of beautiful large green plants growing and the sun was streaming in. It was absolutely beautiful. I would do this trip again in a heartbeat.

• 3 weeks later...
Cave tubing is absolutely amazing

While I will say cave tubing is amazing the walk we took with Major Tom was not flat at all. There were stairs up and then stairs down there were inclines and there were many river rocks that keep me unbalanced during the walk.

The tubing thru the caves were awesome but I wish there hadn't been so a long and hilly walk to get the opening of the cave,:)

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from the Carnival Legend and we cave tubed with cave-tubing (dot) com. We didn't get off the ship until almost 8:35 due to customs, but were on shore a few mins after 9:00 and made it right outside the terminal in time for the first tour at 9:15.

What a great group of guys! Everyone was VERY concerned about safety, even to say that if we made it to the water and ANYONE was uncomfortable about getting in, they didn't have to and didn't have to pay! Of course everyone ended up going. Our guides were Evan and Elivs. We also had guides, Akon, Keith, Marcus and a few others can't remember their names.

The bus ride was pretty long, a good hour, but on the way there the guides took turns telling us stuff about the island and the people and about the tour we were going on. They also passed out cashew wine shots, wasn't for me, but many really liked it.

We then dropped off a small group that was doing the ATV combo, we never saw them again as they went with a different group so we didn't have to wait on them.

Once we got to the tube site, we had time to change into suits and they passed out head lamps, tubes (all sizes) and life vests. There were police Everywhere!!! Don't know if this was normal or added since the death of a fellow cruiser a couple weeks ago. The police were making sure the guides had the correct paperwork/certification to bring guests to the caves, and to make sure there was at least 1 guide per 8 guests.

As we started off our walk through the rainforest our guide Elvis pointed out lots of interesting things as we went and took pictures of us (with our camera) We went into a dry cave and there were some bats flying around!!

The walk was at a fast pace, but not bad at all, probably 30 mins. Pretty level for the most part. And my DH carried my tube for me. The guides also could carry up to 4 tubes and helped out the ladies and the one child we had in our group. We had a large group, 48 guests with 6 guides.

Somehow we ended up in the largest group in the water, we were in two rows of 8 with a guide in front and a guide in back. The other groups had 8 with 1 guide. It was a little awkward to hold the persons feet behind you, the tube on the side of you and have the person in front of you hold your feet. It was all VERY SAFE, but not very comfy. The lady holding my feet actually crushed it one time in a little rapid between her camera and her arm - ouch! But we all stayed together and the guides were able to get us down the river safely.

The water was chilly! There wasn't any sun that day to get us all hot on the walk. The water was 76 degrees they said. I got chilled in the caves when the water would drip down on you. The caves were cool, saw a group of little bats.

Finally we got back to the rope line and the guides helped us all get out. The walk is Very short from there back to the changing area.

Since we had so much time we all agreed to stop at the ATV site and get some food and drinks. They had pop, beer, ice cream, chips, and tamales. I didn't try them but my DH had 2 and loved them! We also bought some T-Shirts for $10 each. Everything was very reasonably priced. This was about a 25 min stop.

Then on the way back a lady asked to stop at a local fruit stand and for $10 bought the entire bus tons of bananas and different fruits and melons. Very good! We made it back to the pier by 2:30. We really didn't do much shopping so we grabbed the next tender and was back on the ship by 3:00. We had to be back on board by 4:00 for a 5:00 sail.

Overall we thought the cave-tubing itself was okay. Nice to do once. But as for the tour group themselves - awesome! Safety first all the way.

Also, some posts have said stuff about yelling in the caves. We didn't do this at all. In fact we actually turned our lights out for a few seconds of dark and quite in respect for the Mayan's that use to use the caves. Also, back on the bus on the way back to the pier is when you pay, and they just said if we thought the guides did a great job they were accepting tips and would greatly appreciate them. Nothing more was said about tips. One guy collected the fee and another followed behind collecting any tips people gave them.

We just returned also. My family and I did the cave tubing with cave-tubing.com. We meet at the area as instructed, After about 20 minutes we were told to walk down to the other bus. Again waited quite some time before we boarded. Interesting because we then drove to the original spot to pick up more people. We drove to the atv area and dropped off several that were doing both the cave tubing and atv.

Headed to the cave tubing area. It had now been 2 hours since we left the ship and met them. We did not walk through, More like a jog till we reached the river. Then were told we would have to wait for the atv group. There would only be time to do one cave. About 20 minutes later

that group showed up, with the guides carrying their tubes. So what was the rush in racing to the river. Just to wait 20 minutes or more for the other group? Now we are linked together with a young girl about 9 years old in the front. The river is very high and fast, the guides were working very hard to get us through. We went into a boulder or side of the cave (was hard to tell) but the young girl hit her legs and scraped one down the boulder as they were getting us in position again. After that all went well.

Once back we had been told that our belongings would be safe in the bus.

But it was filled with other people. So how safe were they? More delay while they emptied the bus out and got us on. There was no time for the lunch we ordered. We stopped briefly at the atv site and off to the ship.

He did hand out soda and chips and beer or water.

So many were unhappy with all the delays and told him so. He was very nice. And came up with a lot of excuses for the delays.

Others on the ship who went with different guides same company. Did 2 caves, and had lunch. Plus time to change.

I think these tour operators are trying to squeeze to many tours into one.

I also feel that this is not the time of year to do this tour. The river is to

high the current is to strong. And many ants biting you even with the deet.

I had done this in April when the river was low and no current. Had done 3 caves, lunch, and a relaxing walk to get there while the guide pointed out various plant life.

I am usually a go with the flow person, But this was so disorganized I would never recommend them. They did not deliver what we booked.

Archived